Not good

cyballrulz93

SuperFanatic
Jan 11, 2010
This is a round of 32 level team folks.

We’ll probably still get a halfway decent seed and win one game against a weaker opponent, but that will be it IMO. We won’t beat a round 32 level opponent.
And we all would have signed up for a Round of 32 team in November. I think we all got a little drunk on the Kool-Aid after we started the conference season 4-0. In reality, this is a flawed team that is getting exposed in the best conference in the country. We are what we are, and that's a middle of the pack Big 12 team. Which again, we all would have signed up for in November.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Key play down the stretch. Gabe makes two free throws to put us up 5 with near a minute left. They miss and the rebound gets somehow passed or tipped out to Obanor. (why the heck wasn't he under the basket rebounding, I dont know). He proceeds to nail the baseline 3. One rebound there and we win the game. Not a good night for Osun at all.
Twice late in the game Osun didn’t step in front of the ball handler because he was hunting a block. Both times they scored.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
This is a round of 32 level team folks.

We’ll probably still get a halfway decent seed and win one game against a weaker opponent, but that will be it IMO. We won’t beat a round 32 level opponent.

That'd be cool and a good tourney historically.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Just a tip, don't predict what the team will do in the future. You will just look stupid.

And any post predicting what the other team will do or not do needs to be removed.

Someone posted something like 'good to get an essy win' at half time and my ears got a little hot.

• Funny
Reactions: stateofmind

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
We have some coaching problems. Lots of trouble inbounding and getting down the court. There's gotta be schematic ways to help this out more. I know guys playing the game are the ones making passes and putting up shots, but repeated turnovers of the same flavor and 12 minute scoring droughts being a trend eventually becomes a coaching issue. There must be a way to break the cycle, no matter what play or personnel it takes just to get going again. Get guys in positions to score points. We had long stretches of not even getting a single shot off.

We have some player problems, too. Lipsey killed us in the second half. Terrible TOs, bad passes, no shooting, no driving, you've got to do something. There's a reason everyone else was struggling, too, they're playing 4v5 because Lipsey was regularly unguarded and doing nothing to make himself deserve respect. Even taking and missing shots is preferable to turnovers and run-outs. We also re-learned that we struggle terribly without Grill. Most of the latter part of the second half when TTU was steaming back -- he's on the bench due to foul trouble. Not a coincidence, it's a trend. Looked eerily like the OSU game.

Having lost both OSU and TTU, my guess is our 'Chip hopes are done. So be it, a 10/11 win finish is still good for what we expected going in...but it wasn't our full potential.

cyclo120

Apr 11, 2006
Well if you are going to have the 2 game stretch we just had, I guess the most positive thing I can find is the back half was a Monday and we have until Saturday to figure some things out. This upcoming game will tell us a lot about staff and team.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
The free throws continue to exasperate me. We were 12-21, they were 26-37? Good thing Big Rob was 2-2 or it would have been worse.

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
We have some coaching problems. Lots of trouble inbounding and getting down the court. There's gotta be schematic ways to help this out more. I know guys playing the game are the ones making passes and putting up shots, but repeated turnovers of the same flavor and 12 minute scoring droughts being a trend eventually becomes a coaching issue. There must be a way to break the cycle, no matter what play or personnel it takes just to get going again. Get guys in positions to score points. We had long stretches of not even getting a single shot off.

We have some player problems, too. Lipsey killed us in the second half. Terrible TOs, bad passes, no shooting, no driving, you've got to do something. There's a reason everyone else was struggling, too, they're playing 4v5 because Lipsey was regularly unguarded and doing nothing to make himself deserve respect. Even taking and missing shots is preferable to turnovers and run-outs. We also re-learned that we struggle terribly without Grill. Most of the latter part of the second half when TTU was steaming back -- he's on the bench due to foul trouble. Not a coincidence, it's a trend. Looked eerily like the OSU game.

Having lost both OSU and TTU, my guess is our 'Chip hopes are done. So be it, a 10/11 win finish is still good for what we expected going in...but it wasn't our full potential.
I want to second the first point with the caveat that I am very impressed by this staff overall. I have eaten a lot of crow with TJ and he's been awesome, he has the program in a place with a VERY bright future.

I do think that a simple man press shouldn't be such an enormous feat to overcome for two straight years, though. Teams that don't really press are able to do it consistently without giving up easy buckets and it absolutely kills the offense.

Even the token presses are a killer, as the makeup of the roster makes the offense very reliant on ball movement to get an open look. When you lose a third of the clock each possession and you're already relying on more of it than almost any other team, you're gonna struggle.

IMO, there needs to be more emphasis on the ability to handle the ball under pressure for almost every spot on the roster. Guys have to be able to get the ball up the court more easily and can't be thrown off so much when the defense gets aggressive. Gotta be able to attack and exploit that stuff instead of be put on your back foot.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm and cayin

Darius Bieber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2017
San Antonio, TX
The free throws continue to exasperate me. We were 12-21, they were 26-37? Good thing Big Rob was 2-2 or it would have been worse.
We need to get a team sports psychologist on board to figure out our poor FT shooting.

It’s like kickers in football, it’s all mental. These guys have played basketball their entire life and should be able to make FTs. They probably do fine during practice. But in games, it’s different.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

Cupped

Feb 11, 2016
Well if you are going to have the 2 game stretch we just had, I guess the most positive thing I can find is the back half was a Monday and we have until Saturday to figure some things out. This upcoming game will tell us a lot about staff and team.

I like your thinking. Also, despite 2 terrible losses we are still only one game out of first place in the league.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
We need to get a team sports psychologist on board to figure out our poor FT shooting.

It’s like kickers in football, it’s all mental. These guys have played basketball their entire life and should be able to make FTs. They probably do fine during practice. But in games, it’s different.
Holding a lead late is an issue between the free throws and a press with several guys who don’t handle the ball well.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Sorry…. I’ve set my expectations higher for this team after what they’ve shown.

I should have known better I guess.

You realize we're in an era where a 16 over a 1 isn't a surprise?

ISU could go undefeated from here on out and still only win a game or none in the tourney.

They've been finnickey at times in the season. They're pretty good but have their limits.

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
Brutal in every single facet that second half. Officiating was a joke. Otz's coaching and decision making even moreso. Lipsey making several egregious passes and turnovers. Robert Jones being absolutely abused. Then Tech daring Lipsey to shoot the ball and having him, consistently, even forego 13 footers. At some point Lipsey needs to shoot the ******* ball. He's quickly becoming a liability when he doesn't.

Otz deserves the bulk of the blame for absolutely horrendous game management and rotational decisions. Tech was absolutely looking to make us switch Jones at the top of the arc. Once that happened they were looking to drive on him at will. If Osun isn't out there King needs to be the guy to play the 5. He's an excellent defender that can handle guards and bigs. You would have thought King hit on Otz's wife or something with how he rode the bench.

The other major gaffe was keeping Lipsey in the game once the implosion started. He should have been taken out of the game, with Holmes running point. I love Lipsey and know he's vital to the team, but I think it did more damage (in this game and to his confidence) by leaving him in there.

We also completely collapsed on the defensive end of the floor. The ridiculous officiating affected that, but we lost our intensity and never got it back. That spilled over to rebounding which was utterly pathetic in the 2nd half. Again, King is our best rebounder around the rim and he hardly played over those last 10 minutes. We needed his presence and rebounding on the floor.

Watching is clank free throws is getting old and it killed us again tonight. Meanwhile Tech nailed there's, especially in crunch time. That sealed the deal.

IMO this is the worst loss in the history of the program, in terms of the loss itself and how it happened. In terms of significance, the Hampton loss was worse, but imploding with a 23 point lead in the second half is a worse feat.

Otz has done wonders and this team wouldn't be what it is without him, but he didn't earn his paycheck today. One of the worst coaching performances Ive seen during a stretch of basketball. Still can't believe what I just saw.
I slept about as well as after the Hampton loss-dang it!

• Agree
Reactions: cayin

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron