Need a good mechanic in Ames

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Kid’s car is broken down in Ames and I need to contact a mechanic and probably get it towed there. I don’t know the extent of the problem but I’m just looking for anyone who’s had good luck with an honest mechanic in Ames. I’m 2 hours away so can’t help at all this week. At least it got to a parking lot. Suggestions? West side would be great but can’t be choosy. TIA!

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Kid’s car is broken down in Ames and I need to contact a mechanic and probably get it towed there. I don’t know the extent of the problem but I’m just looking for anyone who’s had good luck with an honest mechanic in Ames. I’m 2 hours away so can’t help at all this week. At least it got to a parking lot. Suggestions? West side would be great but can’t be choosy. TIA!

An honest mechanic?

tenor.gif

• Funny
Reactions: Macloney

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I've had a few things done through Shaffer's Auto Body and they've been great to me. I went there for collision stuff, but I would imagine they'd take mechanical repairs off the street too.

• Agree
Reactions: isu_oak

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Paying close attention to this. My daughter will be at ISU in the fall. Thanks in advance.

isu_oak

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2006
Shaffer Auto has been my "go-to" for collision and maintenance. The last time I was there was to get a wheel bearing replaced. They called me when it was finished and told me they were able to get it done a little quicker than they thought, so they charged me less labor. Also, the free loaner vehicles are great since I work out of town.

If you don't need a loaner vehicle during the repair, Hansen Auto has also been good to me.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Shaffer’s, Trickles, Mark Hanson’s have all been around a long time.
Rarely hear much bad about any of them.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Paying close attention to this. My daughter will be at ISU in the fall. Thanks in advance.
Do you know where she is going to live, if it’s Friley she may not need one? Looking back, I had a car but the bus system now is pretty decent.

My parents caved to let me take mine because I had an off campus job and lived at Towers.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Do you know where she is going to live, if it’s Friley she may not need one? Looking back, I had a car but the bus system now is pretty decent.

My parents caved to let me take mine because I had an off campus job and lived at Towers.

I think it's between Maple, Willow and Geoffrey. Even though Geoffrey is probably wishful thinking since she'll be a first year.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I think it's between Maple, Willow and Geoffrey. Even though Geoffrey is probably wishful thinking since she'll be a first year.
MWL isn’t a bad spot. Believe they redid dining room there not too long ago.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Had a good experience with Wheelocks a couple of months ago, and have heard good things about Precision Auto. Ultimately I chose Wheelocks between the two because the labor was considerably cheaper. Will definitely be back there.

I've gotten quotes from Hanson's a couple of times. Lots of good stories out there about them, but whenever I have interacted with them it seemed like they couldn't care less if they gained my business. Probably won't check with them again.

josh4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2012
Ames, IA
Sounds like I need to check out wheel locks next time I need something done. But I have had some good work done at Eastman just north of old main.

Eastman Auto Care
305 6th St, Ames, IA 50010
(515) 232-8809
https://g.co/kgs/eyHKEt

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
My daughter lived in Geoffrey as a freshman and frankly didn’t care for that much. Almost too new and “hotel” like. she preferred the more traditional dorm rooms of some of her friends. Granted, she did not prefer any that didn’t have air conditioning.

• Informative
Reactions: Gonzo

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I really like the Midas on Lincoln Way. They do all sorts of mechanical work and have taken great care of me and my kid's cars for 15 years, including telling me when to get rid of a beater. Plus the owner/operator has ISU vanity plates and I've even seen him at a CF football recruitment day party.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Thanks to all for suggestions. I was hoping you all would have the exact same answer!

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
My daughter lived in Geoffrey as a freshman and frankly didn’t care for that much. Almost too new and “hotel” like. she preferred the more traditional dorm rooms of some of her friends. Granted, she did not prefer any that didn’t have air conditioning.

Good to know. I wouldn't want her to live anywhere without AC.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron