Lipsey Shoutout

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
He was great last night and I think we'll see great things from him moving forward. But I will say, as far as this season is concerned, I'm curious how Big 12 teams will defend him and how that will affect his offensive role. If I were an opponent, frankly I'd sag off of him defensively Ben Simmons style until he proves he can score at least some outside of the lane.

I don't mean to minimize how good he was last night. He did a great job taking what was there offensively and obviously was fantastic defensively. But I do think UConn extended their defense and pressured him more than was necessary given his shooting, or lack thereof. He's definitely a great finisher at the rim, though, which is nice to have and something we didn't really have last year.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I think we are in the middle of a mechanics change for him. Wonder if the staff did the same for Hunter with him now shooting at a 40+ clip at Texas.
The 40% clip shouldn't be a huge surprise to anyone. Last year Hunter shot .231 against the cupcakes in the first quarter of the season, struggled mightily in the second quarter (.167), improved during the third quarter (.263) and found his shot during the fourth quarter (.412).

If you think quarters of the season are too small of a sample size, the first third he shot .205, the second .225 and the final third .373.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
The 40% clip shouldn't be a huge surprise to anyone. Last year Hunter shot .231 against the cupcakes in the first quarter of the season, struggled mightily in the second quarter (.167), improved during the third quarter (.263) and found his shot during the fourth quarter (.412).

If you think quarters of the season are too small of a sample size, the first third he shot .205, the second .225 and the final third .373.
which would be in alignment with a shot mechanic change for Hunter. You are helping make my point. now in a second season of the shot change hitting them at 40+% clip.

Reactions: VeloClone

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Glad to see him get aggressive and drive to the hoop. I've noticed defenses have not been guarding him too close to the 3 point line as they know it's not his strong suit so if he can get some open drives like he did last night and force the defense to guard him more should open up some better looks for the rest of the guys.

Reactions: Cjreimer

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
He was great last night and I think we'll see great things from him moving forward. But I will say, as far as this season is concerned, I'm curious how Big 12 teams will defend him and how that will affect his offensive role. If I were an opponent, frankly I'd sag off of him defensively Ben Simmons style until he proves he can score at least some outside of the lane.

I don't mean to minimize how good he was last night. He did a great job taking what was there offensively and obviously was fantastic defensively. But I do think UConn extended their defense and pressured him more than was necessary given his shooting, or lack thereof. He's definitely a great finisher at the rim, though, which is nice to have and something we didn't really have last year.
The challenge when you sag off a guy like that is you let him get downhill and have shallow angles to get by you. Not to mention, sagging makes it easy for him to deep enough to draw help and dish or lob, and screws with your defensive rotations because the defenders get hung up in all the bodies in the lane.

Obviously teams are going to dare him to shoot, but there are a lot of unintended consequences for sagging off too far.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
The fact that we lost our starting PG transfer before the season even began and we are still having the success we are isn't being talked about enough. Lipsey has been incredible.
Kid has a high/great hoops IQ, he saw that UConn was not switching off to help when he drove and he exploited it.

That is what you want from a PG

Last edited:

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Lipsey is running at --

4.0 AST per game
1.8 TO per game
1.8 steals per game

ATR = 24/11 = 2.18

It's not Monté. Nobody is Monté.

But that's pretty good for a freshman PG pressed into the role due to injury.

He's certainly not a "turnover machine" for how much he is handling the ball against pressure.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Lipsey is running at --

4.0 AST per game
1.8 TO per game
1.8 steals per game

ATR = 24/11 = 2.18

He's certainly not a "turnover machine" for how much he is handling the ball against pressure.

I saw improvement in his ball handling through every game in Portland.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
He just has "it". Basketball instincts. Incredible defender for his age. Poise out the ass. Honestly better than freshman Hunter.

Agree. High basketball IQ. I figured he would come on slowly over the season, but he was right into the fire at PKI and not intimidated at all.

We are going to be making Monte comparisons forever. And that's a great thing.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I saw improvement in his ball handling through every game in Portland.

I'll agree with this -- plus being the only guy attacking the basket against UConn for some layups.

I'll use this reply as an opportunity to remind everybody that Monté spent his entire career in Ames surrounded by guys who made shots at a high percentage and at very high volumes.

You know, outside shooters like these guys --

DeAndre Kane
Dustin Hogue
Georges Niang
Naz Mitrou-Long
Matt Thomas
Donovan Jackson

Athletic freaks who were a hard matchup for anybody --

Abdel Nader
Bryce Dejean-Jones
Deonte Burton

And good (or even great) posts like these --

Melvin Ejim
Jameel McKay
Georges Niang (and yes, he's here twice)
Solomon Young

Tamin doesn't have the luxury of so much offensive talent around him to boost his assists numbers by making shots and making it so he doesn't have to take as many risks and thus avoiding turnovers.

Last edited:

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Lipsey is running at --

4.0 AST per game
1.8 TO per game
1.8 steals per game

ATR = 24/11 = 2.18

It’s apparent thought that he takes care of the ball. He’ll, even UConn last night pressed us every time Lipsey was out of the game (and quite successfully too).

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
I'll agree with this -- plus being the only guy attacking the basket against UConn for some layups.

I'll use this reply as an opportunity to remind everybody that Monté spent his entire career in Ames surrounded by guys who made shots at a high percentage and at very high volumes.

You know, outside shooters like these guys --

DeAndre Kane
Dustin Hogue
Georges Niang
Naz Mitrou-Long
Matt Thomas
Donovan Jackson

Athletic freaks who were a hard matchup for anybody --

Abdel Nader
Bryce Dejean-Jones
Deonte Burton

And good (or even great) posts like these --

Melvin Ejim
Jameel McKay
Georges Niang (and yes, he's here twice)
Solomon Young

Tamin doesn't have the luxury of so much offensive talent around him to boost his assists numbers by making shots and making it so he doesn't have to take as many risks and thus avoiding turnovers.
I was going to post something similar to this prior to seeing your post but wholeheartedly agree. I think if you put Lipsey on those teams that Monte had, he’d have a better assist rate which would translate to a better asst/to rate. Tamin can accelerate much better than monte too, and can defend better. It wouldn’t shock me at all if Tamin ended up being a better player for ISU by the end of his career where than Monte (and that is not a knock to Monte).

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I was going to post something similar to this prior to seeing your post but wholeheartedly agree. I think if you put Lipsey on those teams that Monte had, he’d have a better assist rate which would translate to a better asst/to rate. Tamin can accelerate much better than monte too, and can defend better. It wouldn’t shock me at all if Tamin ended up being a better player for ISU by the end of his career where than Monte (and that is not a knock to Monte).

That would be quite the career considering Hilton needs and will probably have this banner --

=====
MORRIS
=====