New Home Construction

jtaconutz

Feb 1, 2007
With your mom
Why would you not buy a spec or build a custom right now?

I am on the building side of this debate so I have biased opinion but:

Construction material costs are down.
Mortgage rates between 5-6%.
Builders and realtors are offering incentives.
DSM market is not the gloom and doom that is happening on the coasts, in fact the market is better now than the first part of this decade.

If you have good credit and have been waiting to jump in, the next couple of years are a great time to do it.

balken

Apr 14, 2006
Regardless of your approach, I would recommend involving a lawyer. Have them review any contracts, especially if you are working with someone with which you do not have previous experience (or even if you do.) It will cost a little bit, but it beats getting stuck with a big bill or crappy work with no recourse.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
It's a lot of work, and to be honest, I don't think I'd ever want to do it. I'd rather it be more turnkey, and I enjoy building things and the construction process. There is a ton of stuff that has to be done, and can either you or your spouse get the time off from your jobs to go meet with subs or go to the house when a problem arises? I don't doubt that many people can and have done it but it's a lot of work that I'd rather pay someone to deal with unless money was really, really tight.

Even if you get good subs, you are still going to have to get after them from time to time. Most subs have relationships with established builders which is where they get the bulk of their work. If their main builder says on short notice that he wants move electrical up at a job of his all of a sudden the crew at your house is either not there, there only part time, or went from a crew of 3-4 to 1-2, thus putting delays in your schedule.

Just a misc list of random things that you (acting as the general contractor) would probably have to arrange/organize: permits, inspections, dumpster, general grounds clean up, port-a-john, scheduling, dealing with turf wars, punch list items (i.e. who installs all the door stops?)

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
C'mon you architects out there quit lowballing. You know Dave Block says to get 10%. You're not going to get a passive solar design out of a magazine or off the web. Our Cyclone brothers need to know that the up front investment can pay huge dividends down the road and you get a truly custom built home.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
I'm a general contractor, but no where near Iowa. It's not unheard of for someone to contract their own home. Better have a sit down with the wife before you start and get it straight that this is going to be very stressful. If you have any questions feel free to send a personal message.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
It's actually a very stressful process having someone contract it for you. I can't imagine what it would be like going it alone.

I don't think it's a bad idea as long as you're well versed in the regulations, know the good subs, have plenty of time and understand you'll want to pull your hair out a few times.

thunderdave

POOTMFS
Apr 14, 2006
It's actually a very stressful process having someone contract it for you. I can't imagine what it would be like going it alone.

I don't think it's a bad idea as long as you're well versed in the regulations, know the good subs, have plenty of time and understand you'll want to pull your hair out a few times.
Is that what happened?:biglaugh:

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Something like that.

But in seriousness, it took a lot of our time and we were very frustrated with a few subs a few times - and we didn't have to deal with them on a day-to-day basis.

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
Don't buy floor plans off the internet - hire young architects willing to do the design work for relatively free to build their portfolio - especially ones that do sustainable design and know how to design homes to be more efficient so you have little to no utility bills in a weather-diverse place like the midwest (Hi, my name is Justin, and I'm an architect) :)

I'm NOT an architect, but I want to second what Justin has to say, here. Young architects will almost work for food, and tend to put too much effort into their early projects. You end up with a unique house, no "oopsies" and the latest and greatest stuff incorporated into your home design.

Nothing sucks worse than the McMansion Boxes being put up today by construction companies. Ugly, and predictable.

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
It's a lot of work, and to be honest, I don't think I'd ever want to do it. I'd rather it be more turnkey, and I enjoy building things and the construction process. There is a ton of stuff that has to be done, and can either you or your spouse get the time off from your jobs to go meet with subs or go to the house when a problem arises? I don't doubt that many people can and have done it but it's a lot of work that I'd rather pay someone to deal with unless money was really, really tight.

Even if you get good subs, you are still going to have to get after them from time to time. Most subs have relationships with established builders which is where they get the bulk of their work. If their main builder says on short notice that he wants move electrical up at a job of his all of a sudden the crew at your house is either not there, there only part time, or went from a crew of 3-4 to 1-2, thus putting delays in your schedule.

Just a misc list of random things that you (acting as the general contractor) would probably have to arrange/organize: permits, inspections, dumpster, general grounds clean up, port-a-john, scheduling, dealing with turf wars, punch list items (i.e. who installs all the door stops?)

very well said. many people think it is going to be easy-myself included, until they actually get into it. keeping subs lined up is probably going to be the hardest part, and those punch list items-you will more then likely end up doing yourself, unless you somehow manage to contract out every single aspect which is next to impossible.

mjlane

Apr 21, 2006
Has anyone ever looked into building a house using SIPs (structurally insulated panels)? I think, in essence, they are panels that consist of solid, insulating foam sandwiched between two sheets of OSB. I've read a little bit about them, and they are apparently very energy efficient. One of the comments was that a home built with SIPs is virtually airtight. Any of you construction guys care to comment? Thanks in advance.

isuarch80

Sep 25, 2006
Dallas, TX
C'mon you architects out there quit lowballing. You know Dave Block says to get 10%. You're not going to get a passive solar design out of a magazine or off the web. Our Cyclone brothers need to know that the up front investment can pay huge dividends down the road and you get a truly custom built home.

Always good to see a shout out for DB...and when you're as good as he is and have the experience he has (over 40 years), you can get that fee - I just want to get to where he is, so why not do some of these type of projects for little or no fee to get the portfolio where you want it, and then get a client who wants to spend the amount of money that 10% really fetches a ##

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
Has anyone ever looked into building a house using SIPs (structurally insulated panels)? I think, in essence, they are panels that consist of solid, insulating foam sandwiched between two sheets of OSB. I've read a little bit about them, and they are apparently very energy efficient. One of the comments was that a home built with SIPs is virtually airtight. Any of you construction guys care to comment? Thanks in advance.

i have used them before on a commercial project and hated them. sound good on paper, but everyone involved thought they would have been better off using regular construction methods. we even had roof panels and now you can see the sweat lines on the shingles and siding where the seams of the panels match up.

kgreeny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Why would you not buy a spec or build a custom right now?

I agree. If you find a builder that you like and are not really picky, you can get a great deal on a spec. My advice is to contact the builder and ask him what specs he has to get rid of. If you tell him that you need a 4bed/4bath, he and his bank may have a house or two that they will cut a great deal on to move....If your wife is anything like mine, and not willing give up any "wants", then you may want to build it.

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
Something like that.

But in seriousness, it took a lot of our time and we were very frustrated with a few subs a few times - and we didn't have to deal with them on a day-to-day basis.

By the way, if you have any questions on how to get a great looking house, take a look at ISUFan22's pictures in the gallery. That is an AWESOME looking place. Love the Bavarian "look".

singsing

Nov 2, 2007

I'd stay away from them. Nothing but problems and your structure will have moisture problems as the system doesn't allow the walls to breathe properly.

CycloneTony

Nov 3, 2007
Indianola

It probably may just depend on the builder some may prefer it some may not. I whatched an episode of This Old House and there was nothing but praise for them it probably just depends on the builder.