Mods could do a better job with threads/posters

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
What good has ever come from a political discussion on this site?

It just makes people feel good about themselves. Just to vent. Or it is the I am smarter than you or better than you angle. But it all goes nowhere. Funny **** is, if we were all neighbors we'd all get along just fine, unless you let your dog **** on my lawn often and not pick it up.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
The cave is opt in and not seeable by anybody who is not logged in so...

there are far more issues in the threads that pretend to be non-political that exist outside the cave

I realize it's opt in or out. My point is I imagine a great deal of the complaining comes from Cave related threads (i.e., personal attacks). This is a sports website, I just can't imagine it's worth the mods effort to keep the Cave going unless it has a bunch of traffic.

But I also realize the crossover between sports and politics is huge, and getting rid of the Cave would not end political debate on here. But I do imagine it'd be easier to deal with if they weren't having to spend so much time monitoring the Cave.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I realize it's opt in or out. My point is I imagine a great deal of the complaining comes from Cave related threads (i.e., personal attacks). This is a sports website, I just can't imagine it's worth the mods effort to keep the Cave going unless it has a bunch of traffic.

But I also realize the crossover between sports and politics is huge, and getting rid of the Cave would not end political debate on here. But I do imagine it'd be easier to deal with if they weren't having to spend so much time monitoring the Cave.
I’d imagine most of the complaints reported in the cave come from a very select group of individuals, most of them dumb or unwarranted, which the mods could probably resolve if they REALLY wanted to but would probably take quite a bit of legwork to do. A good start would be if people were adult enough to not create 18 alt accounts to keep posting every time they get banned.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
It just makes people feel good about themselves. Just to vent. Or it is the I am smarter than you or better than you angle. But it all goes nowhere. Funny **** is, if we were all neighbors we'd all get along just fine, unless you let your dog **** on my lawn often and not pick it up.
I have a hard time thinking I would get along well living next to some of the people around here.

kcbob79clone

But I also realize the crossover between sports and politics is huge

Crossover is huge and it began with March Madness being canceled. At a time when you could literally go into any sports thread on here and get bombarded with negative covid news and opinions some of us thought it would be good to show that there was some positive news out there. As we've gotten further and further into this, realizing that the crisis is only 8 months or so long, we keep getting more and more positive news. I can only speak for myself but in the positive threads I only presented the article or clinical study or CDC reporting with no commentary. Also speaking only for myself in some of the other sports threads (with covid commentary) I did interject some commentary and at time bad attempts at humor to try and diffuse the situation. I have quit doing that. My threads are sports that aren't covid corrupted, sadly few and far between, sometimes Star Trek, Star Wars, Marvel, etc. and the positive covid threads. I have no desire for the Cave and never have. I appreciate the varying topics on this site, although the gameday gifs could use some updating :):):):)

Reactions: flycy and STLISU

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
I've often wondered how much traffic the Cave must get for Chris and the mods to put up with all that. It must be a lot to not just pull the plug on the whole thing...

In my experience, message boards where people hang out will generally spill over into politics or other off-topic subjects. This can be more common due to decisions made at our state, university, city levels, which affect ISU fandom, and also the environment of our team. So it's better to create a specific forum to dump those messages in, where people who want to discuss those topics can go there and the rest can avoid them.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I've had a few PMs asking why I moved this from OT. And here's the answer - both sides are being ridiculous.

One side start the thread under the guise of "positive" news in an attempt to only show data and propaganda that makes everything look rosy and positive for political reasons. It's clear y'all aren't women, because these are some of the worst, fumbling attempts at manipulation I've ever seen.

The other side brought it off the rails in an attempt to get it sent to the cave, which was also transparent, fumbling manipulation. And we have not allowed purposeful sabotage like that before, even if the premise is faulty originally.

In short, I don't think I should have to hold OP's hand on why this had to go to the cave. We all knew what was going on.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Especially when the definition of "serial violators" is concerned. Most of the issues were created by "positive posters" who decided to inject personal views into their posts rather than just posting links and information. This in turn led, not surprisingly to anyone, to those who Bob would undoubtedly consider serial violators to do things. To his credit, Bob didn't generally engage in that , unlike some of his brethren, who undoubtedly would not be considered violators by old postive Bob. You reap what you sow, Bob. And yes, I think the Mods do know who "they" (the true violators) are.

Threads where "questioning" is not allowed are a horrible idea.

I didn't derail whatever happened recently but a few weeks ago someone posted dangerously false information and I asked for links to clinical trial results.

Of course they couldn't provide them but five morons who thought they were "non-partisan" for spreading false info on covid came down in me like I had just killed a puppy.

You can ban me any day for questioning false information about something that has killed over 200,000 Americans.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I've noticed this too for a while. Its always the same 10-15 idiots crapping the thread on whatever political topic it is. I gave up on reporting personal attacks because nothing was being done about them. The rules might be posted for everyone to follow, but currently I'm not seeing any evidence of enforcement.

Maybe don't use the dumb button thousands of times including this thread while you cry about personal attacks. It makes you look super fragile.

I can't look at my alerts without seeing a dozen dumb buttons from Gorn and I don't even talk to this guy.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
In short, I don't think I should have to hold OP's hand on why this had to go to the cave. We all knew what was going on.

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Angie