NCAA Bracket Facts...

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Are there facts that you use sometimes in assisting you to fill out your bracket? Here's my big one that really isn't discussed all that much but the odds are off the charts high of happening...

In 21 of the last 22 years, at least one No. 2 seed has failed to make it to the Sweet 16. That means 95% of the time, at least one 2 seed is upset by a 7/10 seed.

Yours?

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Are there facts that you use sometimes in assisting you to fill out your bracket? Here's my big one that really isn't discussed all that much but the odds are off the charts high of happening...

In 21 of the last 22 years, at least one No. 2 seed has failed to make it to the Sweet 16. That means 95% of the time, at least one 2 seed is upset by a 7/10 seed.

Yours?

Good thing to remember. It makes sense, basically you're looking at a fringe top 25 team trying to knock off a top 10 team. Not impossible for the 7/10 vs. 2.

For me, it's typically at large teams with losing conference records don't seem to last long. Only 20 of the last 41 have won the first round game with 6 making the sweet 16.

Last edited:

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
I'm not a person who looks on Hawkeye Nation very often at all. However, there is a current podcast entitled Dos and Don'ts for filling out your bracket. Steve Deace essentially provides a lot of analytics about filling out a bracket. I'm not advocating for sending a lot of traffic to that site - but that portion of the podcast was VERY interesting. I know that Deace can be polarizing to many, but this podcast focused mostly on the dos and don'ts & I found it interesting.

Chizit

Dec 21, 2008
Section L, Row 11
In the last 10/11 tournaments, there has been at least one 4+ seed in the final four, and 11/11 for 3+. I'm sure if you go back further the trend continues, but I just looked somewhat recently. This stat alone made me change my final four, now have Florida State and Houston.

This is why it is always laughable when I see ESPN and CBS heads go straight chalk plus maybe a 2 seed in there.

• Dislike
Reactions: atlantacyclone

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
In the last 10/11 tournaments, there has been at least one 4+ seed in the final four, and 11/11 for 3+. This stat alone made me change my final four, now have Florida State and Houston.
This is why it is always laughable when I see ESPN and CBS heads go straight chalk plus maybe a 2 seed in there.

Top three seeds that were unranked before the season have made the Final Four just two times out of 53 since the field expanded in 1986. So if you're looking at No. 3 Texas Tech or No. 3 Houston to make a deep run, maybe think again.

cyyote15

Nov 3, 2013
Sioux Falls, SD

Yours?

I think if Nevada can advance, it will make a very interesting game with Michigan.

cyyote15

Nov 3, 2013
Sioux Falls, SD
Top three seeds that were unranked before the season have made the Final Four just two times out of 53 since the field expanded in 1986. So if you're looking at No. 3 Texas Tech or No. 3 Houston to make a deep run, maybe think again.

Well I did have Tech in the final four... Thanks for ruining my bracket already! lol

• Funny
Reactions: dahliaclone

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I usually look for upsets in the 7/10 8/9 and 5/12 games as those always seems to have at least a few teams more than capable of pulling off an upset. Hell anymore we've been seeing 2-4 seeds bowing out early some years too. Have a feeling this is going to be a crazy tournament this year but ultimately will still get at least 3 blue bloods into the Final 4.

Anyone have your younger kids pick brackets based off of mascots? This will be the 3rd year I do that with my oldest daughter who is almost 5 now. The funny thing is she usually does fairly well in at least 1 regional every year and gets some of the upsets no one else usually gets. The last 2 years she's done pretty well picking Oregon (aka "Donald Duck") to her as they made the Final 4 and Elite 8. Trying to remember who it was last year but it was one of those high seeds that came out of no where to make the Sweet 16 she picked to make elite 8 or Final 4 I think. I usually put her bracket in one of the online groups I enter for free and give my friends crap if her bracket winds up doing better than theirs. My youngest doesn't turn 2 until May but next year could be fun having them both do 1 and seeing who does better.

Reactions: NWICY

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
This year I could see it going the opposite way. Oregon has gotten hot these last few weeks, Liberty is the "trendy pick", Marquette has been on a slide, and New Mexico State has an all around quality team.
Yeah, don't disagree. I was just making an observation about the trends in the past few years.

• Agree
Reactions: cyyote15

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron