Mortgage Refi Question

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I should be hearing back from the bank today on an initial application. If only I could find a decent house that I want to buy... but that's a whole different problem.

superman_101680

Oct 30, 2006
SW Michigan
I've been quoted a 3.75 for a refi (currently at a 4.20) but I'll need a new appraisal and closing costs of 2500. I've had the mortgage for about a year and a half so I'm thinking of waiting. Given it's the same credit union, I was surprised we had to do another appraisal.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
I've been quoted a 3.75 for a refi (currently at a 4.20) but I'll need a new appraisal and closing costs of 2500. I've had the mortgage for about a year and a half so I'm thinking of waiting. Given it's the same credit union, I was surprised we had to do another appraisal.

From what other posters have said, I'd push to have them drop the new appraisal. Also, I'd shop that rate. Assuming you are talking a 30yr. note. I was quoted last week 3.25% from a credit union in central iowa

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Negotiate and roll the closing cost into the loan. Saving roughly .75% is a nice saving each month(depends on the loan amount).

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
We are 4 years into our last refi (15 year) at 3.125%. Our broker says he could get us maybe 2.875% but he agrees that that wouldn't be cost effective when you factor in refinancing costs.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneDaddy

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
And? I'm not sure what cherry picked stock performance data is supposed to show. There was a recession every time. It does appear that the time to the start of the recession has been taking longer each time.
That's showing the S&P, not cherry-picked stocks. If we follow history there will be a bounce-back in the stock market.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
That's showing the S&P, not cherry-picked stocks. If we follow history there will be a bounce-back in the stock market.

It's the time frame that is cherry-picked. Not the index. The stock market freaked out because this indicator has always been followed by a recession. I do think we could see a sharp if not incredible bounce in US stocks. This will be a blow-off top like Japan circa 1980's

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
It's the time frame that is cherry-picked. Not the index. The stock market freaked out because this indicator has always been followed by a recession. I do think we could see a sharp if not incredible bounce in US stocks. This will be a blow-off top like Japan circa 1980's
That why the bottom graph shows a 3-year period, not dates. I do agree, we should see a nice bounce-back.

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
Yes, most banks still get appraisals because they are required but there are numerous and growing exceptions. Fannie Mae hasn't required appraisals under the de minimus ($250,000) I believe it was and they've been trying to raise that level to $400,000. Of course we see the requirements decline significantly just as we hit a peak in the market.

Collateral is not the only thing of value in the transactions. The borrower has always been as much or a bigger piece of the value. It's not like they are going to just let the borrower off the hook if the home declines in value.

And yes, many appraisers faced lawsuits after the 2008 decline. There were some that were awful and some outright fraud but most were minor errors. Nobody paid any attention or cared until the market declined.

If we are solely discussing GSE's, appraisals are still required for the overwhelming majority of the transactions that take place. Will that change? Yes...once they feel they have compiled enough data to do so. But that is some time off.

appraisers got sued because they were allowing themselves to be influenced to meet inflated values...thus, appraisal independence was born.

My statement about collateral was tongue in cheek...people are wildly unpredictable. An 800 credit score today can be 520 next week...so in many ways, yes, it's the primary concern in the event the borrower ***** the bed.

Last edited:

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
From what other posters have said, I'd push to have them drop the new appraisal. Also, I'd shop that rate. Assuming you are talking a 30yr. note. I was quoted last week 3.25% from a credit union in central iowa

an appraisal is only good for so long...so all these people posting that you get to use your same appraisal or that you don't need one do not work in the secondary market. You'll more than likely be required to obtain a new appraisal.

that rate is on the high side though, especially with those costs. I'd shop a bit if I were you.

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
It takes times to do real work. Does anyone ever complain how long it takes lawyers to get anything done? And you are paying a heck of a lot more for that job. There are lots of terrible appraisers because they don't make any money. The good ones are stopping doing any lending work and transitioning to private work.

lolz

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Negotiate and roll the closing cost into the loan. Saving roughly .75% is a nice saving each month(depends on the loan amount).
Do people do this? Pay ~3% interest for 30 years on money you should have available? I mean if you can't come up with $2500 maybe you should rethink your financial strategy.

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
Do people do this? Pay ~3% interest for 30 years on money you should have available? I mean if you can't come up with $2500 maybe you should rethink your financial strategy.

all. the. time.

the system is set up to put people in homes, not necessarily put people in homes who SHOULD be in homes.

You want to be surprised, look at some of the government guaranteed loans that allow people to buy a home and start off with 105% loan to value...rolling in all kinds of costs.

• Agree
Reactions: ArgentCy

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
all. the. time.

the system is set up to put people in homes, not necessarily put people in homes who SHOULD be in homes.

You want to be surprised, look at some of the government guaranteed loans that allow people to buy a home and start off with 105% loan to value...rolling in all kinds of costs.

Definitely agree. The system has been developed by large banks and the NAR. Just always keep that in mind. Their goals are clearly the same and that is to get lots of transactions and at ever increasing prices.

Speaking of which the government has consented to raising the minimum. Nothing like doing this as the market is already falling. Here is a good article from the appraisers point of view. Got to love the government.

http://www.workingre.com/de-minimus-raised/

But bizarrely those most qualified to do them, licensed appraisers, are barred from completing evaluations in most states: they are only allowed in Tennessee, North Carolina, Virginia, and a handful of other states where appraisers have recently banded together to pass legislation that specifically exempts appraisals from USPAP when performing evaluations.

cyphoon

Sep 8, 2011
one thing I'm hung up on is the equity I have. I think I'm at about 20%, but I'm not totally sure

Make sure you verify that 20% would get you out of PMI on a refi. Sometimes a refi has a higher requirement (like 25%)