Linebackers

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I feel like this staff places less emphasis on linebackers in the traditional sense. The "Leo" is basically a large linebacker at the line of scrimmage; capable of pass rushing as well as dropping into coverage. Meanwhile the "Star" is a strong safety capable of helping stop the run. What are we technically playing? A 4-2-5? In this scenario, you don't need a ton of true linebackers. Welcome to today's pass-happy Big 12, where fast pass rushers and a loaded secondary are essential.

• Winner
Reactions: tolfbfan

pdxclone

Feb 7, 2007
Metropolis of Ames
What was missing last year was linebackers and safeties (outside KCM) willing to step into the gaps to stop the running game. Hopefully Vance and Sutton can do this at LB next year.

Outside of Tech Tech, the Big12 wasn't as pass heavy last year as you would think. Baylor, TX, OK, KSU, WV and almost TCU, all averaged over 200 ypg rushing in conf. play last year. Important because it leads to ball control and keeps it away from the opposition offense.

ISU was actually 3rd in pass defense but 8th in rushing defense last year. Giving up well over 200 ypg rushing. Yes we still had the 8th rated pass defense efficiency rating giving up 25 TDs thru the air but getting the ball back by stopping the run is a must to win more games.

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
It will primarily be Harvey, Northrup and Mills on the field this year with McMillen and Sutton getting worked in trying to get more experience.

By years end I think Sutton could be on the field quite a bit.

I'm hoping a linebacker or two will make the Jeremiah George/Jevohn Miller spring improvement.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I wouldn't be shocked if Vance & Hummel don't redshirt. We may see Vance worked into blitz packages in obvious passing situations & both would play on special teams. AK47 & Jake Knott played as true freshmen primarily on special teams.

pdxclone

Feb 7, 2007
Metropolis of Ames
I wouldn't be shocked if Vance & Hummel don't redshirt. We may see Vance worked into blitz packages in obvious passing situations & both would play on special teams. AK47 & Jake Knott played as true freshmen primarily on special teams.

I agree but Rhoads played older guys not the best guys. If Vance & Hummel are redshirted, hopefully this means that there are plenty of guys playing better during fall camp.

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
Why did we ever recruit Vance then if he was listed at 6'3"?! Let's just go find 6'1" LBs. I bet Knott was actually 6'1 3/4" or something so he still counted. And he needed every 1/4" against Iowa.

Reactions: Doc

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Isn't our Leo position more of a DE/LB hybrid? I would think that any "undersized" DE's could convert to that position or linebacker fairly easily if we needed them to.

Will we rename the "Leo" now that we have a player named "Leo?"

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
We are returning the starting punter next and they have three kickers competing next year. Kicker will be a position that will decline, but not to where it is a concern IMO.

Kicker is always a concern. We could have Morten Andersen returning and I'd be concerned.

• Friendly
Reactions: WrestlerJJE

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I'm just glad I don't have to watch you know who side step oncoming linemen at the point of attack allowing the running back to cruise into the secondary untouched again this year. We had guys deliberately take themselves out of position time and time again. Hoping that wasn't coached....o_O

• Winner
Reactions: SolarGarlic

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
I'm just glad I don't have to watch you know who side step oncoming linemen at the point of attack allowing the running back to cruise into the secondary untouched again this year. We had guys deliberately take themselves out of position time and time again. Hoping that wasn't coached....o_O

I'm guessing there were tables in the press box taking a beating at times last season in the defensive room. I've been told that it would be worth spending big $$$$$$ to have access to the head phone conversations of this staff.

• Agree
Reactions: TheJackWePack5

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls

I must be missing something. Which guy did this

• Friendly
Reactions: TheJackWePack5

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron