Nice ESPN article on Park's growth

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
Thought it was a great article. I'm sure most of us already knew his background coming to ISU, but I for one, am very excited to see what he can do with a full spring this year and being ready to roll come Fall.

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB
Some pretty heave stuff in the article.-- He’s going to find a way to be successful. And he’s going to be an NFL quarterback if he keeps his head on straight.”

I guess I hadn't really thought of a ceiling for Park.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I was in Camp Lanning last fall, but I'm also hoping that Park knocked off a lot of rust, and has a Solomon Young-esque awakening :cool:

Reactions: cyfan21

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Love 'em both, Park and Lanning. Hope both have great success this fall (yeah, everybody who sweats cardinal and gold wants that, but sometimes, though, you just gotta say the obvious out loud, right?).

I like the Dean Carlson-George Amundsen comparisons to Park-Lanning, but, heck, we got David Montgomery and Mike Warren, too, and that's different from back then, I think. Man, I can still see DM turning the corner late in the season with speed and power. Zoooooom man.

I'm having a difficult time figuring out how to confuse a defense with both Park and Lanning on the field together because that would scream "trick play!" But, I'll bet CMC and CTM can envision something cool. That's why they get the big bucks and the rest of us sit in the stands ;-)

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Campbell and Manning have talked about working on ways to get both Park and Lanning on the field at the same time. I can't wait to see how they do it.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
Park is the most talented QB we have had since Seneca, easily. If he works his arse off then he could end up breaking some school single season records this year.

No doubt about it.... For me - the telling sign was the first time i saw him look downfield - it was covered and he moved his head to a second and a third receiver for a 4 yard completion. Thats when i knew we had a qb.... all too often our offense was predicated on quick fast throws - single read timing plays - easily defensed. That could be a large part because the QB had no time... But, the way park sat in the pocket and surveyed the field - it looked like a Georgia QB and lately thats a huge compliment!

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
Love 'em both, Park and Lanning. Hope both have great success this fall (yeah, everybody who sweats cardinal and gold wants that, but sometimes, though, you just gotta say the obvious out loud, right?).

I like the Dean Carlson-George Amundsen comparisons to Park-Lanning, but, heck, we got David Montgomery and Mike Warren, too, and that's different from back then, I think. Man, I can still see DM turning the corner late in the season with speed and power. Zoooooom man.

I'm having a difficult time figuring out how to confuse a defense with both Park and Lanning on the field together because that would scream "trick play!" But, I'll bet CMC and CTM can envision something cool. That's why they get the big bucks and the rest of us sit in the stands ;-)

If I remember correctly (I self-medicated too much back then), the Carlson/Amundsen plays started with Carlson at QB and Amundsen split out. Carlson threw/lateraled to Amundsen who threw down field. They did this a time or two, then changed it. Sometimes they reversed positions, sometimes double throws before advancing the ball. Yes, many people knew it could be a trick play but they developed so many options that you didn't know which one but you knew something good was going to happen.

Hearing rumors of Lanning playing several positions make a lot of sense to me. Just like Amundsen, Lanning has a great combination of ability, toughness, and determination to be a real threat. He may not be the best in the country at any one position but he may be the best at multiple positions.

Reactions: CyValley