Next coach?

CloneVIII

Dec 16, 2016
I see a lot of names are being tossed around for the head coaching position, but what guidelines are they using to determine who would the right candidate to return ISU to wrestling elite? Let’s see what happens when a specific set of criteria is used to filter the candidates for the position.

The criteria is as follows:

1) Head coach preferred, but there are also several Assistant Coaches out there that qualify.

2) Must have been part of a National Championship team, whether as a wrestler or coach.

3) Must be from a program that has a consistent top ten placement at the NCAA Tournament.

4) Must have been at least a Division 1 All-American – the coach needs to be able to relate what challenges their wrestlers encounter at this level of competition

5) Team coaching must have a consistent record of NCAA qualifiers, All-Americans, and National Champs.

Okay, five very demanding, but specific, attributes needed to be considered for the position. Let’s see who qualifies:

1) Kevin Dresser-Virginia Tech – Should be the #1 focus of the search…period!

His credentials speak for themselves, best pure development of talent out there, so here’s why he would take the job-

A) Iowa roots and wants to return and prove that he’s a better coach than Tom, Terry, & Co.

B) Pollard offers $220,000, which is about a 65% raise from his current salary, and puts him near the ballpark of the top five wrestling programs coaches.

C) Understands the Cyclone’s place in wrestling history and wants to be remembered as the one who restored the program to its previous glory.

D) He’s a coaching legend in Virginia and can also become a legend in everywhere, ot just Iowa.

E) Knows he will be inheriting a team with great talent and supporters.

Why he won’t take the job-

A) Has lived about as many years of his life in Virginia (since 1988) as in Iowa, his wife and children are lifelong Virginia residents, may not want to leave Virginia.

B) Virginia Tech may want to not lose Dresser and make a competitive offer to keep him there.

C) At 52, he’s happy with his success and may not care or want to “rebuild” another program.

D) Super diehard Hawk and in no way does he want to be a Clone!

2) J Jaggers – Ohio State

A) Has been an assistant under Tom Ryan since graduating in 2009 and the Assistant Coach for the last 6 years, which includes being the Assistant Coach on the 2015 NCAA Champion team. Two-time NCAA Champ and all other criteria met.

3) Damian Hahn – Cornell

A) Two-time NCAA Champ, member Minnesota 2002 National Championship team, Assistant Coach for the last 11 years and Associate Head Coach at Cornel for the past four seasons.

4) Eric Guerrero – Oklahoma State

A) Three-time NCAA Champ, 12 years on coaching staff during which OK State won four NCAA Championships, promoted to the role of associate head coach prior to the 2012-13 season, and stellar international wresting career as well.

5) Mark Perry – Illinois

A) Meets all criteria, but hasn’t really coached on a National contender. Still, incredibly talented wrestler and eager to coach from THE first family of US wrestling! Pedigree deserves serious consideration!

Granted, all of these coaches would have to WANT to come ISU, and Pollard needs to step-up and prove he is committed to the Iowa State Wrestling tradition.

Reactions: Clone83

CloneVIII

Dec 16, 2016
I really don't understand the need for a smaller facility for wrestling competitions. Hilton worked just fine when ISU was winning national titles! Success fills seats, don't think smaller!!!! Cael's decision bring on that the "curtain" needs to go away!!

• Agree
Reactions: jmb1498 and Clone83

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I really don't understand the need for a smaller facility for wrestling competitions. Hilton worked just fine when ISU was winning national titles! Success fills seats, don't think smaller!!!!

Penn State, for all of their success, still wrestles most of their home duals in Rec Hall, which holds less than 7,000. They only go to the hoops arena once or twice per season.

Oklahoma State wrestles at GIA all the time, but it's rarely more than half full.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
I really don't understand the need for a smaller facility for wrestling competitions. Hilton worked just fine when ISU was winning national titles! Success fills seats, don't think smaller!!!! Cael's decision bring on that the "curtain" needs to go away!!
I don't mind the curtain when the crowd is smaller. However I agree that the goal should be to fill Hilton against top rivals. One reason to have a separate facility would be to have a better home schedule. The home schedule the last few years has been horrible and I don't know if it's because the coaches have not been organized or because of Hilton conflicts.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA

When Cael was here, both as a wrestler and a coach, there was more buzz around the program than there had been since the late 80s and the title years you mention. When he took over as coach, we were beating just about everybody but Iowa, including Oky State. I was a season ticket holder and with the exception of the Iowa dual, 5000 was a huge crowd. I'm honestly not sure we ever got to that number. I suppose if someone came in and completely took over the state and started handing it to Iowa on a consistent basis we might steal some of their bandwagoners and bring back the fringe ISU wrestling fans to bump our numbers, but based on everything I've seen in the last 2 decades it seems like we're miles from that.

