*New Uniform Thread*

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
These new uniforms are absolutely the ugliest uniforms in college football today. I thought our school colors were Cardinal and Gold. It's hard to keep up with what our colors as they keep changing. McCarney wanted to add blue, know the predominant color is a charcoal grey. I loved the uniforms from a couple of years ago. It also appears that our school log has changed again, referring to the logo on the white helmets. Even the red color is not the school sanctioned color of cardinal; it’s more of a bright red like Nebraska. It seems like ISU is never satisfied with their school colors, logo, etc. It’s really hard to get behind a team that the school can’t decide on a logo, colors or a uniform. Maybe that is why other schools support their teams so well, because they can identify with their schools identity. Iowa State does not have an identity that we can identify with. I expect a lot of negative criticism from this post.

Yeah, well, it's not about you or your opinion; it's about the players' and recruits' opinions. They love the different combinations, especially the "nontraditional" colors, so at the end of the day your opinion doesn't matter.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Love this uniform, bring it back

Back from 2 weeks ago vs UNI?

These new uniforms are absolutely the ugliest uniforms in college football today. I thought our school colors were Cardinal and Gold. It's hard to keep up with what our colors as they keep changing. McCarney wanted to add blue, know the predominant color is a charcoal grey. I loved the uniforms from a couple of years ago. It also appears that our school log has changed again, referring to the logo on the white helmets. Even the red color is not the school sanctioned color of cardinal; it’s more of a bright red like Nebraska. It seems like ISU is never satisfied with their school colors, logo, etc. It’s really hard to get behind a team that the school can’t decide on a logo, colors or a uniform. Maybe that is why other schools support their teams so well, because they can identify with their schools identity. Iowa State does not have an identity that we can identify with. I expect a lot of negative criticism from this post.

Yeah, because it's not only a bad opinion, it's based on a ridiculous premise. First, what new uniforms? Second, what new logo? Third, few other teams support their teams as well as ISU fans. Fourth, we don't have an identity to identify with? I can't speak for everyone on CF, but the shade of red on a helmet does not dictate my love for the cyclones. (Its nice we have a color expert who knows the sheen and precise color number of red on a helmet down to the specific shade.)

Last edited:

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
How many schools change their logos, helmets and uniforms as often as Iowa State does??
We haven't changed our logo, in what 10-11 years. It is still the I-State mark logo, and will continue to stay that way. What has changed today, is that they have listened to us, given us, the stencil I-State logo, and hopefully will continue to do so from time to time. I think that is great, looks great. It is just a variation to apply when wanted.

What you are seeing is that this coaching staff likes to change things up. The players and recruits love it, and I think the fans, for the most part will too.

For all the talk in the past, from some of you, saying "I don't care what our uniforms look like, just win", it seems trite to me that some of us bicker about every little detail for what's going on these past two years, which is really a transition until next year's more complete change.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind voicing likes and dislikes. I've certainly done that in the past, nothing wrong with that. Enjoy the ride. I think this staff knows what it is doing.

• Agree
Reactions: CyDude16

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

Yeah, because it's not only a bad opinion, it's based on a ridiculous premise. First, what new uniforms? Second, what new logo? Third, few other teams support their teams as well as ISU fans. Fourth, we don't have an identity to identify with? I can't speak for everyone on CF, but the shade of red on a helmet does not dictate my love for the cyclones. (Its nice we have a color expert who knows the shade of red on a helmet down to the specific shade.)
Thank you!

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Lot of talk about a potential black uniform. I like the combo Louisville is going tonight and think this color scheme would look nice for Iowa State
View attachment 49942

No, because the res on the helmet and uni don't match. Seems like Louisville can't make up their mind. Hard for fans to identify and support their school because of it.

CyofClive

Nov 21, 2010

Yeah, because it's not only a bad opinion, it's based on a ridiculous premise. First, what new uniforms? Second, what new logo? Third, few other teams support their teams as well as ISU fans. Fourth, we don't have an identity to identify with? I can't speak for everyone on CF, but the shade of red on a helmet does not dictate my love for the cyclones. (Its nice we have a color expert who knows the sheen and precise color number of red on a helmet down to the specific shade.)
Your fourth statement is absolutely right, we don't have an identity to identify with. Since when do the players dictate what uniforms they should wear. They should be proud they are cyclones and wearing the cardinal and gold. And yes the logo on the helmet has changed. Take another look. Can't wait to see the Hawkeyes come onto the field in red shirts.

CyofClive

Nov 21, 2010
Yeah, well, it's not about you or your opinion; it's about the players' and recruits' opinions. They love the different combinations, especially the "nontraditional" colors, so at the end of the day your opinion doesn't matter.
Have to disagree with one. The players have no say in what their uniforms should be. Color or style. They should be proud of being a cyclone and wearing the cardinal and gold period. Do you think any top ten school would let their players pick out new uniforms each year.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Love the uniforms. I like seeing them all. It's nice to have different combos instead of the same thing all the time.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I was okay with the red/white stencil logo and white facemasks.

The complete lack of gold -- why no gold in the center stripe of the helmet? -- was a little jarring, though, given the gold on the pants and the jerseys.

Looked like a helmet from a completely different uniform set.

We are cardinal and gold. Not all-white with a little bit of red.

Kind of sad to see our gold uniform elements de-emphasized (it is just as much a school color as cardinal) by mothballing the gold pants, never using the gold alternative tops, which I love if only for their connotations with the basketball teams and that look, and this creeping trendy-but-ugly-though-someday-we-will-regret-this black and gray stuff.

Phasing back the gold is necessary with that black/gray push, though, because otherwise you look like Iowa, which is maybe the worst thing about it.

andybernard

Oct 22, 2009
Have to disagree with one. The players have no say in what their uniforms should be. Color or style. They should be proud of being a cyclone and wearing the cardinal and gold period. Do you think any top ten school would let their players pick out new uniforms each year.

I don't know who is responsible for picking the uniforms, but I'd bet the players have a say in a lot of situations. Here is a list of top 25 teams that have worn some sort of alternate uniform already in the first 3 weeks.

Washington
Michigan
Oklahoma State
Louisville
Virginia Tech
TCU
Washington State
South Florida
Tennessee
Florida

Plenty of other teams in the top 25 who have worn alternates over the past few years and probably will again this year.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
And yes the logo on the helmet has changed. Take another look. Can't wait to see the Hawkeyes come onto the field in red shirts.

You said, "we got a new logo. Can't they make up their mind?" A logo and an outline of the same logo is not "a new logo." Hard to know if not having the "I" filled in with gold confused you into thinning we were a different team.