NIL & Realignment: Change Your Interest?

How will NIL and conference realignment impact your interest in college sports?

• I will gain interest and follow more.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Probably won't change much at all.

Votes: 103 46.4%
  • I will lose interest and follow less.

Votes: 116 52.3%

• Total voters

Cysational

Jul 26, 2012
Overland Park, KS
With NIL and conference realignment you hear people claim they'll lose interest in college sports and viewership will decrease resulting in a bunch of regrets. History indicates that those in control have always been corrupt, realigning, greedy, inconsistent, political, or however you want to generalize them. Despite that, we have all still rooted for, watched, and supported our team likely because we are vested and take pride in our school. IMO, I don't see that changing and no matter what comes of college athletics I'd have the same interest in my team/school and whatever league they're affiliated with. What the athletes are doing on the "field" doesn't change. Curious if the majority feel similar or if doom and gloom is truly around the corner.

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
I only lose interest if ISU ends up somehow relegated to a "lower league". Even then, I probably still follow ISU as intensely as ever. But I'm not going to tune in Penn St vs Michigan game at Noon on a Saturday if ISU is not playing on the same stage with a chance at the same playoff as them.

The conference affiliation, the money exchanges, will make me grumble but that's about it.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
With NIL and conference realignment you hear people claim they'll lose interest in college sports and viewership will decrease resulting in a bunch of regrets. History indicates that those in control have always been corrupt, realigning, greedy, inconsistent, political, or however you want to generalize them. Despite that, we have all still rooted for, watched, and supported our team likely because we are vested and take pride in our school. IMO, I don't see that changing and no matter what comes of college athletics I'd have the same interest in my team/school and whatever league they're affiliated with. What the athletes are doing on the "field" doesn't change. Curious if the majority feel similar or if doom and gloom is truly around the corner.
We will see what happens but this is the first time in history 30+ schools could be wiped out of the top league for participation. Schools that have had a seat at the highest level for decades.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
For ISU games, and games with some relation to that, I'd say my interest is as strong as ever. For programs that are giving silly money to players, I've lost interest dramatically. Where before I watched because they played for the love of the game, now it is largely semi-pro, and I've never had any interest in that.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I think you have to understand the context people are saying it in. I’ve said it and I’m still in that kind of wait and see mode.

Personally I make sacrifices to other parts of my life to support Iowa State. Depending on how the next year or so goes I’m going to stop making some of those sacrifices. I might not donate and I might not buy tickets for events. I have other things I’ve been putting off that I can do instead. I will still cheer for Iowa State and all but it won’t be the center of my planning anymore.

Reactions: nwiacyclonefant

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
It's still pretty unbelievable that greed and television are going to wipe out the Pac 10/12, Big 8/Big 12, and ACC. Just an incredibly shortsighted and sad turn of events.

It won't change my viewing habits that much. My viewing priorities are always:

1. Iowa State
2. Whoever is playing Iowa
3. Big 12 games
4. Important Big 10 game
5. Important SEC game

I can take or leave 4 and 5. I'll still show up to cheer against Iowa if they are in the higher league, but that's about it.

I can be naive in my optimism, but I don't think it will ever get to a point where the non-P2 leftovers don't have access to the championship playoff or whatever process is in play in the future. I think some of the ADs and commissioners have heard the almost unanimous backlash to this, and they'll be more cautious when proceeding to the next step in the evolution of the sport (superconferences, NFL Lite). But when the money gets put in front of their face, who knows, usually doesn't work out for the fans.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
For me it greatly depends on exactly how it shakes out.

If there is a Premier League with 20-30 brand names, and ISU is in a large, nationwide B League with 40-50 respectable schools, that wouldn't bother me at all. Frankly it might be better.

If there ends up a P2 with 24 teams each, and ISU is one of the leftovers in a 20ish team setup making G5 type money and attention, then I would probably follow a lot less. Like my favorite MLB and NFL teams - I would check the scores, if I remember to. But certainly won't spend any money on it.

I am still more concerned about the NIL / instant transfer / free agency thing. They need to get that sorted out for competitive balance. If moneyed teams can buy up your 10 best guys every year, then that's just disgusting. Can the Yankees buy the best players? Sure. But at least the teams drafting have contracts and have a chance to keep them. This is a tough circle to square, but they have GOT to figure it out.

• Informative
Reactions: Cysational

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I will always watch ISU avidly. My interest in the rest of college football has dropped off quite a bit the last several years. I really only watch ISU and the occasional BIG12 game or Gopher game if it is convenient and I'm looking for something to do. I still check scores and have a decent idea of what is going on everywhere but don't watch the games.

Part of the reason for the drop off is that ISU isn't really effected by most everything else so I just don't care and it's always the same few teams at the top. The other reason is I have a hard time giving up the entirety of my fall weekends watching football (I also watch way less pro football then I used to). I have too much other stuff I'd rather be doing.

If it becomes a P2 and ISU is left out I will still watch ISU but will barely tune into the P2.

• Useful
Reactions: 2122 and Cysational

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
As for realignment, I'm kind of excited by the idea of having some new opponents. Completely ignoring the financial repercussions, I like the idea of having some new teams to play. It will be fun to get to know other teams and their fanbases.

With NIL, I think it's just caused me to never count on any continuity from season to season. I think you just have to get used to relearning rosters on a yearly basis. But it doesn't impact my interest or my desire to see Iowa State win. It's just adjusting to the unknown each off season.

• Agree
Reactions: Cysational

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I'm sure I'll still tune into some random games, but if ISU ends up in a lower division, I'll completely tune out of any pre and post-game coverage/highlights that are not directly tied to ISU.

I've already dropped most of it due to the percentage of coverage given to the top 5%, but if it gets worse? Hell no.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
I will go back to high school sports much more. There are athletes you love and hate and teams and coaches you love and hate. I haven't followed high school as close in 15 years. I like parity or at least attempted or feigned parity. Why not raise scholarship limits? That would give more young people a chance at an education.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I will go back to high school sports much more. There are athletes you love and hate and teams and coaches you love and hate. I haven't followed high school as close in 15 years. I like parity or at least attempted or feigned parity. Why not raise scholarship limits? That would give more young people a chance at an education.
If you're looking for parity in high school sports, I've got a great deal on some land in Arizona for you....

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
If the Big12 adds some new blood from the Pac12, I would be excited and continue to follow ISU. My Cyclone support will always be strong.

My overall interest in college football is probably a wait & see approach. I will try to stay optimistic, but there is a lot going on that could diminish my overall interest in college sports go forward.

FilthyShadow

Sep 21, 2011
Until ISU is within CFP consideration, and I'm talking 12-1 or13-0 while in a Big12 or equivalent league realignment means nothing to me.
NIL will cause me to lose interest as rich get richer, same teams in CFP and players will be less motivated and performance will drop since they are already counting their money.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Assuming the Big12 expands by adding PAC schools, and in the future ACC schools, and isn’t left out of the expanded playoff model… I will still follow just the same.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I’ll follow ISU but there’s little chance I’m throwing 3 hours at watching a Big10 or SEC game anymore. It’s turned into a game of who can pay the most and I have no interest in that **** measuring contest. I’ll probably start watching more NFL if I need a football fix.

That being said, I’ll probably still tune into college basketball because I enjoy it too much.