Lasik vision correction

2Xclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Had mine done in December and they are touching up my right eye in a week. They did the mono vision thing, but I can see distance fine in the “reading” eye. The distance eye is just a little off, the reason for a touch up. I do have to use +1 readers, but knew that was possible since I’m over 50. Best money I’ve spent.

Reactions: deadeyededric

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I had a consult with Lasik Plus and they told me that it would be $3,500 for both eyes. I am a little bummed because I thought that they would be cheaper than that. Right now, it isn't in my budget. I guess I will have to save up a bit first.

They have financing available

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Lasikvisioninstitute.com is where I did mine. Cheaper.

Or put money in an HSA and it’s pre-tax to knock another 33% off.

I used funds from a HSA from my previous job that I was holding on to for a few years. Job now does has great insurance that is not a hdhp, so figured might as well use it up.

Reactions: BCClone

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Question for those who have gotten the procedure. I had previously understood that Lasik only corrects one or the other, as in, you can correct for far-sightedness OR near-sightedness, but not both. Is this true? I'm at that point where I probably need progressive lenses if I were to get glasses. But if Lasik can correct my vision I'd prefer to go that route.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Question for those who have gotten the procedure. I had previously understood that Lasik only corrects one or the other, as in, you can correct for far-sightedness OR near-sightedness, but not both. Is this true? I'm at that point where I probably need progressive lenses if I were to get glasses. But if Lasik can correct my vision I'd prefer to go that route.
Yes, Lasik can only correct nearsightedness or farsightedness.

Now there is a procedure called monovision where they correct one eye for nearsightedness and the other for farsightedness. They say your brain will figure it out and know which eye to use.
I had that done and absolutely hated it. They can reverse the eye that sees close but can not reverse the eye that sees far away but it has to be 4 or 5 months later.

My eyes are corrected so one is a little better than the other which allows me to read fairly well without the use of cheaters.

I keep a pair of bifocals in my car as I wear them when I drive because they make everything so sharp and if I need to read a map on the phone.

I have had Lasik for 11 years and would never want to go back to full time glasses or contacts

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Maybe this has been mentioned in this thread but I don't want to read through it to look. For anyone considering Lasik, Wolf Eye Clinic offers a 20% discount, about $900 on average, for Iowa Farm Bureau members. Annual dues for the membership are $55 or less, so if you are seriously considering Lasik, I would certainly consider signing up for the Farm Bureau even if just for one year just to get the discount. This discount applies to everything, from the initial consultation through two years following the surgery for follow-up appointments and any necessary enhancements.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I am having a consult with Wolfe Eye Clinic on Monday for Lasik. I have heard some people have Lasik and some have PRK instead depending on the thickness of the cornea. Has anyone had any experience with PRK or Lasik that they are willing to share? I am finally able to do it but if I have to do PRK the recovery time concerns me a bit.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I am having a consult with Wolfe Eye Clinic on Monday for Lasik. I have heard some people have Lasik and some have PRK instead depending on the thickness of the cornea. Has anyone had any experience with PRK or Lasik that they are willing to share? I am finally able to do it but if I have to do PRK the recovery time concerns me a bit.
Had lasik 20 years ago. No glasses yet.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

I feel like they tell you which one you are going to get? Like it’s not a choice?

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I feel like they tell you which one you are going to get? Like it’s not a choice?
I have heard you need PRK if you have a thin cornea, but really know nothing about PRK. I know both have been around for a long time, but never known anyone that had PRK.

PineClone

Jul 16, 2008
I had Lasik about 18 years ago. Best...money....ever....spent. My vision was 20/200 before the surgery. After so many years of glasses and contact lenses, having 20/20 vision is something I still appreciate on a regular basis.

The first time I went for Lasik was several years prior to that, and they turned me away because the combination of a large pupil and thin corneas would require them to have to remove more tissue. They were worried about not having enough remaining tissue to make a correction. They said they would recommend PRK or wo wait a while.

Several years later the technology had advanced enough that they felt like Lasik was doable. However, I was still borderline so they actually did give me a choice between Lasik and PRK. I went for the Lasik and have had perfect vision ever since. No corrections needed, no problems with halos when driving at night. Probably unrelated, but at 54 I'm still not close to needing reading glasses.

Reactions: Junejax

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Got mine done at Wolfe a few months ago.

So far no issues. Glare from lights was iffy for a few days/maybe weeks but is much better now.

Very happy with my decision thus far.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I had PRK in 2007. It worked great. It actually is lower risk for infection than the regular lasik. Both procedures are fantastic, however.
So, the recovery time is longer for PRK. The 1st few days your vision will be blurry. That's only because the cells on the surface of your eyes are growing and healing. Your vision gets markedly better in the next few weeks. After about 6-8 weeks, the eyes are totally perfect as I recall. Feel free to PM me if you want more details of my experience. I have zero regrets... it's been awesome ever since!

Are you doing both eyes at the same time?

DowntownCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Ankeny
I consulted with Wolfe Clinic but they wouldn’t do LASIK or PRK on me at the time due to having a thin cornea. Knowing that the thin cornea put me at risk of developing Keratoconus I started researching about that. Ended up at Minnesota Eye Consultants in Minneapolis to be a part of a research study on corneal cross linking. They checked me out and said they didn’t think i needed the procedure and offered to do a PRK on me… nearly 10 years later I have better than 20/15 vision. It was the best thing I ever did for myself. Even if I’d had the option of LASIK I would choose a PRK, recovery is longer but if you are active it’s considered a better route. The recovery isn’t bad at all as long as you use enough eye drops… I was at 20/20 vision the following day, and it steadily got better over the next 3 months.

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
I wouldn't take my enemy into Wolfe. They miss diagnosed me and fortunately I went and got a second opinion. I found out that I was a terrible candidate for Lasik and ended up going a better route for me. BTW, my Dr. was one of the main Dr's not some Newby. I also had a friend get staph infection from one of their offices. I know they are popular, however, I suggest getting a second opinion no matter what you do...do some research as I am glad I did. Also, people talking about best price, ignore....its your fricking eyes.

My 2 cents and hope all works out.