New Depth Chart - NDSU

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I really have trouble believing D'vario is 4th. Maybe they are just trying to confuse NDSU. It's a conspiracy!
Lalk and Oni move was weird, I really want to see a hard-nosed hard hitting line this year, hope 3rd and short they bring in Taiese, I sense pancakes.....
Montgomery was also weird, good to see Lazard, Medders also jumped Lawry and Daley jump Harris and Ecby....

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Trey Scott tweeted that the Montgomery at 4th string may be a little "house keeping" from any issues he had with the program since he got here. Remember when DM said he was happy to still be with ISU because he got in some trouble? Maybe he will see limited playing time Week One as punishment. Just a thought...

CyBelieve

Aug 5, 2006
Ankeny
It's the end of the world in regards to JuCo's - after all this depth chart is set in stone for the remainder of the season and only the starters will play.

It's really a shame we wasted all those scholarships on guys that won't even play a down this year!

Anything else that we should over-react about?????

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
Trey Scott tweeted that the Montgomery at 4th string may be a little "house keeping" from any issues he had with the program since he got here. Remember when DM said he was happy to still be with ISU because he got in some trouble? Maybe he will see limited playing time Week One as punishment. Just a thought...

He wont play week 1. Nor will Ecby.

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA
My analysis of this, our recruits in the system had better than advertised off-seasons that or the talent level of the JUCO was overrated.....
I believe to be the first, Meeks, Cotton-Moya and Mutcherson are solid young players and I believe the skills are there.....

As is often the case, I think its a little of both. I still don't see what everyone was basing the hype on for most of our JUCOs, other than hope. I am a little surprised that Floyd isn't starting, let alone 3rd string, given our complete lack of experience at that position.

That's not to say that they won't contribute. Just that I was tempering my expectations for them.

Meeks, Mutcherson, and Cotton-Moya sound like they're going to be great players, but I can't see 2 redshirt freshmen, a redshirt sophomore with no experience, and a former walk-on all starting in the defense as leading to anything but trouble. We maybe could get by if we had a dominant line and linebackers, but we don't.

Either we're going to struggle mightily on defense early on in the season, or the future is really bright for our defense.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Jordan Harris and Qujuan Floyd were brought in to be impact JuCo transfers on the defense and they're both 3rd string at their position. Should we be worried about this? I hope this is a good sign for our prep guys rather than a knock on the JuCo guys.

Its been a disappointing summer for the JC transfers so far, with only Taylor really pushing to take over a starting position.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
As is often the case, I think its a little of both. I still don't see what everyone was basing the hype on for most of our JUCOs, other than hope. I am a little surprised that Floyd isn't starting, let alone 3rd string, given our complete lack of experience at that position.

That's not to say that they won't contribute. Just that I was tempering my expectations for them.

Meeks, Mutcherson, and Cotton-Moya sound like they're going to be great players, but I can't see 2 redshirt freshmen, a redshirt sophomore with no experience, and a former walk-on all starting in the defense as leading to anything but trouble. We maybe could get by if we had a dominant line and linebackers, but we don't.

Either we're going to struggle mightily on defense early on in the season, or the future is really bright for our defense.
Who is this??? Ferch?

Cincyclone

Feb 5, 2012

The two aren't mutually exclusive. I think everyone who follows the program expects those guys to struggle at times due to inexperience, but even if they do struggle early on this season that doesn't mean the future at those positions is any less bright. Mutcherson, KCM, and Meeks especially look to have a ton of potential.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Isn't it typical that summer enrollees don't make a big impact right away? This is the 2 deep for week 1, I don't think we can discount the new JUCOs yet.

Splendid

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
How about Brett Medders 6'3" 200lb behind Jarvis West! I know he's a walk on but you gotta love a kid from Ca. that wanted to be a Cyclone so bad he moved from the west coast to be one. He won't beat out Jarvis but he will be shoe leather tough like his sister Lindsay was on the bball court. Austin Flynn tough.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Isn't it typical that summer enrollees don't make a big impact right away? This is the 2 deep for week 1, I don't think we can discount the new JUCOs yet.

Yes; I clearly remember Tim Dobbins & Ahtyba Rubin struggling a bit in their first few games. They turned out alright.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Either some of you just started following college football or you just have to find things to freak out about. Unless a JUCO guy coming in is a top 10 5* type, rarely will he come in and be the starter on day 1. Tim Dobbins didn't start right away. Coe last year didn't play right away. There are plenty of other examples. It doesn't mean they are busts, it means they had a longer way to go than guys returning who have been in the system longer. Besides, Rhoads said they will all make an impact. Taylor and Pierson literally were cleared to practice the day of the first practice. Harris and Floyd are probably still learning the defense which doesn't happen overnight. The other 2 DEs are injured and Moore didn't make it.

Carry on with the freak out.