New Fishing Pole Advice

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I lived in Oklahoma in my Mid 20s and 2 of my neighbors taught me the art of noodling. Don't have a lot of pics but here's one day's haul. Sorry for the poor quality but this is scan of an old Polaroid. We donated the meat to the local fire department for a fish fry.

View attachment 72936

Question 1 - How often do people lose fingers because snapping turtles hole up in the bank?

Question 2 - Was eating a catfish that big any good? I've found any channel cat over about 2 lbs to be very bad. Years ago my Grandpa caught an 18 lb. channel cat and attempted to feed the family with it, but I don't think you could even classify anything on that beast as edible meat.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Make sure you don't cheap out too much on your gear. Nothing like having the fish of a lifetime hooked only to have your gear fail.

Many years ago I hooked an absolutely massive northern. Saw it on the surface once. Thing had to have been over 50 inches. A few moments later it got free. Reeled in to notice the snap on my leader straightened out.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
You one of the older dudes on the outside with the red hat? Couldn't have a UNI shirt on.

Nope, I'm in the middle. We were in a river that would pretty much stain anything you wore red so I always wore "less desirable" clothing. For those in my age group- the UNI shirt came from a T-Galaxy sale. Maybe they still do but they used to have a big "table sale" where you could buy samples and misprints for a buck or two. .

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Question 1 - How often do people lose fingers because snapping turtles hole up in the bank?

Question 2 - Was eating a catfish that big any good? I've found any channel cat over about 2 lbs to be very bad. Years ago my Grandpa caught an 18 lb. channel cat and attempted to feed the family with it, but I don't think you could even classify anything on that beast as edible meat.

1. Every summer in OK there were people that lost fingers or even died while noodling. We took a safer (but illegal) approach by using "barrels" . We took some old water pressure tanks with a 6-8 inch hole cut in one end. We would stake them to the river bottom and the fish would go in there to spawn. This would virtually eliminate encounters with and snakes and beavers that you may run across if you noddle in brush or rock piles. We did have a snapping turtle in a barrel once but it was dead because it could not find a way out.
Using barrels also greatly reduced chances of getting your arm or hand stuck which can also happen in rock piles and log jams.

2. Yes the meat was not that great on anything over 10 lbs. We usually kept the "belly meat" which is very good and gave the rest away. Sadly I don't have a picture but our largest one was 63 lbs.

ruflosn

Dec 21, 2008
Or drive a half mile north and go to Sportsmans Warehouse and find it at a better price.
Very well could be; however, I avoid/refuse to drive on that intersection. It is a pure cluster ****. That is the only area that is worse than duff ave in Ames.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Reactions: JM4CY

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
It takes practice that usually leads to stopping short (RIP Jerry Stiller) until you get it down. Was fishing with my kids a couple weeks ago and explaining why baitcasters are tough, but was bragging how I hadn’t had a case of backlash in like 10 years. Sure enough within 10 mins caught a weed or something with my lure as I was casting and had a rats nest that took me 30 mins to clear out.

The reel I had was not part of a cheaper combo, so might have been part of the problem. I gave it to my brother, who I think gave it to someone else. I will stick with open faced reels. Fishing should be fun, not frustrating.

James Tucker

Sep 9, 2019

ruflosn

Dec 21, 2008
Get your 5-year-old a can of corn and do some carp fishing. He will love it. Make sure he hangs onto his pole though.

Reactions: JM4CY

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
Get your son a $20 Zebco 33 combo. Farm and Fleet has several decently priced combo packages for you. For bass and other panfish, I prefer light to medium-action Ugly Stick rods w/open-face spinning reels.

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
Anyone have recommendations on a place around DSM I can take some old reels to get tuned up? I was thinking Johnston bait & tackle, not sure if they do that stuff? Does Scheels or Bass Pro do maintenance stuff?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Decided to keep using my reel, it was my line that was causing me issues. Put a new spider wire on it and works way better. I do need a new rod though. Any recommendations? I hear that it’s more about feel and doesn’t matter but I’m headed to get a new one this afternoon and i don’t want to get bent over.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Just realized I missed a chance to tell a story my fellow fisherman might enjoy about why I need a new rod. Remember I am novice trying to relearn the art of fishing.

So my 5 year old son and I were at one of our favorite little spots in NE Iowa (state park, lake, little offshoot of it we walk through about 150 yds of woods to get to and have good luck at). Anyway, little JM was having some luck and I was wanting to make sure he didn’t have all the fun. I had just put a new 10lb test on my pole. Switched to 3” minnow powerbait and bang, first cast, 12” large mouth. So naturally I go right back the same spot as my son watches hoping I get another one. Well of course, a snag, a bad one. I’m growing increasingly pissed as I try to get this thing undone because I had JUST fished little JMs line out of a tree he had cast it into. I’m pulling and pulling and nothing, won’t come lose. Finally, I give the ole one more firm anger infused tug and either it will come loose or line will break. Sure enough the line does NOT break but my freak pole snaps in half and the top end flies straight down the line out in the water. As I am standing there completely confused for a second and even MORE pissed now, my 5 yr old who was watching this all unfold looks at me goes “Holy sh*t, dad. That was kinda cool.”

All anger left me. Great moment. I smiled and said “yes it was, son. Now don’t use that word around your mom, ok?”

Reactions: madguy30

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Just realized I missed a chance to tell a story my fellow fisherman might enjoy about why I need a new rod. Remember I am novice trying to relearn the art of fishing.

So my 5 year old son and I were at one of our favorite little spots in NE Iowa (state park, lake, little offshoot of it we walk through about 150 yds of woods to get to and have good luck at). Anyway, little JM was having some luck and I was wanting to make sure he didn’t have all the fun. I had just put a new 10lb test on my pole. Switched to 3” minnow powerbait and bang, first cast, 12” large mouth. So naturally I go right back the same spot as my son watches hoping I get another one. Well of course, a snag, a bad one. I’m growing increasingly pissed as I try to get this thing undone because I had JUST fished little JMs line out of a tree he had cast it into. I’m pulling and pulling and nothing, won’t come lose. Finally, I give the ole one more firm anger infused tug and either it will come loose or line will break. Sure enough the line does NOT break but my freak pole snaps in half and the top end flies straight down the line out in the water. As I am standing there completely confused for a second and even MORE pissed now, my 5 yr old who was watching this all unfold looks at me goes “Holy sh*t, dad. That was kinda cool.”

All anger left me. Great moment. I smiled and said “yes it was, son. Now don’t use that word around your mom, ok?”

I like my Daiwa combo. The rod has a great feel to it. Got the rod and reel at bass pro.

On another note. When you get a snag, point your pole at the snag and pull straight back.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I like my Daiwa combo. The rod has a great feel to it. Got the rod and reel at bass pro.

On another note. When you get a snag, point your pole at the snag and pull straight back.
Lol thanks for the tip. I knew that. But chose not to use my brain in that moment

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Anyone have recommendations on a place around DSM I can take some old reels to get tuned up? I was thinking Johnston bait & tackle, not sure if they do that stuff? Does Scheels or Bass Pro do maintenance stuff?
I go to Glenn's to have my reels respooled every year. They repair reels.
2210 E 9th St. Des Moines. 262-2990