New commit: Seth Nerness.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Did this kid play 8 man or is he just from a town that plays 8 man but he enrolled at a bigger school?

He plays 8-man for Murray. Been one of their top players from Day One and was a big reason for their back-to-back trips to the Dome a couple years ago. There had been a rumor that he was going to enroll at one of the metro schools this year, but I've not heard anything more on that front for quite awhile.

JDDCy

Jul 1, 2006
Does anyone know if he is the state's first 8-man player to get a D1 scholarship offer? I can not think of any. I believe Iowa's DE (Ott) played 8 man in Nebraska. Congratulations Seth.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Great news! On a semi-related note Trey Scott is the best thing to happen for ISU news since Chris Williams. Dreading the day he moves on to bigger things.

Yeah, my guess is as soon as something in Texas opens up, he'll go there. But maybe not. He's been huge for ISU fans and getting info.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Does anyone know if he is the state's first 8-man player to get a D1 scholarship offer? I can not think of any. I believe Iowa's DE (Ott) played 8 man in Nebraska. Congratulations Seth.

Iowa's Nate Meier had offers from Iowa and Nebraska when he graduated in 2012. You talk about a man among boys. He absolutely destroyed kids. Just jump to about the 58 second mark here. He made this run in the state championship game, and it was far from the only one like it he made that day (ran for 218 yards and 5 touchdowns on just 12 carries).

Tyler Blum (Walnut) also played 8-man, I believe. I'm sure there are a few more, especially if you took a closer look at kids who have gone on to play at UNI (Springville's Elias Nissen is going there this fall on a scholarship, I know).

[video=youtube;NWFvTxVeOEg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWFvTxVeOEg[/video]

Last edited:

Cincyclone

Feb 5, 2012
Really excited about Nerness and his athleticism. Should grow nicely into a great pass rushing defensive end.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Yeah, my guess is as soon as something in Texas opens up, he'll go there. But maybe not. He's been huge for ISU fans and getting info.

Think he is here because his wife got a job in Des Moines so took over the Scout site as an opportunity. My guess she is the breadwinner right now (as likely with any journalist) so my guess is he will continue in some avenue in these parts unless a much bigger opportunity elswhere. Always harder to justify moving when two salaries are part of the equation.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa

I played 8-man in high school and as tm3308 mentioned, there was a kid from Walnut (Tyler Blum?) we played and he ended up at Iowa on scholarship as a DE. He graduated high school in ~2004.

DBQR4CY

Jun 7, 2013
Ankeny(By way of Dubuque)
Starting out with great size. He doesn't need to play at a high weight, but will probably play in the 250s if he stays at DE. If he plays LB then high 230's or low 240's would be great. Can't stay the same weight at play LB as is, that is too small, RB's are that size. Luke Knott's biggest problem, (other than injury or youth) is his weight. Needs to beef it up some.

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
I played 8-man in high school and as tm3308 mentioned, there was a kid from Walnut (Tyler Blum?) we played and he ended up at Iowa on scholarship as a DE. He graduated high school in ~2004.

Meyers that plays DL for Iowa was an 8 man school. blanking on the name of the school, all i know is the championship game was 81-0

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Meyers that plays DL for Iowa was an 8 man school. blanking on the name of the school, all i know is the championship game was 81-0

That would be Fremont-Mills, Tabor, in 2011. Ironic you bring that up on a page about Mr. Nerness, as it was his school that got the receiving end of that 81 pt. drubbing (Murray).

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest

A guy named Dallas Clark went to Twin River Valley of Bode, which became an 8-man school after he graduated. (He would have been in high school in the late 90's, and the first season in which the state had 8-Man competition was 2000.) That school no longer exists, or, at least has been incorporated into a merger situation.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Starting out with great size. He doesn't need to play at a high weight, but will probably play in the 250s if he stays at DE. If he plays LB then high 230's or low 240's would be great. Can't stay the same weight at play LB as is, that is too small, RB's are that size. Luke Knott's biggest problem, (other than injury or youth) is his weight. Needs to beef it up some.

Additional weight at LB would be great but not necessary, esp. on the outside. Speed and agility matter far more. Heck, possibly the greatest WLB in NFL history, Derrick Brooks played in the NFL between 230-235. I also remember in the mid and late 90s Nebraska started playing these LBs that were very small, some even sub-200 lbs like Terrell Farley. That was even in a time when most teams still lined up with a FB. Granted, they had dominant DLs to keep OL off the LBs. If an OL gets to the second level chances are he's going to handle a LB whether he's 220 or 250. I agree, bigger is better at LB, but only if athleticism and speed are not sacrificed at all.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
That would be Fremont-Mills, Tabor, in 2011. Ironic you bring that up on a page about Mr. Nerness, as it was his school that got the receiving end of that 81 pt. drubbing (Murray).

That F-M team was insanely good. They set the title game scoring record in the first half of that drubbing. And Murray had one helluva team that year, too. In almost any of the other 12 years I've been going to the Dome for the finals, that Murray team would have won it all. F-M (their QB was also really good on both sides of the ball) was just that much better.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010

Blum was part of that star-studded 2005 recruiting class. Played in the Army AA game and did very well; injuries just never let him even get a fair shake at Iowa. I'm not sure what his day job is, but he runs the Iowa Football University program in Des Moines and had some really good teams this fall/winter. One group made it to either the national semis or championship game down in San Antonio.

Didn't Chad Greenway play 8 or 6-man in South Dakota? I'd say he turned out OK.

I think it was 9-man? I'm not positive on that, but that's how I remember it.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Nerness just transferred to a powerhouse North Carolina High School.

Trey Scott has a nice article on it.