New FB Commit

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I'm sure there will be better schools recruiting him before its all said in done. Hopefully he stays committed though.

Cyclophile1

Dec 14, 2009
Overland Park, KS
Outstanding pickup, particularly at this time of year - it could have a chance to influence some other kids who we are also recruiting who may know of him. No question that this staff knows what it is doing on the recruiting front and we seem to be building a nice base of young talent.

Cheers

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Makes you wonder why Western Michigan was the only other school to offer him (according to scout)

If it were December 2011 and the only other offer he had was WMU, you might have a point. In May 2011, a lot of schools have not extended that many offers yet. Some schools specifically wait until a kid is in his senior season to see how that works out before they offer.

ISU is offering early in an attempt to grab impressive soon to be seniors early.

bpmcclain

Nov 17, 2010
Ames
I really hope Im wrong, but I just have a bad feeling about this. Something tells me he won't play a down for ISU. Like I said, I hope Im wrong because this is a nice get for ISU

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
I really hope Im wrong, but I just have a bad feeling about this. Something tells me he won't play a down for ISU. Like I said, I hope Im wrong because this is a nice get for ISU

What do you think is going to happen? How many recruits has the current staff lost to another school after an early commitment? Last year there was one and the year before there was one. Ye of little faith. As soon as they get him up for a visit and he takes Ames and ISU in, he'll be fine.

bpmcclain

Nov 17, 2010
Ames
What do you think is going to happen? How many recruits has the current staff lost to another school after an early commitment? Last year there was one and the year before there was one. Ye of little faith. As soon as they get him up for a visit and he takes Ames and ISU in, he'll be fine.

I guess Im a bit of a pessimist. I just have a bad feeling about it. A big time prospect from Texas committs to us early, which is great, but I have a bad feeling that when the other big schools come calling, he will listen. Just a guess on my part though, I have no inside info or anything like that

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I guess Im a bit of a pessimist. I just have a bad feeling about it. A big time prospect from Texas committs to us early, which is great, but I have a bad feeling that when the other big schools come calling, he will listen. Just a guess on my part though, I have no inside info or anything like that

I can see your point. It seems like Texas kids especially seem to opt to stay closer to home if the offer is out there. I guess they can't resist the lure of playing in the great state of Texas.

Florida kids seem more willing to leave the state for some reason.

Cyclone04

Apr 5, 2011
I agree, I'll celebrate this one on signing day. The bigger schools will soon start offering the second tier prospects and I'm guessing he will be on somebody's list closer to home.

It's a good thing he committed to us. Hopefully this will keep some schools away. We need to get this kid on campus for a visit ASAP!!

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Going over your last couple of posts, I have a question. Have ever you ever heard of a posession receiver? This kid fits that mold perfectly. A guy you can put on the outside and go up and get balls. He is exactly what ISU needs at the WR position.

A supposed 4.65 40 time doesn't mean a damn thing.

I think all of you guys are underrating this kid. He's not a possession receiver. Possession receivers don't average 20 yards per catch and a TD for every 4 receptions in high school. This guy is a deep threat. Yes, he's not going to beat too many people downfield, but he goes up and gets the ball and at 6-4, 6-5, with some muscle behind it, he 's going to get it 9 times out of 10 over smaller DBs. And it's not like he has no speed. He has plenty of speed for the position.

Cyclone04

Apr 5, 2011
I think all of you guys are underrating this kid. He's not a possession receiver. Possession receivers don't average 20 yards per catch and a TD for every 4 receptions in high school. This guy is a deep threat. Yes, he's not going to beat too many people downfield, but he goes up and gets the ball and at 6-4, 6-5, with some muscle behind it, he 's going to get it 9 times out of 10 over smaller DBs. And it's not like he has no speed. He has plenty of speed for the position.

e.g. Jake Williams

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

Good point. Lack of speed does not automatically mean he has to be a possession receiver. Look at a guy like Sidney Rice. He's a legitimate deep threat in the NFL, and his speed is very suspect. He does it all on positioning, height, and body control.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
As of now ESPN has him ranked as a 78, but you can only see it on the team homepage, not his individual page (at least not without insider). That's what they had Nealy rated as last year, so that alone gets me excited!

Iowa State Football - Cyclones News, Scores, Videos - College Football - ESPN

yes, I know ESPN isn't the best recruiting site, but it still blows Scout away...

I actually think Scout is better in terms of being accurate evaluators. I am looking for the study. If I find it, I will post it. If I remember correctly, the findings were RIvals first, Scout 2nd and ESPN a long ways back. Also, I think ESPNs issues were they strongly overrated and underrated guys to extremes. Of course all of this was studied using the NFL draft as the end game so there are some other things at play, but I don't really know how else you could do it.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

Guess I wouldn't call a kid with no other BCS offers a "big time prospect". He's not even to the point of having TCU, SMU, Baylor after him much less UT and OU.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Guess I wouldn't call a kid with no other BCS offers a "big time prospect". He's not even to the point of having TCU, SMU, Baylor after him much less UT and OU.

Texas was at the kid's high school looking at him on the day he committed to the good guys. Also, it's still kind of early in the recruiting process. Many schools don't extend the majority of their offers until the beginning of summer and camp season. So don't be saying there was no interest in him from big-time programs.

bpmcclain

Nov 17, 2010
Ames

I guess "big time prospect" is a bit much, but he will get some good offers in the future. Im betting schools like Texas Tech and TCU will go after him. If i had to guess right now, Im betting he will be a 3 star guy

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I guess "big time prospect" is a bit much, but he will get some good offers in the future. Im betting schools like Texas Tech and TCU will go after him. If i had to guess right now, Im betting he will be a 3 star guy

Don't back down. I think your assessment of him was right to begin with.

Texas is chock full of big-time receiver prospects this year, so that's why this guy has flown under the radar a bit. It's kind of hard to stand out in a deep class like that. But guys who see him in person or on film gush over him. In any other year, this guy would be talked about a lot more.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Texas was at the kid's high school looking at him on the day he committed to the good guys. Also, it's still kind of early in the recruiting process. Many schools don't extend the majority of their offers until the beginning of summer and camp season. So don't be saying there was no interest in him from big-time programs.

recruiting for texas is over. they are looking at HS sophomores now

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron