Man or Bear

If you were alone in the woods, which would you prefer to encounter?

• I am male and would prefer to encounter a man.

Votes: 72 55.4%
  • I am male and would prefer to encounter a bear.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I am female and would prefer to encounter a man.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I am female and would prefer to encounter a bear.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Pig.

Votes: 27 20.8%

• Total voters

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
I've seen a lot of people really mad that a lot of women pick the bear.

But I can't really blame them. The bear certainly might kill you, but it definitely won't rape you first.

I wouldn't blame anyone for making whatever choice they want, but..

What are the odds a random man you encounter in the woods will rape OR kill you? VS the odds of a random bear you encounter killing you?

Without knowing anything about type/hometown of bear/man, I gotta assume your odds of survival are greater with the man (while fully recognizing it's a greater than 0% chance the man encounter ends badly).

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
I wouldn't blame anyone for making whatever choice they want, but..

What are the odds a random man you encounter in the woods will rape OR kill you? VS the odds of a random bear you encounter killing you?

Without knowing anything about type/hometown of bear/man, I gotta assume your odds of survival are greater with the man (while fully recognizing it's a greater than 0% chance the man encounter ends badly).

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
This feels like the set up for one of those what are the chances of there being two serial killers joke.

Reactions: cowgirl836

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I’ve seen a grizzly in the wild while hiking in northern Montana. Trust me, you want no part of that sh*t.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Well I hate people "in person", so if I chose man, I'd likely end up killing them rather than doing small talk.

A bear wouldn't be bad because he's either going to treat me like a baby and I don't need to hunt for food, or he's going to eat me quick, which saves me from having to eventually meet a man in the woods.

Reactions: MJ29 and madguy30

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It depends on the circumstances but I've been in a few even in northern Wisky where seeing another human means they're likely up to no good and know it, and a black bear is generally just passing through with no ill intent.

Being one on one with a black bear (even if they're generally not a threat, they could still kill you in several ways quickly) can be heart stopping but they're still more interesting than humans.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I am male and would prefer to meet a female in the woods.
nodding-yes.gif

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I know it wasn't meant by this but this exact response is why women overwhelmingly pick bear.
I’m not the grape type so that’s why that thought didn’t cross my mind. I can see how that would be another fear for women. When looked at it at that angle, it’s even a slight concern for men if you get a deliverance situation.