***MLB Postseason Thread***

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Might be a bit early, but I'm excited for the postseason this year.

AL is wide open and I think the Braves/Cardinals winner goes to the WS.

Am I crazy to think the last statement?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
If all holds, who would have thought the Detroit Tigers would be the first to clinch their division?

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Giants tied with Dodgers 2-2 in the 8th.

Casilla gave up a single that scored the winning run in the 9th (surprise). Dodgers took it, 3-2. LA has far more to play for at this point than the Giants, since they are still chasing the Cards for the 2nd wild card spot.

I have tickets for game 1 in San Francisco on Saturday, but flights are SO f-ing expensive. I don't know if I'm going to be able to go or not. Have seen a post-season game for the Twins before, but have never been able to see my Giants play in the post-season in person. When I bought them, I figured I'd rather have them and need to sell them if I couldn't go, than be able to go and not be able to afford the game tickets. <sigh>

Still don't know if San Francisco will play the Nats or Reds (they have the same record going into Tuesday's games). I saw on MLB Network's ticker that Gio Gonzalez should start game 1 for the Nats. Gonzalez/Cain would be a great match-up to watch, even if it's only on tv.

CLONECONES

Mar 15, 2012
RVA
as a cubs fan I don't belong in here whatsoever

just wanted to say the 1 game play-in for the wildcard is like playing 6 minutes of an NFL game and deciding the winner that way

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I still hate the play-in game. Game 163 to settle a tie is one thing. A play-in game for the wildcard is garbage.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I have tickets for game 1 in San Francisco on Saturday, but flights are SO f-ing expensive. I don't know if I'm going to be able to go or not. Have seen a post-season game for the Twins before, but have never been able to see my Giants play in the post-season in person. When I bought them, I figured I'd rather have them and need to sell them if I couldn't go, than be able to go and not be able to afford the game tickets. <sigh>

Good news (for me, anyway)! Southwest dropped the price overnight out to SFO, which I bought with points, and I got a decent deal on a flight back on Frontier.

Woohoo! I'm goin' to San Francisco for game 1 of the NLDS!! :v_SPIN:

MissouriCyclone

Jul 24, 2011
Raleigh, North Carolina
Looking for my Royals to take the world series this year.... haha!

In all seriousness I'm a big fan of the Nats this year. A DC team hasn't been to the playoffs since 1933 and I met Bryce Harper at Fan Fest during the ASG festivities. Seemed like a good guy.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
I still hate the play-in game. Game 163 to settle a tie is one thing. A play-in game for the wildcard is garbage.

I'm the exact opposite. I thought the way MLB did the WC in years past was stupid. There was no real difference between teams that made it into the playoffs as division winners and as a WC.

Now, you not only have more teams theoretically involved in the playoff hunt, but you also have made winning your division mean something. If you want to avoid the 1 game series, then win your divison. Division winners should have some sort of advantage and I think getting a chance to set & rest your rotation/pitching staff while the WCs square off is a fair reward.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I'm the exact opposite. I thought the way MLB did the WC in years past was stupid. There was no real difference between teams that made it into the playoffs as division winners and as a WC.

Now, you not only have more teams theoretically involved in the playoff hunt, but you also have made winning your division mean something. If you want to avoid the 1 game series, then win your divison. Division winners should have some sort of advantage and I think getting a chance to set & rest your rotation/pitching staff while the WCs square off is a fair reward.
You get one. You hosted the first two games and had a chance to bury the team you were playing immediately. Right now 2 division winners have no advantage and the best seed has an advantage. What did that really accomplish? I'm a Yankee fan and they would have benefit from this more often than not in the past and I think it's garbage. I despise the fact that you go from playoffs to home in a game. This isn't football where they can't possibly play multiple games. 5-7-7 was a great format and the best team was more likely to win.

This year it could still end up being a huge mess because if the Yankees and Orioles tie for the division they fly to Baltimore and play Thursday, the loser ends up flying elsewhere and playing in the Wildcard Friday, and then Game 1 of the ALDS is Saturday with the possibility of the Yankees and Orioles owning the two best records in the American League and playing each other in the first round of the playoffs. The previous way worked nicely when you couldn't run into your division until the LCS.

Additionally, the World Series should be hosted by the team with the best record. Not the garbage we have now where the All Star Game decides the home field advantage.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Cards will clinch a spot tonight and we know what they can do when they get in.

world-series-david-freese-o.jpg