Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I want to

I would like to go ahead and slide this in right quick

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/286678

What's your point? I believe we both covered those points. Where's Mayweather's last fight on that list? How about McGregors? All three of CMs fights on that list have happened since Mayweathers last fight on that list. The fight for Mayweather is McGregor. He doesn't have a close comparison. I also didn't see a number that high for the Alvarez/McGregor fight but if that's a true number, Khabib and Conor crushes 2 million if it's in Russia. That's probably bigger in buys for Conor and he has the leverage there so it may be a bigger fight than Mayweather for him.

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010
McGregor totally has a chance. Didn't any of you nimrods see what Thunderlips did to Rocky???!!

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Thread bump. I see De la Hoya is throwing in his two cents on the megafight.

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/...tential-floyd-mayweather-conor-mcgregor-fight

I'm only a casual boxing fan at best and I pay virtually no attention to UFC at all, but De la Hoya's comments seem pretty spot on. It's not a knock on McGregor, but I don't see any way he keeps up with the best an entirely different sport has to offer. Waste of money for those who shell out for the PPV if it ever comes off. Unless you hate McGregor, in which case it might be worth it to kick back and watch him try to lay a glove on Mayweather for a few rounds.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Thread bump. I see De la Hoya is throwing in his two cents on the megafight.

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/...tential-floyd-mayweather-conor-mcgregor-fight

I'm only a casual boxing fan at best and I pay virtually no attention to UFC at all, but De la Hoya's comments seem pretty spot on. It's not a knock on McGregor, but I don't see any way he keeps up with the best an entirely different sport has to offer. Waste of money for those who shell out for the PPV if it ever comes off. Unless you hate McGregor, in which case it might be worth it to kick back and watch him try to lay a glove on Mayweather for a few rounds.

I won't read that article, and he's right if he's saying McGregor has no chance, but he's not an unbiased source considering how much money he would make if Floyd picked one of his boxers to fight (like an Alvarez rematch)

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I won't read that article, and he's right if he's saying McGregor has no chance, but he's not an unbiased source considering how much money he would make if Floyd picked one of his boxers to fight (like an Alvarez rematch)

Yeah, I get that he has a vested interest in it and it's worth pointing out. Doesn't make what he's saying untrue, though. It's a guy who's never boxed at the professional level taking on one of the best of all time.

The thing I disagree with is his assertion that McGregor will go back to the UFC after the fight. If he gets the payday that he's aiming for then he's done after the fight, win or lose. The way I understand it, there's no way he could make anything close to that in any UFC matchup.

Last edited:

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Mcgregor has zero chance. I am friends with Randy Coutures boxing coach and he trains fighters. been apart of the ultimate fighter tv show for two years. Said Connor will get murdered. I will trust him on this.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Floyd will punch him twice and play defense for the rest of the fight and win by decision. Most boring boxer of all time

• Agree
Reactions: Gonzo

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Mcgregor has zero chance. I am friends with Randy Coutures boxing coach and he trains fighters. been apart of the ultimate fighter tv show for two years. Said Connor will get murdered. I will trust him on this.

Zero? Give me 100:1 odds?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I don't think McGregor is going to win by any means but I don't think people realize that he was a champion boxer in Ireland as a kid before he went into MMA. In MMA he's pretty much dismantled everyone by boxing. That's not real easy to do.

The worst part about this fight is I think McGregor is done if it happens. He's said before he wants to get in, make a bunch of money, and then get out. If he were to win, then I think he boxes for big money because there will be big money there that won't be in the UFC due to the fact they can't build any rivals to him. Khabib is the only fight out there that really pays besides the obvious third Diaz fight. 145 and 55 just don't have stars to make it worth it for him.

Reactions: Knownothing

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Floyd will punch him twice and play defense for the rest of the fight and win by decision. Most boring boxer of all time
You know that's what he has become but that was not always the case. He used to punch hard and knock people out. In my opinion Floyd knocks him out in the 7th when mcgregor has been peppered by Floyd.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
are you drinking with him this weekend too?

anyone who thinks mcgregor has a chance in this fight is a dumb dumb.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
You know that's what he has become but that was not always the case. He used to punch hard and knock people out. In my opinion Floyd knocks him out in the 7th when mcgregor has been peppered by Floyd.

He isn't knocking him out.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
He isn't knocking him out.

What if McGregor gets totally gassed?

You probably know more about it than I do, but it seems to me that the stamina required for a twelve round boxing match is different than the stamina required for a UFC fight that goes five rounds at most. Obviously McGregor would train differently to make up for the difference if there is one, but suppose he gets to the seventh or eight round and he's punched himself out? Would Mayweather go for the kill or just keep dancing for the next three or four rounds?

