***MLB Postseason Thread***

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
I still hate the play-in game. Game 163 to settle a tie is one thing. A play-in game for the wildcard is garbage.

The logic is that it rewards the Division winners. Traditionally the wild card was treated no differently than the other playoff teams and technically were rewarded if the best record came out of their division by not having to play them first. Plus it has set up more late season drama than you will typically see (exception last year). It actually is good for the game. What's not fun about the A's getting a shot from a baseball perspective? If you don't like the play-in game then you either don't understand it or you are a Braves fan. Win. That's what playoffs are about. The NFL technically has play-in games as teams get byes. Any complaints there?

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
I was watching an ESPN video that had the all-star team combining both leagues and here is what Eric Karabell and Dave Schoenfield thought.

1st Team
C- Buster Posey-SF
1B- Prince Fielder- Det.
2B- Robinson Cano- NYY
SS- Ian Desmond- Wash.
3B- Miguel Cabrera- Det.
LF- Ryan Braun- Mil.
CF- Mike Trout- LAA
RF- Jason Heyward- Atl.
SP- Justin Verlander

Anybody you guys would switch instead of the top or do you think this would be the best team to put out there this year?

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Probably not except maybe R.A. Dickey the starting pitcher.

Edit: I also think Molina is better than Posey, Yes I know its a biased opinion.

Last edited:

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
the best team was more likely to win.

First, it actually does reward the Division winners by making the Wild Card team earn it. Otherwise you could have the Wild Card getting a better match-up out of the gate. Playoffs aren't a format to gift trophies to the "best team." They are a chance for the best teams to play on the biggest stage and win. How often does the best record win championships? Probably not as much as you think. Were the Giants anyone's best team in the NFL last year? That's not how it works. Otherwise we'd just give the trophy to the team with the best record and be done. I don't disagree with the best remaining record being home field but how else do you justify the farce that is the All Star game. Show up and play because it might just matter come October.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
The logic is that it rewards the Division winners. Traditionally the wild card was treated no differently than the other playoff teams and technically were rewarded if the best record came out of their division by not having to play them first. Plus it has set up more late season drama than you will typically see (exception last year). It actually is good for the game. What's not fun about the A's getting a shot from a baseball perspective? If you don't like the play-in game then you either don't understand it or you are a Braves fan. Win. That's what playoffs are about. The NFL technically has play-in games as teams get byes. Any complaints there?
The NFL's makes sense...the games after that are one game. You can't just have a pitcher have a crappy outing and get booted from the playoffs.

And there isn't any added drama right now in the American League. The Orioles and A's would still be fighting for a spot in the playoffs. There would still be drama today since everyone has been eliminated and the playoff field is set (just not seeded).

Atlanta should be in the playoffs. They were, at worst, 4 games better than the next team after them. They should be playing the Reds in the first rounds and the Giants should be playing against the Nats. The Yankees, Rangers, Orioles, and A's should all be fighting for both a spot and the home field advantage.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Cards will clinch a spot tonight and we know what they can do when they get in.

world-series-david-freese-o.jpg

I hope you do. Dodgers fans are dooshers.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
First, it actually does reward the Division winners by making the Wild Card team earn it. Otherwise you could have the Wild Card getting a better match-up out of the gate. Playoffs aren't a format to gift trophies to the "best team." They are a chance for the best teams to play on the biggest stage and win. How often does the best record win championships? Probably not as much as you think. Were the Giants anyone's best team in the NFL last year? That's not how it works. Otherwise we'd just give the trophy to the team with the best record and be done. I don't disagree with the best remaining record being home field but how else do you justify the farce that is the All Star game. Show up and play because it might just matter come October.
Awesome, then managers get to manage it like a real game. None of this crap where you have to take a player from each team. The managers get to pick the starters and bench they want with no fan input. They get the best of the best and use the pitchers like it's a real game.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Probably not except maybe R.A. Dickey the starting pitcher.

Edit: I also think Molina is better than Posey, Yes I know its a biased opinion.

Molina was on the 2nd team and said he would be up for the MVP if not for Posey.

EDIT: Beltran was 1st team on another guys all-star list on ESPN as well.

Last edited:

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
Awesome, then managers get to manage it like a real game. None of this crap where you have to take a player from each team. The managers get to pick the starters and bench they want with no fan input. They get the best of the best and use the pitchers like it's a real game.

I'm all for that. I think generally the rosters are reflective of the best players. But you have to understand man that all of this stuff is to drive fan interest and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Of the 5 teams that will get a shot, I don't think there are any that don't belong. This isn't the NHL where they are forced to take dogs.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
The NFL's makes sense...the games after that are one game. You can't just have a pitcher have a crappy outing and get booted from the playoffs.

Yes, you can. 1 game playoff series have been used forever to break ties and determine who advances. You might not like using 1 game to determine which WC team advances, but the win-or-go-home game isn't some newfangled invention. And if you don't want to be subject to the randomness that can occur in one game, then make sure you win your division. That's where the advantage comes in.

If it was all about having a perfectly competitive and "fair" process of crowning a champion, then you'd have all of the teams play identical schedules in the regular season and your champion would be the team with the best record. No postseason, just crown the best team.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Also, I think it's funny that the anti-Cardinals rule (the extra WC team) is the reason that the Cardinals are going to squeak into the playoffs again this year. ****in' Cards, hate those ****ers.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Also, I think it's funny that the anti-Cardinals rule (the extra WC team) is the reason that the Cardinals are going to squeak into the playoffs again this year. ****in' Cards, hate those ****ers.

I hope you get really butthurt when the Redbirds knock out the Redlegs.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron