KU reportedly hiring Buffalo's Leipold (not Monken)

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Point of order - it is not "HIS" fanbase, and they are not "HIS" players. Rando has frequently stated in the past that he is neither a KU alum or a KU fan in general. He is strictly a KU MBB fan and nothing else.

Carry on

He may not be but I am seeing more energy flow from him on this thread than from the entire rest of the KU football fanbase.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Point of order - it is not "HIS" fanbase, and they are not "HIS" players. Rando has frequently stated in the past that he is neither a KU alum or a KU fan in general. He is strictly a KU MBB fan and nothing else.

Carry on
False. I just don't personally attend college football games in person or watch them on TV; good teams included. It's a 3-4 hour drive to Lawrence depending on if I have to stop in KC to pick up family and the 9-10 times a year I make the drive down and back for basketball games maxes out my time budget spend on traveling for fandom.

I find college football to be an inferior football product and only have so many weekend hours available to sit around watching football. That time goes to the Chiefs. Maybe if KU was watchable I'd turn them on TV but I have things that need to get done over the weekend. I'm not a masochist.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
False. I just don't personally attend college football games in person or watch them on TV; good teams included. It's a 3-4 hour drive to Lawrence depending on if I have to stop in KC to pick up family and the 9-10 times a year I make the drive down and back for basketball games maxes out my time budget spend on traveling for fandom.

I find college football to be an inferior football product and only have so many weekend hours available to sit around watching football. That time goes to the Chiefs. Maybe if KU was watchable I'd turn them on TV but I have things that need to get done over the weekend. I'm not a masochist.
Eh...you can do better than this.

Keep trying.

Maybe someone will believe you.

Reactions: JP4CY

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
He may not be but I am seeing more energy flow from him on this thread than from the entire rest of the KU football fanbase.
I just think it's silly to say "sorry, KU will always suck. It cannot be any different." It's a fundamentally stupid argument. Will Kansas ever be a consistent national power? No, I doubt it. But it's silly to think they cannot get to where KSU and ISU are today. Hire the right person that wants to be there and don't make a mess of your scholarship counts and you get better recruits. Get better recruits and you win more games. Win more games and attendance increases.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames

"The Miles hire produced a 74 percent spike in attendance at KU’s seven home games, a jump from 19,424 fans per game in 2018 to 33,875 last fall — good enough to Kansas the biggest gainer according to the NCAA’s 2019 attendance figures.

After failing to top 30,000 fans once in 2019 — KU peaked with 28,000 and change to see Rutgers on Sept. 15, but failed to crack 20,000 once in four Big 12 home games — Kansas welcomed Miles with a crowd of 32,611 to see a 24-17 win over Indiana State on Aug. 31, then drew 33,493 for a 12-7 loss to Coastal Carolina a week later. Kansas fell below 30,000 only once in seven home dates — 22,531 came to see Baylor club the Jayhawks 61-6 on Nov. 30 — but nearly 36,000 came to see a 29-24 loss to West Virginia, and 34,402 witnessed a 45-20 loss to Oklahoma on Oct. 5."

Like I said, if people are excited about what they are seeing, they will attend the games. And if the product improves, they will continue to attend the games and attendance will continue to grow. This just isn't that complicated, folks.

Attendance was not based on the product, but rather the hope that came with a big name coach. The product in 2019 or 2020 wasn't any better than any of the past 10 years. With Covid, we'll never know what attendance last year could have been. And with Miles now gone, we'll never get to see the regression back to the mean. But maybe beer and wine sales will prop things up for a while. LOL

• Agree
Reactions: Lyon309Cy

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Eh...you can do better than this.

Keep trying.

Maybe someone will believe you.
Eh, OK. That's a you issue, not a me issue.

College football is boring to me. Five seconds of action followed by a multi minute break between nearly every play. I am too hyperactive to sit there waiting for something interesting. The game action/total time ratio of basketball is what I love about the sport the most.

But it would be fun to see Kansas get better and be a bowl caliber team again. More athletic department funds can only help the sport I like to watch.

