149 Degen 3
157 Carr 18 (what a joke)
165 Straw NR
174 Coleman 22
184 Colbray 5
197 Shapiro NR
285 Gremmel 17
ISU #11 as a team

With the mass Olympic redshirting at 133, Gomez ranked 9th is a head scratcher to me. What am I missing there?

snaedw

Oct 17, 2008
Will Echemendia see the mat this season? Saw where he will be on campus starting next week.

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012
So they rank Teemer at 12 as the top FR in the class at ‘57?? Clearly winning a gold this summer didn’t impress Flo

They also rank Gremmel behind Nevills and Orondorf both of which he defeated last year if I’m not mistaken.

I expect our biggest jump to come from Coleman. If he follows the Dresser progression plan I expect to see a different wrestler this year.

Last edited:

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
So they rank Teemer at 12 as the top FR in the class at ‘57?? Clearly winning a gold this summer didn’t impress Flo

They also rank Gremmel behind Nevills and Orondorf both of which he defeated last year if I’m not mistaken.

I expect our biggest jump to come from Coleman. If he follows the Dresser progression plan I expect to see a different wrestler this year.
Again, you have to take the initial Flo rankings with a grain of salt. They base RS freshman off of their college wins in redshirt, not freestyle competition. Their very open about how they do rankings for freshman, in fact the rankings article says this about Carr "David Carr and Will Lewan are two more redshirt freshmen that could be in the title hunt, but didn't see enough high caliber competition to warrant a higher ranking."

Teemer had better wins in redshirt but once the season is in full swing and Carr racks up some big wins he'll shoot up the rankings fast. If they did rankings based on where they think Carr will end up he'd be in top 5 range, but they wait for the wins to come to justify that before making the ranking change.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Where was Colbray ranked in preseason last year? What a fun dude to watch develop.
He has the ability to beat anyone. I saw him man handle the eventual national champ last year in the west gym. I think with him it comes down to being technically sound. That kid is as strong as an ox.

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Mackall has a win at NCAAs over #9 Hildebrandt

Gomez has wins over #5 DeSanto and #6 RBY.

Parker has wins over #1 Demas and #9 Murin.

Degen has wins over #2 Mauller and #6 Lugo.

Carr won a world championship. He won't finish at #17.

Coleman has a win over #16 Hastings and #19 De La Riva.

Colbray has a win over #7 (197) Geer and the national champ from last year, Foster.

Gremmel has wins over #24 Ngati, #23 Miller, #21 Metz, #20 Isley, #16 Nevills, #12 Orndorff, and #8 Elam.

Not saying anybody here should be ranked ahead of these guys. I just think it's awesome how far we've come as a program where we have 8 guys ranked and they all have legitimate chances to finish higher than their ranking.

Last edited:

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Mackall has a win at NCAAs over #9 Hildebrandt

Gomez has wins over #5 DeSanto and #6 RBY.

Parker has wins over #1 Demas and #9 Murin.

Degen has wins over #2 Mauller and #6 Lugo.

Carr won a world championship. He won't finish at #18.

Coleman has a win over #16 Hastings and #19 De La Riva.

Colbray has a win over #7 (197) Geer and the national champ from last year, Foster.

Gremmel has wins over #24 Ngati, #23 Miller, #21 Metz, #20 Isley, #16 Nevills, #12 Orndorff, and #8 Elam.

Not saying anybody here should be ranked ahead of these guys. I just think it's awesome how far we've come as a program where we have 8 guys ranked and they all have legitimate chances to finish higher than their ranking.
Completely agree.

Also, Demas at #1 surprises me. I get he did well at NCAA's last year but he's definitely a beatable guy if you wrestle him right and stay away from upper body like Parker did last year.

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Completely agree.

Also, Demas at #1 surprises me. I get he did well at NCAA's last year but he's definitely a beatable guy if you wrestle him right and stay away from upper body like Parker did last year.

Definitely beatable, but he is the highest returning finisher at 141, not counting Yianni and Eierman, who are taking Olympic redshirts.

Makes for a bit of a "down" weight, or at the very least, wide open with tons of guys having a chance to AA or win a title.

HGoat1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I expect we'll be ranked in the top 10 rather quickly. I suspect Carr will skyrocket up the rankings and be into the top 5 by the middle of December, he gets #2 Kaleb Young in our second dual + CKLV December 6th/7th. Gomez will move up a couple of spots as I think that Fix and Micic both take an Olympic RS.

Reactions: jmb1498