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
are you drinking with him this weekend too?

anyone who thinks mcgregor has a chance in this fight is a dumb dumb.

What a lot of people don't realize about McGregor is that his two strengths when it comes to his boxing ability is his accuracy (probably the most accurate I've ever seen in MMA) and his length/reach. So, whatever anyone says, both of those translate over into a boxing match and are probably the two most needed things to beat Floyd. I've yet to see someone facing Mayweather who utilizes length like McGregor does, and if anything, distance is what Mayweather has utilized well and preyed on opponents with. Take that away and who knows. Reach CAN be everything when you've got someone like Mayweather who totally relies on staying JUST out of his opponents reach. Jon Jones is a perfect example of someone who relied on that. Then, enter in Gustafsson, and someone can get exposed QUICKLY. Also, if they fight at 145, McGregor is the biggest looking 145 pounder I've ever seen, which will help him in earlier rounds, but at the same time, raise to question his later rounds.

Truthfully, my two biggest question marks for McGregor are his stamina and how he'll have to alter his fight style. In MMA, he has been able to get away with the taunting (ego getting the best of him), opening himself up and not playing good defense. That crap won't fly during a Mayweather fight. Also, if I've got to name McGregor's biggest weaknesses, it is probably those things as well as his take down defense. Obviously, I said he needs to work on the former, but in boxing, he won't have to worry about the latter.

With all this said, anybody saying Mayweather will knock McGregor out immediately are straight up stupid and haven't watched Mayweather lately or McGregor probably at all. Truthfully, if we are just talking knock-outs, McGregor is probably the more likely to knock Mayweather out, even though I doubt either gets knocked out early.

Oh yeah, and no, I'm not a dumb dumb. I'll flip it around and say those dismissing McGregor so quickly are treading in that territory.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: CloneinWDSM

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
So actual pro boxers can't hurt Floyd (let alone knock him out) but McGregor can? Give me a freaking break. Hey, remember when Rhonda Rousey could beat a bunch of male fighters?

UFC fans just eat up whatever Dana White sells them.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
So actual pro boxers can't hurt Floyd (let alone knock him out) but McGregor can? Give me a freaking break. Hey, remember when Rhonda Rousey could beat a bunch of male fighters?

UFC fans just eat up whatever Dana White sells them.

I've held for years that Rhonda Rousey was a fraud and would eventually get exposed, which is exactly what happened. What I've always said is that she simply preyed upon the fact that she was somewhat ahead of her time, particularly in one area. What helped her more than anything was how much female MMA was in its infancy during her hey-day, where there really wasn't that many women's fighters, and at the same time, the sport had yet to attract the true athletes of women out there into the sport. Same thing was the case with men's MMA back at the start of the UFC. However, Rhonda really isn't that great of an athlete, and as time has gone on, the level of athlete, as well as the skills of those athletes entering the sport has continued to rise. Its just the evolution of new sports, where the disparity between athletes in that sport can vary drastically at first. Its also why I've always put an asterisk in my mind in front of all Rhonda's records. So, in the meantime, she hasn't changed much at all, but the level of her opponents has risen exponentially. Holly Holm is the perfect example. That woman is an ATHLETE and a skilled one at that. Earlier women's UFC had NOBODY even close to that level of an athlete. Again, the same thing has happened in men's MMA, but it just started earlier. Its almost a joke the level of skilled athletes in the sport now like a Jon Jones or McGregor as compared to 15 years prior.

As for how I think McGregor COULD hurt Floyd, read my reasoning in my previous post, and its not stupid one-phrase dismissal reasoning like a lot of people love to post these days.

Last edited:

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
What if McGregor gets totally gassed?

You probably know more about it than I do, but it seems to me that the stamina required for a twelve round boxing match is different than the stamina required for a UFC fight that goes five rounds at most. Obviously McGregor would train differently to make up for the difference if there is one, but suppose he gets to the seventh or eight round and he's punched himself out? Would Mayweather go for the kill or just keep dancing for the next three or four rounds?

Conditioning has always been the question around him and it's what got him beat in the first Diaz fight. The pressure's different in boxing though and CM got way better and getting his in fight breaks in the second Diaz fight. I don't think it will be an issue here. If I had to pick between conditioning for a boxing match and a five round MMA fight, I'd probably pick the boxing match. You don't have 2-3 minutes at a time of leverage battles where you're working every part of your body. The only hesitation I have with that opinion is that the only chance CM has of winning is knocking Floyd out early. Then I suppose he could punch himself out but I kind of doubt it. I think he'll be pretty disciplined but he will take big shots and if he catches him with one, who knows?

Help Support Us

Become a patron