Lanning

MayorsCabinet

Dec 5, 2013
The quarterback musical chairs thing needs to stop. Maybe Joel isn't the guy. Maybe Park isn't the guy. Maybe Nolland isn't the guy. Either way, we can't just keep swapping quarterbacks when they make a mistake. This is Lanning's first season as THE guy. All I ask is that we wait a few games before we run him over with the team bus and leave him for dead. Seem like a logical thing to do or is it already full on meltdown mode?

• Agree
Reactions: State2015

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
Can't remember, did we ever try a qb draw last night?

acody

Nov 25, 2006
Uni's a tough team. Just have to wonder what's changed from last year.

Last year the UNI punter was so bad that he changed field position often, so drastically that we had a major advantage. Most low level high school punters could have done much better.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Maybe Matt should take control of play calling. Sometimes the younger/newer guys like to get cute and outsmart themselves with play calling.

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
A good line can make an average QB look great. Same for a RB. We would have won if we had a Big 12 O-line. We lost arguably our best lineman for the season and then his replacement got suspended for a game. How about we open some holes so we don't have to rely on passing to win the game. It's all won in the trenches.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I have no doubt that the people calling for him to be benched are the same ones that complained about the musical chairs we saw at quarterback the last few years.
I'm not one calling on Lanning to be benched but his decision making has to improve. Just really bummed about him putting the ball up for grabs when we had the one point lead late.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
He had some nice throws but there wasn't anything special. I think that was more the receivers.

Does your head smell funny when you wear your butttt as a hat? Go back and re-watch his completions. I challenge you. Receivers made great catches but they made great catches because the friggin' BALL WAS THERE.

I either ferted or you are seeping through my computer because I stooped down to engage your post.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I think tonight showed that he doesn't have it mentally to be the QB. He made some great throws but also some of the most boneheaded plays too.

The last interception sealed it for me. There is absolutely no excuse for that one.

ya, he had a ton of mistakes and misreads. He was awful with the zone read, basically had 4 TOs if you count the Safety that he had chance to avoid. I had high hopes for him, but he is Steele Jantz 2.0. Make a few great plays, but just doesn't understand that there are times when you have to settle for getting what you can and live for another shot at it.

• Agree
Reactions: Bryce7

atlantacyclone

Sep 29, 2007
Fontvieille Monaco
I like Lanning... but he looks great at some points but simply makes too many errors. I don't see the harm in giving Park a chance to prove himself in a game.

Bryce7

May 4, 2016
The quarterback musical chairs thing needs to stop. Maybe Joel isn't the guy. Maybe Park isn't the guy. Maybe Nolland isn't the guy. Either way, we can't just keep swapping quarterbacks when they make a mistake. This is Lanning's first season as THE guy. All I ask is that we wait a few games before we run him over with the team bus and leave him for dead. Seem like a logical thing to do or is it already full on meltdown mode?
Whn was the last time you recall that we had a qb who made five major mistakes in one game?

only4cy

Nov 21, 2006
Lanning should not be allowed to change plays at the line of scrimmage, until he shows better ability to read defenses. Right now, it's almost a certainty that bad things will happen.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
So say Park does get in the game at some point. His first pass attempt is picked off. Who plays quarterback after that? We gonna toss Zeb Nolland out there on one leg? Or does 1 of the 2 remaining walk-on QBs get in the game? Maybe we can bring back Seneca or Sage? You can't bench a guy for throwing an interception in the first game. Maybe if we're 4 or 5 games in and haven't seen progress you can all lose your minds, but one game (final 5 minutes) doesn't define a guys career.

If there's no progress made by the end of the San Jose game, sure give Park some meaningful snaps. But before then is too soon imo. A guy can't get any confidence when so-called "fans" want him benched after a bad final 5 minutes of the 1st game.
If we have Not Won a Game after we play San Jose State it will be time for Joel Lanning to ride the pines....
College Football is only about winning ............

Bryce7

May 4, 2016
Relax, Lanning still hasn't played that much ball. He's figuring it out. I haven't seen anyone throw the ball that well for ISU in a while. That fade to Lazard was money. The guy will be a beast by next year, yall just wait.
He has so far to go as a passer it may take all year to be good. He is a better runner.

• Disagree
Reactions: MayorsCabinet

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Lanning should not be allowed to change plays at the line of scrimmage, until he shows better ability to read defenses. Right now, it's almost a certainty that bad things will happen.
Whoever called that pass play on 2nd and 4 with like 4 minutes in the game that got intercepted should be shunned.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Whoever called that pass play on 2nd and 4 with like 4 minutes in the game that got intercepted should be shunned.
I wasn't a big fan of it but I didn't think it was the worst call. We struggled to run so I can understand some pass plays. That said the decision making on it was awful.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron