MSU/ISU Game Thread

Rick

Mar 18, 2007
Ankeny
Somebody needs to jump on the MSU board and show them how to do a meltdown. 2 pages after a couple of hours. Heck we would have 20 by now.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Somebody needs to jump on the MSU board and show them how to do a meltdown. 2 pages after a couple of hours. Heck we would have 20 by now.

If you want a meltdown down right send an Iowa fan.

volclone

Apr 11, 2006
Kara Lawson keeps saying Mich St got a raw deal in the last 7 seconds. Hey Kara TN lost...we're in the Elite 8...sc**w you!:biglaugh:

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
The refs did let them have it out a bit in the last few seconds, but you can't let free throws decide that game. That was MSU's game to lose from start to finish. They had plenty of chances to put us away. It's their own fault for letting it come down to the last 7 seconds.

It sure is nice to be on this side of a nailbiter.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Kara Lawson keeps saying Mich St got a raw deal in the last 7 seconds. Hey Kara TN lost...we're in the Elite 8...sc**w you!:biglaugh:

Actually, someone should tell Kara that Mich State's poor coaching down the stretch blew it for them. After the first turnover against our press, she should have called a timeout to calm her troops down and regroup. She didn't (because she is not even half the coach BF is) and that is what cost them the game - NOT THE REFS!! One trip down the floor does not lose the game - it was those costly Turnovers and loss of composure that even put their team in that position to have to try and coax the refs into determining the game. AND THANK GOODNESS the REFS DID NOT BLOW A WHISTLE!!

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
Quick highlight video/ celebration now up on cyclones.com along with pretgame locker toom, postgame media.

edit sorry, pregame lockerroom

Last edited:

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

Allowing ISU to score 8 points in 45 seconds while MSU never got the ball past ISU's freethrow line in that span had nothing to do with ISU winning.

PolkCityClone

Mar 24, 2006
If Wieben could make a shot from 2 feet, this would not have been close. She is so frustrating. Once game she can score 18 and shoot 75 percent and then go 1 for 10.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Actually, someone should tell Kara that Mich State's poor coaching down the stretch blew it for them. After the first turnover against our press, she should have called a timeout to calm her troops down and regroup. She didn't (because she is not even half the coach BF is) and that is what cost them the game - NOT THE REFS!! One trip down the floor does not lose the game - it was those costly Turnovers and loss of composure that even put their team in that position to have to try and coax the refs into determining the game. AND THANK GOODNESS the REFS DID NOT BLOW A WHISTLE!!

I'm not one to complain about a W, but the last couple of minutes raises a question. Should we have pressed for more of the game against a team with weak point guard play and dominant post play? I know that it's not BF's style, but in this case we probably could have coasted home a little easier.

Reactions: CycloneErik

volclone

Apr 11, 2006

Totally agree. Also, another thing that hasn't been mentioned, the tougher team won. When you are down 7 with 1 minute to play and refuse to lose...that is toughness. Again, I hope Mac was taking notes.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
I'm not one to complain about a W, but the last couple of minutes raises a question. Should we have pressed for more of the game against a team with weak point guard play and dominant post play? I know that it's not BF's style, but in this case we probably could have coasted home a little easier.

I would guess that we didn't press more often because the team only practices it as a "special situation" once a week (this was mentioned by Aus in her postgame interview). Since the press is not our forte, I would imagine that it would not have been very effective if we had used it more often in the game. It became effective because we jumped into it, they turned it over & we scored. They had difficulty maintaining composure, trying NOT to lose. We may have been able to do this a couple times early on, but they likely would have made adjustments for the rest of the game, IMHO.

Reactions: CycloneErik