New Dishwasher Recommendations

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
My wife and I recently moved into a new house and it has a pretty inexpensive GE dishwasher. It is not that old (only 4 years old) and the racks are starting to rust some and it doesn't seem to clean very well. We are thinking about getting a new one soon to replace it. We had a Thermador at our old house (was going to go with Bosch but NFM had a great deal on an open box Thermador) so we got it since Thermador is a more expensive Bosch. We loved it. It was quiet, cleaned excelent, but it didn't dry plastics well at all. I know Bosch dishwashers are considered the Cadillac, but are pricey. I have heard good things about Kitchen Aid dishwashers, but don't know much about them. Does anyone have recommendations?

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
A Miele is my dream dishwasher, but our next one will likely be a Bosch. (Apparently I am "have a dream dishwasher" years old.)

We have a Whirlpool right now, came with the house, and I hate it.

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008
We have bought 2 Bosch dishwashers for 2 separate houses. Highly recommend. Nice and quiet, gets things clean, and since it doesn't have a heating coil inside of it, your whole dishwasher can be considered a "top rack" for those items that are "top rack only."

We've been happy with our Bosch too. Very quiet and I like the top rack for silverware. Related to the heating element comment above, just make sure to run hot tap water for awhile before you start it and use less soap than you think you need.

Reactions: h-man64

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
A Miele is my dream dishwasher, but our next one will likely be a Bosch. (Apparently I am "have a dream dishwasher" years old.)

Same with us. Waited for the first sale on them and snatched one right up. If you've got open concept, it should be some sort of felony to install a noisy dishwasher in the house.

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
I had to replace the fridge in my house and went with a whirlpool as they had a nice one in stock at appliance smart in Rochester, now closed, when I needed a fridge. A few months later I was fed up with washing dishes by hand and bought the matching dishwasher. Very happy with it although it only gets used about every other week. Will be getting a new whirlpool range in the near future so all my appliances match.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
We've been happy with our Bosch too. Very quiet and I like the top rack for silverware. Related to the heating element comment above, just make sure to run hot tap water for awhile before you start it and use less soap than you think you need.

Yeah, they do have a little water heater in them to warm up the water, but we usually run hot water before running. And we use the dishwasher packs and some Finish.

If you run a load with lots of plastics, be aware that it may not dry all the way. That's because it uses the residual heat stored in ceramics/metals to aid in drying the dishes. I set mine to "Extra Dry" to help with this.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Bosch is good but I'd go Purple Monkey.

0986941360.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: cc1091

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Just picked up a kitchenaid a couple months ago and have been pretty happy with it.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

Do you have a dream iron and dream floor mop as well? It's good to know exactly what you want!

• Funny
Reactions: Angie

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
FWIW, Of the 3 KA appliances we have in our kitchen (fridge, stove, dishwasher), the dishwasher has been the least problematic. To clarify, we haven't had any issues with the dishwasher (it's quiet and cleans ok). The other two have soured us on KA as a brand and we will not be purchasing them again. As other posters have said, get a Bosch as folks that I know that have them swear by them (as well as their other appliances).

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
FWIW, Of the 3 KA appliances we have in our kitchen (fridge, stove, dishwasher), the dishwasher has been the least problematic. To clarify, we haven't had any issues with the dishwasher (it's quiet and cleans ok). The other two have soured us on KA as a brand and we will not be purchasing them again. As other posters have said, get a Bosch as folks that I know that have them swear by them (as well as their other appliances).

We have a Kitchen Aid dishwasher, microwave and range. I really like the dishwasher and microwave. The oven has nice options but the bottom drawer for pot and pan lids is small and cheap. I'd rather not have a drawer than have that. For the fridge I had to get the Samsung with the smart features.

• Agree
Reactions: StClone

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

Might as well have caviar dreams, right?

Do you have a dream iron and dream floor mop as well? It's good to know exactly what you want!

I know this sounds weird, but one of my only phobias on this planet are irons. I got burnt badly on my arm by one when I was about 3, so I use a steamer instead. I wouldn’t mind an iRobot mop/cleaner!

• Informative
Reactions: SpokaneCY