Lay it Out For Me

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

NEIACyclone

Oct 25, 2012
Can't speak to the licensing question. I know the CRTC has some cool gear, and you can get Cyclone Wrestling sweatshirts and clothing from Cy's Locker Room.

As far as Pollard and investing in wrestling goes, he has stepped up in recent years. Dresser and Co are some of the highest paid coaches in the nation and there have been some improvements to the wrestling room. I think it will take getting a brand new wrestling facility to really take another step as a program to be at the same level as an Oklahoma State/tOSU/Cornell. There was a new wrestling facility in the initial rendering of the re-design for the space between Hilton and Jack Trice, but with COVID that obviously pushes that plan out a bit. With where the AD is with budgets, I think Pollard is doing what he can. Just sucks that his hands were tied with conference re-alignment in the early 2010s that lost us Cael and then he went cheap on the next hire.

Thanks for the insight on Pollard and how he got Dresser, glad wrestling was included in the plans, gotta just get back on schedule with attendees etc.

Ill have to keep asking around for why we don’t license apparel, would think that’s some really low hanging fruit to help revenues and consumer awareness

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
Thanks for the insight on Pollard and how he got Dresser, glad wrestling was included in the plans, gotta just get back on schedule with attendees etc.

Ill have to keep asking around for why we don’t license apparel, would think that’s some really low hanging fruit to help revenues and consumer awareness
Regarding licensed apparel, I've brought up this same thing many years ago. Believe it or not, there are more options out there today than when Cael was here. However, I agree that it is nowhere close to what should be available. Fan gear is important for showing pride and spreading awareness to the YOUTH! If all they ever see is Hawkeye stuff which is readily available, who do you think they're going to grow up supporting (unless Mom or Dad push them in a better direction)? Write a letter to Pollard and Dresser. I have. It might be the only way they listen.

Reactions: NEIACyclone

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

There’s a really good chance Dresser would know the answer to this and there’s something weird preventing this and/or they are working on it. I would bet he understands it’s importance. I have a relative that sees him from time to time in Ames. I will have him ask Kevin about it and see what he says. (Although buf could probably get you an answer in about 5 min)

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Regarding licensed apparel, I've brought up this same thing many years ago. Believe it or not, there are more options out there today than when Cael was here. However, I agree that it is nowhere close to what should be available. Fan gear is important for showing pride and spreading awareness to the YOUTH! If all they ever see is Hawkeye stuff which is readily available, who do you think they're going to grow up supporting (unless Mom or Dad push them in a better direction)? Write a letter to Pollard and Dresser. I have. It might be the only way they listen.

The licensing process is arduous, but that's a university thing and not an athletics thing.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I believe it has to do with the trademark by Iowa State. I don't think Iowa has the same trademark restrictions with the Hawk, so many more options.

NEIACyclone

Oct 25, 2012

my exact sentiments x100, I’ve called the Athletic Department last year and got “red tape” but I’ll write a letter to both Pollard and Dresser, glad to see others are seeing the disparaging lack of merch and making their voice heard... I’ll check back in if I hear anything.

NEIACyclone

Oct 25, 2012
There’s a really good chance Dresser would know the answer to this and there’s something weird preventing this and/or they are working on it. I would bet he understands it’s importance. I have a relative that sees him from time to time in Ames. I will have him ask Kevin about it and see what he says. (Although buf could probably get you an answer in about 5 min)

let’s get it straight from the Top!

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I thought I was told that the revenue from having the Cy logo trademarked is greater than the additional revenue by not having it trademarked. And I don't have a clue if I am understanding that right or not

Crazyape22

Feb 22, 2019
My husband is a graphic guy & we own our own business. It's nice to make our own apparel when we want. Very limited selection for ISU wrestling gear, its ridiculous.

Stevetasker

Jun 25, 2011
Scheels in Des Moines has had a decent selection of ISU wrestling sweatshirts/shirts the last 2 winters.