Lawn Mower - Reviews

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Need to get a new self-propelled walk behind lawn mower, my old Craftsman has bit the dust. Am looking into Cub Cadet, Troy-Built, DeWalt, a few others but am wondering if there are any positive reviews or brands to avoid based on personal experiences? TIA

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Normally I would suggest Toro but the latest generation has not so great reviews. Honda has stopped making mowers but there are still some new ones out there - That may be your best bet currently.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I have a Toro Super Recycler and love it. I was between that and a Honda but liked the Toro personal pace system better. I would buy one of those two.

I just got a Toro Super Recycler and am very pleased so far. Got it at the Ames Outdoor Supply, so I will get service from the same place that made the sale.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
No real complaints from our Troy-Bilt we bought 5 or so years ago. No complaints about the Husqvarna we had before that other than the oil dipstick popping off and getting chopped up by the mower blade.

My main suggestion is to only buy one from a place that also services them. If you need to have any warranty work done from a big box store, they will make you send it to a random warehouse service center in the US. If they decide it's not warranty work, you're on the hook for the shipping and repairs.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
This honestly shocks me.

Used about $300 worth of "11% off" money about 8 years ago. Couldn't tell you the name of it even now. I put Mobil 1 in before it's first mow and haven't done anything but sharpen the blade since. It still starts first pull after sitting winters.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I have a Husqvarna for the last decade or so, give it an easy 7 out of 9 stars.

ghyland7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2012
I bought one of the EGO electric self propelled mower. Only had it two summers but it’s been great so far. I couldn’t talk about the longevity, but it’s surprisingly convenient and easy. It’s also a lot lighter than the gas mowers I’ve used in the past.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Used about $300 worth of "11% off" money about 8 years ago. Couldn't tell you the name of it even now. I put Mobil 1 in before it's first mow and haven't done anything but sharpen the blade since. It still starts first pull after sitting winters.
About the same here.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I bought one of the EGO electric self propelled mower. Only had it two summers but it’s been great so far. I couldn’t talk about the longevity, but it’s surprisingly convenient and easy. It’s also a lot lighter than the gas mowers I’ve used in the past.
My SiL has one of those and I've used it on her yard, works well. Not sure it'd be the best for me, my lot is a little over 1/3 of an acre with some decent slopes on both sides of the house, not sure if it'd get everything done in one charge or how well it would handle the hills.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Have a Toro SR4 super recycler. Oil changes, air filters, and blade sharpening is all its ever needed in 13 years. You can buy a good used one on marketplace for $100-$250, I wouldn't hesitate to spend that on a good used one to save $400 on a super recycler.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
My SiL has one of those and I've used it on her yard, works well. Not sure it'd be the best for me, my lot is a little over 1/3 of an acre with some decent slopes on both sides of the house, not sure if it'd get everything done in one charge or how well it would handle the hills.
Borrow the SILs for a mow and find out?

I have a Honda, it works great. But if I was buying one today, I would get he Ego, they are so quite, my neighbor has no issues with his, as a slope in the front of the house and rear, probably 1/4 acre lot. He has the snowblower too.

Reactions: Gonzo

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
1/4 acre walk out, my EGO mower finishes the job on a single charge. It came with a 7.5 amp/hr battery. I also have a 10 amp/hr battery I bought when I bought the 2-stage EGO snowblower. That, clearly, is more than enough for the job. I don't use the self-prop because a) the mower is so light I don't need it and b) it sounds like a ******* powerwheel

• Haha
Reactions: BACyclone and Turn2

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Need to get a new self-propelled walk behind lawn mower, my old Craftsman has bit the dust. Am looking into Cub Cadet, Troy-Built, DeWalt, a few others but am wondering if there are any positive reviews or brands to avoid based on personal experiences? TIA
If you were asking about a zero turn rider, I'd have a more definitive answer for you. My best advice is buy one from people that also service what they sell. It's damned hard to find a small engine repair shop anywhere nowadays in case something goes wrong.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
If you were asking about a zero turn rider, I'd have a more definitive answer for you. My best advice is buy one from people that also service what they sell. It's damned hard to find a small engine repair shop anywhere nowadays in case something goes wrong.
I'll get there eventually but still like getting a little bit of exercise out of mowing.

Reactions: mfl3cy

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
1/4 acre walk out, my EGO mower finishes the job on a single charge. It came with a 7.5 amp/hr battery. I also have a 10 amp/hr battery I bought when I bought the 2-stage EGO snowblower. That, clearly, is more than enough for the job. I don't use the self-prop because a) the mower is so light I don't need it and b) it sounds like a ******* powerwheel
I've got almost the exact same setup except I have the single stage snowblower. Had it for 8 years now. Mower works like a champ. I use the 10 amp battery on my quarter acre lot and it uses less than half the battery, but like you I don't use the self-propelled much so that will save some battery. I don't know why it couldn't do anything a gas self-prop could do. Up front cost will be more but no gas or oil and basically only maintenance is the blade makes it totally worth it IMO. I will never own a gas mower again.

• Agree
Reactions: Bader

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron