Lipsey Shoutout

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
He was the only one I felt comfortable with bringing up the ball on the press. He doesn’t flinch. Quickly has become a favorite. He found points of attack on that defense. Had to laugh at half when their coach cited their poor defense of him but he got their attention anyway.
The guy's just got the "it factor" it seems.

He continues to impress and improve every game he plays. He was basically blowing by the guy guarding him at will when he started taking it to the rack.

We just played 3 of the most tradition laden teams in college hoops who all will be very good this year as well. And TL played not just okay but very well in all 3. The future for that kid is very bright.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Seems a little harsh. He had a bad game against Villanova, but still had a major impact at the end despite that. The rest haven't been that bad. Never more than 2 outside of Villanova and over a 2-1 A:TO ratio on the season. Pretty good for a freshman who is asked to run point.

Yea and Villanova was his first high level opponent, he has adjusted

Reactions: Cjreimer

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
I figured he'd be good but he's exceeding my expectations thus far. I was glad to see him be more assertive on offense which so far he seems to be content with just running the offense. I think he knew the offense was struggling so he took it into his own hands. Nice game out of the young man.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
He is looking more comfortable out there every game. His athleticism has really stood out to me too. He's quick and seems to have a pretty impressive vertical. Three point shooting will come along, his free throws at the end of the Nova game point to that.

He has great quickness and anticipation. He will register a high number of steals this year. Need to see him on a runout and see if he can dunk.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
He's deceptive in his speed and the ability to finish is night and day compared to about the whole team last year.

Holmes needs appreciation too for his ability to get inside and create some action for the defense to respond to.

• Agree
Reactions: NENick and Cjreimer

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I will be really surprised if he shoots better than 45% overall and 35% from 3 pts. It is a long season. He hasn’t had a bad shooting night yet.
Even 35% would be a huge departure from "can't shoot and never will" which was the narrative from several posters when he announced he was entering the portal.

The improvement he has shown didn't come out of nowhere - it was there to see as last season wore on if paying attention.

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
Dude can fly and has a high motor. Let’s hope NIL doesn’t get in the way, though.

I don’t know. Would he shun Ames like that though? I know, I know, you can throw out the Harrison Barnes analogy out there, but I think this guy is different. More of a Fred Hoiberg version.

Last edited:

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Both of his parents I believe have great jobs with ISU, his financial situation is a bit different than a lot of other kids
Shhh!!! Don’t tell the NCAA his parents are getting paid by the university. Harmison and Hoiberg had a parent getting paid too. That could be grounds to take on KU’s penalties

CaptainClutch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 1, 2014
I don’t know. Would he shun Ames like that though? I know, I know, you can through out the Harrison Barnes analogy out there, but I think this guy is different. More of a Fred Hoiberg version.
No he wouldn’t leave ISU. Some people apparently have PTSD from Hunter.

Reactions: isutrevman

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I was really impressed with him last night. Reminds me a bunch of a young Monte. Except we don't have a Kane to take some of the ball handling pressure off of him. He'll struggle at times I'm sure, but he's a player we can build around long term. I would bet as he gets older, he'll develop a floater and at least be decent from 3 if he's left open. That's all we can ask for. I honestly would be surprised if Williams starts over Lipsey next year.

• Agree
Reactions: cyballrulz93

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I don't get the Monte Morris comparisons. Other than being solid PGs as freshman, their games seem nothing alike. Morris was a way better shooter. Lipsey is quicker and a bulldog defensively.

Cjreimer

Apr 25, 2022
I don’t know. Would he shun Ames like that though? I know, I know, you can through out the Harrison Barnes analogy out there, but I think this guy is different. More of a Fred Hoiberg version.
I think he is a pretty loyal guy. . . a good guy!

Cyman42

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2019
Dude can fly and has a high motor. Let’s hope NIL doesn’t get in the way, though.
We just signed the # 1 class in big 12. #6 class in nation. Idk where it's coming from but there is now some money spent on basketball. Open your eyes.