Matt Blair passes away

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I just realized that both Matt Blair and AJ Klein wore #47 at ISU. I can't think of any ex-Cyclone linebackers that had better NFL success (may be forgetting someone). Maybe that should be a number of prestige for ISU linebackers, like a senior DL takes on #58.

Reactions: t-noah and simply1

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
I’ve been fortunate to see some very good Clyclones starting with Dwight Nichols. I believe Matt was the best. Some of the other older Cylone fans on here, correct me if I’m wrong, but didn‘t a helicopter land at midfield with Matt and Cy before a game? Not sure if it was the year he was injured or after he had gradiated. RIP Matt

Torks Pub

Dec 16, 2006
Ankeny
Guy was an absolute beast on the field and a nice guy off.

Walked in front of Beardshear on my way to Photography class. Parked out from of the Beardshear steps was a beautiful Mercedes 450 SL. Powder Blue with white leather interior. Top was down. Wandered into class and who was there as guest speaker? None other than Mr. Matt Blair. He had been on a Kodiak All American team and was given various equipment that he made into a hobby. Pretty good photographer based on the displays of his work. Come to find out, it was his car parked in front of Beardshear. Been a 450 SL fan every since. Of course, was a Matt Blair fan to begin with. A Cyclone favorite along with Dexter Green.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I was sitting in the offside bleachers right in the front row and saw John Stearns cheap shot Matt.

A gruesome play and I believe not a minor injury but I remember him missing only a few plays.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I love football but I worry if we are doing the right thing. Hopefully some changes that have made is making it safer.

I get what you are saying, but he did live to 70 and seemed to be doing pretty well based on interviews, reports, and personal testimonies posted here. Granted, I don't know the details of his last few years and it is tragic if CTE had anything to do with his demise, but it isn't like CTE pounded him in his 30's or 40's.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Matt was a good guy and to be honest there were some not so good guys knocking around back then. RIP Matt

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I get what you are saying, but he did live to 70 and seemed to be doing pretty well based on interviews, reports, and personal testimonies posted here. Granted, I don't know the details of his last few years and it is tragic if CTE had anything to do with his demise, but it isn't like CTE pounded him in his 30's or 40's.

70 isn’t exactly old.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
Yeah, those two had good, long careers as linemen (I once saw Keith Sims - and the many others of his FB brethren - doing aerobics on the BB court at State Gym in the offseason and it was, to say the least, pretty entertaining).

Blair might be considered the most successful though.

My most vivid memory was lifting weights (very loose definition) in the Olson Building at the same time as the FB team. Keith Sims should have been on "Worlds Strongest Man" competition. I think he could have given Magnus Ver Magnussen a run for his money.

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
50th Sun Bowl reunion next year. Many are now gone. So sad. RIP Matt. As many people have said, a true genuine kind human being which I would assume meant more to him that people remembered him for that, rather than just his athletic skill.

Winchester

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 27, 2020
Probably the best defensive back in ISU history. And certainly the game in and game out hardest hitter.

Sitting in the south end zone of Clyde Williams I saw him make hardest hit I have ever seen in football, period. Agaist Okie State.

Clyde Williams in the 60's and early 70's those were the days......

Reactions: t-noah

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
Probably the best defensive back in ISU history. And certainly the game in and game out hardest hitter.

Sitting in the south end zone of Clyde Williams I saw him make hardest hit I have ever seen in football, period. Agaist Okie State.

Clyde Williams in the 60's and early 70's those were the days......

When I was working in Arkansas in the late '70s I was talking football with a longtime Razorback fan. When I mentioned I was a Cyclone fan he immediately referred to 'an Iowa State LB who delivered the hardest hit I've ever seen'. He, of course, was talking about Matt, and the play I believe was when he knocked out the Hog RB Dickey.

Reactions: t-noah and Aclone