• Disagree
Reactions: JP4CY

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
I just think it's silly to say "sorry, KU will always suck. It cannot be any different." It's a fundamentally stupid argument. Will Kansas ever be a consistent national power? No, I doubt it. But it's silly to think they cannot get to where KSU and ISU are today. Hire the right person that wants to be there and don't make a mess of your scholarship counts and you get better recruits. Get better recruits and you win more games. Win more games and attendance increases.

I agree completely - you guys have had a significant taste of success not so long ago - that is my point - it would seem a lot easier for KU fanbase to stay invested. I don't understand why you need to see proof it can be better.

On the other hand, you can't fault an ISU fan, someone who has bled Cardinal and Gold for say - 50+ years -if they were thinking ISU will never get to a successful level (before CMC). Yet it is the ISU fanbase that has faith and the KU fanbase that needs the proof.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Psst. I hate to break it to you, but “where ISU is today” is on the verge of being onsistent national power”.

We all just happen to realize that KU football has a huge hole to dig out of. Where ISU was about...1994, minus a decent stadium to build around.

Good luck with that.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Eh, OK. That's a you issue, not a me issue.

College football is boring to me. Five seconds of action followed by a multi minute break between nearly every play. I am too hyperactive to sit there waiting for something interesting. The game action/total time ratio of basketball is what I love about the sport the most.

But it would be fun to see Kansas get better and be a bowl caliber team again. More athletic department funds can only help the sport I like to watch.
Lol a KU fan saying FB is boring.... uhm.... might just be the product your watching bud.

• Friendly
  • Love
Reactions: JP4CY and Aclone

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
My take-a-ways:
Kansas removed the track from their football stadium? Who knew
Kansas is hiring the HC from Buffalo, haven't we seen this before?
Kansas and Kansas State both hired basketball coaches that were previously at Illinois. Are they performing the same?

The "Turner Gill didn't work out so this won't either" shtick is lame.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Psst. I hate to break it to you, but “where ISU is today” is on the verge of being onsistent national power”.

We all just happen to realize that KU football has a huge hole to dig out of. Where ISU was about...1994, minus a decent stadium to build around.

Good luck with that.
Well, all they can do is try, which is what they seem to be doing.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Lol a KU fan saying FB is boring.... uhm.... might just be the product your watching bud.
Nope, I have tried to watch some of the big matchups in the sport over the years and inevitably find myself wandering out of the room towards something more interesting. I haven't made it through a full college football game outside fo Husker games, where my wife has invited people over to watch, in years. It's just not for me personally. To each their own.

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
Kansas and Kansas State both hired basketball coaches that were previously at Illinois. Are they performing the same?

Someone's touchy, just observations, honestly I wasn't sure but yep, Turner Gill, that's his name.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
I agree completely - you guys have had a significant taste of success not so long ago - that is my point - it would seem a lot easier for KU fanbase to stay invested. I don't understand why you need to see proof it can be better.

On the other hand, you can't fault an ISU fan, someone who has bled Cardinal and Gold for say - 50+ years -if they were thinking ISU will never get to a successful level (before CMC). Yet it is the ISU fanbase that has faith and the KU fanbase that needs the proof.
Based on the feedback I hear from KU fans that do go to games, the general consensus is that they are not going to allow the administration to think that their bungling of HC hires and the garbage product put on the filed is acceptable. Not should they.

Hats off to any ISU fan who kept going to games when they stunk. Good for them.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Nope, I have tried to watch some of the big matchups in the sport over the years and inevitably find myself wandering out of the room towards something more interesting. I haven't made it through a full college football game outside fo Husker games, where my wife has invited people over to watch, in years. It's just not for me personally. To each their own.
Soooo you don’t watch college football but yet can talk in absolutes about it? What in the world.

Reactions: LincolnSwinger

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010

Kansas State doesn't have a multi billion dollar shoe company buying their team for them. I mean, from a coaching stand point, I'd say Bruce Webber has actually accomplished more being that he actually had to do literally anything.

Reactions: surly

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Well, all they can do is try, which is what they seem to be doing.
I don't blame you skipping KU football games on saturdays. They truly are an unwatchable mess. I have never been to Lawrence before to see the stadium or facilities. I get the impression KU has a LONG way to go.

I'm sure KU fans are more curious who ADIDAS is bringing next to Self's office.