Mulkey to LSU?

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Assuming Kim works for 5 years...this puts her at 20 years of service as a Louisiana state employee. Her pension roughly ends up as...

2.5% times 20 (years of service) times $225,000 (avg monthly income)
= $125,000 per month in retirement pay

Not too shabby...

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
Assuming Kim works for 5 years...this puts her at 20 years of service as a Louisiana state employee. Her pension roughly ends up as...

Not too shabby...

Except that 15 of those years would be at a MUCH lower salary. I'm guessing her average pension would be more like $30k-50K per month. Still not shabby. It would go up substantially for each year after 20 that she sticks around.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net

Not too shabby...
Her base salary is $400k. I wonder if the supplemental compensation counts in the pension calculation.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Except that 15 of those years would be at a MUCH lower salary. I'm guessing her average pension would be more like $30k-50K per month. Still not shabby. It would go up substantially for each year after 20 that she sticks around.

Average Compensation is based on a member’s highest 36 or 60 months of earnings. Accrual rate is determined by the retirement plan of the member. Details on these terms can be found in the LASERS Member’s Guide to Retirement.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Except, she was hired prior to 2006...their system uses the job of first hire to determine the system. It then uses the average monthly salary of your highest 36 months of employment, in this case three years as the head basketball coach...roughly $225,000 per month.

Even if they use the "new" system, it uses the average monthly salary of your highest 60 months...again, at least $225,000 per month.

Reactions: acoustimac

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
After a little googling, it looks like generally only base salary is included in pension calculations. But I don't know if that's the case for Louisiana.
That may be the case. I would think the tax payers would revolt if coaches garnered that much of a pension...although her situation is different in that she had 15 years of previous time. If it is the base salary, then that equates to a more "modest" $17,500 per month.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA

What is the point of a “personal travel allowance?” University saves a few $ (and she saves on income taxes) if there’s only $75k in travel expenses?

My guess is that is for personal use of a school plane that is billed by the hour / mile or something like that.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
That may be the case. I would think the tax payers would revolt if coaches garnered that much of a pension...although her situation is different in that she had 15 years of previous time. If it is the base salary, then that equates to a more "modest" $17,500 per month.
The next question is whether she had her pension contributions refunded to her when she originally left Louisiana (which she may have been eligible to do), but I imagine she'd likely repay those refunded contributions so she can get her full pension benefit back.

I now know way more about the State of Louisiana pension system than I ever thought I would.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
The next question is whether she had her pension contributions refunded to her when she originally left Louisiana (which she may have been eligible to do), but I imagine she'd likely repay those refunded contributions so she can get her full pension benefit back.

I now know way more about the State of Louisiana pension system than I ever thought I would.

I am impressed at the equal parts creativity and chutzpah required to name the thing “LASERS.”

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway

Mulkey's buy-out if she is fired by the university without cause is $2.5 million until June 30, 2022. The term sheet states it drops to $2 million after July 1, 2023.
If Mulkey were to take another job, she would owe $2 million within 30 days of her termination date.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
I'll throw a wild card into all of this. I ran across a similar discussion on an LSU board. They started looking at other states and someone mentioned Connecticut with Calhoun and Auriemma. Apparently in Connecticut, the highest paid state employees are not part of the state pension plan but rather TIAA-CREF. I would suspect they are not the only state with this type of arrangement.

But with that being said, unless her financial planner is a crook, she should have more money than she could ever spend in retirement with or without a pension.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron