Lawn Mower - Reviews

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Does the Toro have a side discharge for mulching instead of bagging the clippings? The ones I've looked at online don't look like they do.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a mower (that isn’t decades old) that didn’t have a side discharge or mulching option on top of bagging. There’s no way the bag isn’t removable turning it into mulch/side discharge.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
It is at attachment that clips on where the bag goes in the rear, so it's more of a rear discharge than a side discharge. When you register your mower online they send it to you for free. Kind of a stupid gimmick to get people to give them their information.

This is correct. Seemed a bit odd to have to request the side discharge feature.

It comes with the option of no bag/mulching, rear bagging, or side discharge (upon request).

One other note. It is very easy to operate. Even has the pull string handle up high so you don't have to lean over. And very easy removal of the bag. The self-pace propel just works. You don't even have to think about it.

Reactions: CloneFanInKC

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
I’m on my third summer with a Greenworks 80v. I’m not sure why anyone with under a quarter acre would bother with gas. I’ve got slopes and 66 years under my belt and the lighter weight and nearly no maintenance is well worth it.

I also have an 80v Greenworks - got it from Costco last year on sale (think it was ~$550) - https://www.costco.com/greenworks-8...al-port-rapid-charger.product.4000188160.html

Quarter acre lot with side hills, and a drainage ditch in front that's a b****. Mine came with one 4ah and one 2.5ah battery - when one drains, the other automatically starts powering without stopping the mower. I finish my yard with the single 4ah, though I don't use the self-propelled much (use it as my workout). The batteries fully charge in less than an hour usually anyway. Self-propel does work great, though, with adjustable speed. Super easy to raise/lower the deck with a single handle. Also nice how it folds up & you can store on it's side with no oil worries.

Reactions: Turn2

Des Moines Clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 24, 2021
I have a Toro Super Recycler and love it. I was between that and a Honda but liked the Toro personal pace system better. I would buy one of those two.
Agreed. My Toros have been great mowers to use and they've lasted very well. I'm on my second in 17 years.

Cyclone711

Oct 27, 2007
Minnesota
Anyone have any recommendations for an entry level lawn tractor/riding mower? Have a 1/2 acre lawn with decent slope from front to back. Currently looking at the cub cadet lt46 or craftsman t2200k. Know they're both MTD and Craftsman definitely isn't what it used to be, but that's my budget.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Does the Toro have a side discharge for mulching instead of bagging the clippings? The ones I've looked at online don't look like they do.
They do but not a traditional one. I have an older one (about 12 years old) that does have the “side door.” The mower (new and old) does “mulch” though and can be used without a chute or bag.

I think if you ask the dealers they will give you a chute attachment that goes where the bag connects, if it doesn’t actually come with the mower.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I have 48” husquarna I’m going to sell. Works well just not quite big enough for our place.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Anyone have any recommendations for an entry level lawn tractor/riding mower? Have a 1/2 acre lawn with decent slope from front to back. Currently looking at the cub cadet lt46 or craftsman t2200k. Know they're both MTD and Craftsman definitely isn't what it used to be, but that's my budget.
Find a good used John Deere 325,345, or an X3 series. They'll last longer than a new MTD even though they're older.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Anything made by MTD is essentially pick your color. As mentioned by @jdcyclone19 I would advise something JD, Toro, or anything not made by MTD in used over a new MTD if you want it to last for more than a handful of seasons.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Thanks all for the great info. After more consideration, I actually decided to pull the trigger on a rider. Figured it wouldn't make sense to buy a quality walk-behind if I'm going to want a rider in 2 or 3 years anyways. Went with a John Deere S120, good not great but definitely enough to get the job done.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
I’m on my third summer with a Greenworks 80v. I’m not sure why anyone with under a quarter acre would bother with gas. I’ve got slopes and 66 years under my belt and the lighter weight and nearly no maintenance is well worth it.
I've got a Greenworks electric push mower as well. This is it's 11th year. It is still working perfectly. I have about a 1/4 acre of lawn to mow with slopes and undulation. Bought it at Lowes. Hasn't broke down yet (fingers crossed)....

Reactions: Turn2

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
I mow my neighbors with his E-Go electric mower. Yes it is lighter than a gas mower but it absolutely sucks. Does not have the RPMs and torque like my Toro does. When it comes to mulching grass and leaves the E-Go just sucks the battery power. Went to mow his yard yesterday and the charge went to 3 bars in less than 10 minutes. Couldn’t even get 1/3rd of his yard done. Usually only takes 3 bars to do his yard. I’m a gas mower man for life!
Least bit surprising, because I know he had similar issues. I like our mower so far.

But was the same way with a weed eater. Had a battery powered for 10 years. Those batteries sucked and would lose juice in 10 minutes. So I bought a gas powered one with the mower. It's just not the same.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloner29

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
So my John Deere S120 rider was delivered today. It was just a drop off, no signature needed. I look it over and everything looks good, the delivery guy did leave the bypass valve control rod pulled out/disengaged from when he pushed it out of truck and onto driveway without pushing it back in, but whatev. Go to start it... won't start. Try again... won't start. This is when we realized the rod hadn't been pushed back in, so we pushed it back in and tried again... won't start. At this point I'm thinking maybe I flooded the engine with all the start attempts with the choke, so I let it sit for half hour. Go back out... won't start. It was getting a spark and trying, it just wasn't kicking over. At this point I'm kind of freaking out, went back out and had a couple neighbor buddies with me... won't start. We take a closer look at everything, and one of them notices a pair of wires, one black and one gray joined by a white plastic plug, that was just dangling. It was near a black plug-in unit, so I see if it plugs in there, and it fits. I go to start it, and it works.

So thankfully he saw that and it worked, it must have come unplugged on the truck maybe when out for delivery, or maybe it was never plugged in. But none of us really knew what the plug in was for, he thought it was maybe for the fuel pump, but none of us really know.

I've been trying to look it up but can't find anything specific. Any small engine guys out there maybe know what that plug in is for?

JEFF420

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 6, 2014
Michigan
So my John Deere S120 rider was delivered today. It was just a drop off, no signature needed. I look it over and everything looks good, the delivery guy did leave the bypass valve control rod pulled out/disengaged from when he pushed it out of truck and onto driveway without pushing it back in, but whatev. Go to start it... won't start. Try again... won't start. This is when we realized the rod hadn't been pushed back in, so we pushed it back in and tried again... won't start. At this point I'm thinking maybe I flooded the engine with all the start attempts with the choke, so I let it sit for half hour. Go back out... won't start. It was getting a spark and trying, it just wasn't kicking over. At this point I'm kind of freaking out, went back out and had a couple neighbor buddies with me... won't start. We take a closer look at everything, and one of them notices a pair of wires, one black and one gray joined by a white plastic plug, that was just dangling. It was near a black plug-in unit, so I see if it plugs in there, and it fits. I go to start it, and it works.

So thankfully he saw that and it worked, it must have come unplugged on the truck maybe when out for delivery, or maybe it was never plugged in. But none of us really knew what the plug in was for, he thought it was maybe for the fuel pump, but none of us really know.

I've been trying to look it up but can't find anything specific. Any small engine guys out there maybe know what that plug in is for?

some sort of safety switch probably

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Drop @isufbcurt a dm

Reactions: isufbcurt

Jdk

Feb 27, 2019
I use an exmark 21 horsepower Kawasaki engine zero turn with 2 gas tanks have had it for quite a few years just in the last month put a new starter on it’s a beast am happy with the way it mows

Reactions: NWICY

cyphoon

Sep 8, 2011
I have also had a Husqvarna for 10+ years and have had no major issues or complaints.

+1 for about anything Husqvarna makes. Our Husq trimmer, chainsaw, and push mower have all performed well on our acreage. The first two take a lot of abuse.

Also a fan of small Honda engines. That is what Husq put in our mower.

H

• Agree
Reactions: legi

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Mine is on it's last legs, I kinda want to go battery powered, but scared.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron