Matt Blair passes away

mullet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 2, 2010
Worked at Univ Bookstore in the mid 2000's and he was in town for some honor or event.

He stopped by UBS and we were talking at the cashier island how he was a noteworthy Cyclone/ former NFL player. When he went to the check-out my coworker said to him "So you're Tony Blair...?".

Cringe worthy at the time but funny in hindsight. I'll forever remember fondly that moment being close to a Cyclone Legend.

RIP to one of the best to wear an ISU uniform.

Reactions: Aclone and t-noah

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I knew Matt fairly well. I played basketball with him very frequently. He moved into my apartment on Welch Ave when I graduated.
I went to Cyclone FB games for 51 years (up until this year) and I think he is the best player to play at ISU during those years. Great guy, great athlete. Doubt any Cyclone can match his pro accomplishments either. RIP Matt.

IIRC his team rolled though the intramurals one year, I think 1972 or 1973. Think Ike Harris played on that team to. Might have been the Ques, the black fraternity. Totally routed my dorm house even with a couple of our guys having been on the freshman team before opting out of varsity.

Reactions: Aclone

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
IIRC his team rolled though the intramurals one year, I think 1972 or 1973. Think Ike Harris played on that team to. Might have been the Ques, the black fraternity. Totally routed my dorm house even with a couple of our guys having been on the freshman team before opting out of varsity.
Pretty sure that my pastor when I was younger (he was fresh out of seminary then) told stories about playing basketball with Matt Blair and Ike Harris. I know that for a 6’0” or so minister (engineering undergrad), he could really elevate and had a sweet jump shot. Always wore his red Converse low tops and Sun Bowl t-shirt when we played in the church gym.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron