Led Zeppelin

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
No, it's just a thought experiment....but, consider Page's "competition"; Beck, Townsend, Clapton, HENDRIX, etc.

He's farther from "greatest" guitarist than Bonham or Plant are from greatest drummer / singer. I think a poll of rock journalist would agree (would love to see one).

JPJ is the wildcard. His list of rivals is pretty short at bass. Now throw in his mandolin / melotron / guitar / (name the instrument) prowess...he's also a force.

There's a legit argument that Page is least talented which speaks to the unreal talent in that band. Off the charts.

That is a better way to phase your argument. Thank you. :)

Just picking one potential rival, though...

The Who

You already put Townshend on that top rock guitarist tier.

Moon would be on the same uber tier as Bonham. I am sure any poll of rock musicians or critics would agree with that statement about the two. My personal Mt. Rushmore for rock drummers is Moon, Bonham, Neil Peart, and Stewart Copeland.

Entwistle would be much the same as a bassist.

Daltrey would be as a vocalist.

So that is another right there. :)

cyson

Jun 24, 2007
Page acknowledged he could play searing riffs but otherwise didn’t consider himself a phenom on guitar.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Zeppelin rocks.

I'd put The Stones at #1 though. The Who and AC/DC both kick all kinds of ass as well.

Not a huge Pink Floyd guy. Dark Side and Wish You Were Here have their moments.

Radiohead through OK Computer was excellent. Ever since that, I'm kinda convinced they're just trolling people by making random noise just to watch critics and people like Doc slurp it up and chuckle to themselves all the while. The fact that they wouldn't play Creep for years betrays this mentality.

Reactions: Drew0311

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Again, late to the party but posit this notion I've seen on another fan site:

Of the four member of the band, Jimmy Page is the least talented at his instrument.

It's crazy to think about but it's probably true!

Bonham - greatest rock drummer ever?
Plant - greatest rock singer ever?
Jones - musical polymath, plays every instrument and ALSO arguably greatest rock bassist.

It's nuts...

Bonham is fantastic, no doubt. I think I'd have to put Neil Peart ahead of him a bit, and would add that Ian Paice is likely Bonham's equal. Keith Moon, too.

You're right, at any rate. Likely one of the top 2 or 3 collections of talent ever.

Reactions: Drew0311

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I realize a little later from a career start than most of these guitar legends, but I have always wondered what Randy Rhoads would have provided had he not died in that plane crash. Amazingly talented, and had a major influence in a relatively short time period.

Reactions: Macloney

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
clapton swears Prince is the greatest guitar player ever.
This is a whole different thread...but Clapton could be right. To me, it's absolutely tragic that Prince didn't record more guitar work. He was a witch!

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
clapton swears Prince is the greatest guitar player ever.
prince might be the best musician ever in terms of playing a broad base of instruments at a professional level. I want to say he played like every instrument on all his albums.

Reactions: weR138

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
So many guitarists not getting much mention in here that are amazing. Santana, BB King, Stevie Ray Vaughn, among many others. Modern one is Synyster Gates of Avenged Sevenfold

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
So many guitarists not getting much mention in here that are amazing. Santana, BB King, Stevie Ray Vaughn, among many others. Modern one is Synyster Gates of Avenged Sevenfold
I always thought Jerry Garcia between his guitar and banjo work was underrated. A lot of really solid work.

Reactions: ThatllDoCy

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I always thought Jerry Garcia between his guitar and banjo work was underrated. A lot of really solid work.
Agree. Grateful Dead is my favorite band; I posted a live version of China Cat Sunflower earlier in this thread. So amazing.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
If they had a better singer than Plant I might agree.

Also, The Stones are so overrated as a band. They have hits but they aren't that talented at their instruments.

Last edited:

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Zeppelin rocks.

I'd put The Stones at #1 though. The Who and AC/DC both kick all kinds of ass as well.

Not a huge Pink Floyd guy. Dark Side and Wish You Were Here have their moments.

Radiohead through OK Computer was excellent. Ever since that, I'm kinda convinced they're just trolling people by making random noise just to watch critics and people like Doc slurp it up and chuckle to themselves all the while. The fact that they wouldn't play Creep for years betrays this mentality.

I dont get how you don't get into Pink FLoyd.