It'd be great if you were right, but I just think the dynamic has changed and those days are gone. As someone else mentioned, even tOSU and Penn State wrestle most of their duals in their smaller arenas, unless one of the big boys are in town, and those are both wrestling crazy states.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
I agree with ca4cy...secret recipe to fill Hilton on a regular basis:
1. Beat Iowa
2. Win multiple NCAA team titles
3. Beat Iowa
4. Beat Iowa

Reactions: jmb1498 and Clone83

isit

Feb 9, 2014
Heskett. Although my prior "drool fest" comment may have been a poor choice of words, Pollard wouldn't be coloring outside the lines much with this choice. Wouldn't be a top 3 choice in my books, but if I were wagering, my money is here. I'd be the guy who would have someone like Zaddick as a personal preference.
The 'not so obvious' choice of Heskett fits JP nicely. If you didn't picture his Takedown Radio segment from two weeks ago as an interview of sorts, i challenge you to go back and listen again. He has proven he can do more with less while at Army. THAT is impressive what he did recruiting there, acknowledging it helps to have roots in a wrestling hot bed. Also a proven master technician. Familiar with conference. Folks, this is about as safe as it can get, while also hitting the long ball with some key boosters. If you have ever met him, you can attest that he could easily be the face of the program. Just a fantastic attitude and representative. Sure, I know the naysayers will say that there is no way he goes from AAD position back to coaching ranks...like that's never been done before. Didn't research what he makes now and have enough real-life experience to know that's not what makes everyone tick. And even if it hasn't been done before...Joe strikes me as the type of person who would wear the badge of, what, the 8th or 9th? wrestling coach in ISU history as a badge of honor. His most recent bio: http://www.wvusports.com/staffDirectory.cfm?func=view&staffID=2409

• Agree
  • Dislike
Reactions: matclone and cyputz

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
Heskett. Although my prior "drool fest" comment may have been a poor choice of words, Pollard wouldn't be coloring outside the lines much with this choice. Wouldn't be a top 3 choice in my books, but if I were wagering, my money is here. I'd be the guy who would have someone like Zaddick as a personal preference.
The 'not so obvious' choice of Heskett fits JP nicely. If you didn't picture his Takedown Radio segment from two weeks ago as an interview of sorts, i challenge you to go back and listen again. He has proven he can do more with less while at Army. THAT is impressive what he did recruiting there, acknowledging it helps to have roots in a wrestling hot bed. Also a proven master technician. Familiar with conference. Folks, this is about as safe as it can get, while also hitting the long ball with some key boosters. If you have ever met him, you can attest that he could easily be the face of the program. Just a fantastic attitude and representative. Sure, I know the naysayers will say that there is no way he goes from AAD position back to coaching ranks...like that's never been done before. Didn't research what he makes now and have enough real-life experience to know that's not what makes everyone tick. And even if it hasn't been done before...Joe strikes me as the type of person who would wear the badge of, what, the 8th or 9th? wrestling coach in ISU history as a badge of honor. His most recent bio: http://www.wvusports.com/staffDirectory.cfm?func=view&staffID=2409
My biggest problem with Heskett is that he himself has stated that his goal is to be a big time AD. It's hard to excel at a challenge with your eye on another prize. That said, I would back this hire because he's a natural born leader and promoter in my mind.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008

Joe was by far my preference last time when we hired Jackson. However, as others have said, he seems to have different career goals now.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I like Heskett, but I worry about a guy who has a known heart condition. Yes, he was the HC at Army after the issues were diagnosed, but there would be more stress/pressure to succeed at Iowa State than there was at Army.

• Agree
Reactions: Scott34

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron