Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Hey, spelling in English is hard! And auto correct pretends to be your friend but it's really not!
I know -- I was smiling as I typed that. I've seen Marshall Law other places online, too. He sure does make the rounds. Wonder who he paid to get that autocorrect gig...

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
This is Marshall Law:
Marshall_Law_%28T7%29.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_Law_(Tekken)

I'll be sure to stay 6 feet away from him, because he could kick my ass.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
It's really hard to believe that they are feeling the pain so quickly. As I remember the NCAA tourny is a huge money maker for the conferences but it's spread out over time, possibly for something like this happening. I believe the payouts are based on the past 5 or 6 years earnings from the BBall tourny (based on # of Big XII teams in games).

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
It's really hard to believe that they are feeling the pain so quickly. As I remember the NCAA tourny is a huge money maker for the conferences but it's spread out over time, possibly for something like this happening. I believe the payouts are based on the past 5 or 6 years earnings from the BBall tourny (based on # of Big XII teams in games).

But you already know how much you're going to get from the NCAA in Year X based on the number of "units" earned in those previous years. So when the tournament was cancelled, everyone knew just about immediately how much money they were going to lose (or not receive).

It's the same thing with the Big 12 MBB tournament. Bowlsby already indicated what the financial impact will be, which means ADs already know what their shortfall will be from that budgeted revenue stream.

If I know I'm going to be short from a budgeted prediction 3 months from now, I'm not going to wait 3 months to put a plan into action.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Perhaps this came up in another thread, but I read some speculation yesterday that ADs were even considering delaying the season until January to hold on to whatever revenue they could.

On the plus side, you can't get flooded out of G7 when the ground is frozen.

Trying to imagine a fictional ISU schedule...

Jan:
@Oklahoma
Bye
@texas Tech
Bye

Feb:
@OKSt
@Baylor
@texas
Non conf home

March
Non conf home
Kansas
CyHawk
TCU

April:
WVU
KSU
Mid April: B12CCG

Early May: bowls/post season

The Big Ten and MAC would have some miserable frozen games no matter what they do. Every other FBS conference has at least half the teams in warm climates to get some flexibility.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Campbell and Prohm are the type of guys that would be 100% ok with this, though.

Fire Prohm and bet there won’t be an NCAA basketball season next year so don’t hire a replacement until March. Theres a way to save another few million.

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
Tickets will be refunded. Cyclone Club donations probably not. A percentage discount for the 2021 would be nice. eg. If you paid your $1000 gold membership for 2020 your 2021 gold membership would only be $800

Or gives those who donated 5x the club points !!!

Reactions: Sparkplug

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Oh man, I can only imagine the endless threads around here begging for artificial turf if we end up with a football season in the winter or spring months.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Seems to me that a few million savings in a $90 million operating budget is not a lot other than for sending the right message in these nasty times. It will be interesting to see if others follow JP's lead.

Last edited:

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Trying to imagine a fictional ISU schedule...

Jan:
@Oklahoma
Bye
@texas Tech
Bye

Feb:
@OKSt
@Baylor
@texas
Non conf home

March
Non conf home
Kansas
CyHawk
TCU

April:
WVU
KSU
Mid April: B12CCG

Early May: bowls/post season

The Big Ten and MAC would have some miserable frozen games no matter what they do. Every other FBS conference has at least half the teams in warm climates to get some flexibility.

A huge overlap of College football onto basketball sure would be weird.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Would be interesting to see the department's financial statements. Anyone know where to find them or do they get melded into the overall university?

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Last edited: