Kansas to Big 10?

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Man you are losing this so badly you keep moving the goal posts. Not a single person currently in this thread is saying we are this huge value to anyone out there that is currently a P5 conference when it comes to the thing that matters, money. What people are pointing out at this juncture is the Big Ten's gamble on Maryland and more specifically, Rutgers not paying off in the long run. We know we are small population and all of that. But when it comes to true value to a conference from a competitive and growth (like a stock) ISU laps Rutgers all day. Stick ISU or Oklahoma State or almost any of the remaining Big 12 schools in a metro area like Rutgers and the Big Ten fans and head honchos would be drooling because they would get the market plus actual good athletic programs that people would go out of their way to pay and watch.
So when Rutgers starts winning again with their top 15 recruiting classes and Schiano packs the place every week Rutgers is still going to be a bad choice? Can you look at anything past the last 2 years? Rutgers is historically a better program than Iowa State. The long run isn't even here they have only been in the league for 10 ******* years. You keep talking about ISU like we are a perennial football power. You act like the standings now are going to be the same for the next 30 years. Maybe Maryland hires a good football coach and start winning and Penn State starts losing? Who knows ? You can't sit there and say programs suck, have always sucked, and have no chance of ever being good. Especially when you are an Iowa State fan.

Last edited:

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Why is everyone so obsessed with subscription streaming services? Do you really think that’s the future for the sport? Major broadcast networks are craving for content that people actually tune into - I can’t imagine a scenario where Saturday afternoon ABC is playing re-runs of the bachelor while a top 10 football match up is on a streaming service???

Reactions: Primetime26

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
So when Rutgers starts winning again with their top 15 recruiting classes and Schiano packs the place every week Rutgers is still going to be a bad choice? Can you look at anything past the last 2 years? Rutgers is historically a better program than Iowa State. The long run isn't even here they have only been in the league for 10 ******* years. You keep talking about ISU like we are a perennial football power. You act like the standings now are going to be the same for the next 30 years. Maybe Maryland hires a good football coach and start winning and Penn State starts losing? Who knows. You can't sit there and say programs suck, have always sucked, and have no chance of ever being good. Especially when you are an Iowa State fan.
Again moving goal posts. You are a pro at this. ISU is historically one of the worst D1 football programs. In any walk of life, it's a gamble and investment. Right now over the past decade (and definitely last 5-6 years) ISU is trending up and showing serious promise in football. Even though our men's bball is trash right now, we are miles ahead historically over Rutgers who doesn't even know what the NCAA Tournament is.

And of course Rutgers could turn it around and Maryland and what have you. Not a single program is immune to a bad coaching hire or great coaching hire turning it around. But we currently have that young guy who just might stick this out for quite some time in Campbell. And if ISU is a stepping-stone job, well Rutgers is right there too. Schiano is all they have had and he bolted to the NFL. They haven't recovered since, and who's to say the next guy who shows any success there doesn't do the same?

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Why is everyone so obsessed with subscription streaming services? Do you really think that’s the future for the sport? Major broadcast networks are craving for content that people actually tune into - I can’t imagine a scenario where Saturday afternoon ABC is playing re-runs of the bachelor while a top 10 football match up is on a streaming service???
These cable networks may not have a choice. Just look at the cable sub decline in the last 5 years alone. And all it takes is one giant like Amazon or Apple to get into the game and it's over. This has been broken down ad nauseum, and every year there is more chatter one or both are really going to get into the game. ESPN, Fox, Disney, etc. won't have a choice because they won't be able to match any bid one of those big dogs can throw out.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Again moving goal posts. You are a pro at this. ISU is historically one of the worst D1 football programs. In any walk of life, it's a gamble and investment. Right now over the past decade (and definitely last 5-6 years) ISU is trending up and showing serious promise in football. Even though our men's bball is trash right now, we are miles ahead historically over Rutgers who doesn't even know what the NCAA Tournament is.

And of course Rutgers could turn it around and Maryland and what have you. Not a single program is immune to a bad coaching hire or great coaching hire turning it around. But we currently have that young guy who just might stick this out for quite some time in Campbell. And if ISU is a stepping-stone job, well Rutgers is right there too. Schiano is all they have had and he bolted to the NFL. They haven't recovered since, and who's to say the next guy who shows any success there doesn't do the same?
Agreed. And the fact that we come from a state that only has 3 million people is a problem for us. We could be 2-10 every year but if Des Moines had 5 million people we'd be in the Big 10.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
A quick look at the tv ratings for last year when everyone was locked inside (especially NYC) due to the pandemic and Rutgers' highest game appears to be just over 600k viewers for Nebraska and the Michigan game. Wow, with all of those Rutgers "fans" at home with nothing to do they could watch their team play? Nebraska and Michigan likely carried most of those numbers. Meanwhile the middle of nowhere game between ISU and WVU drew 1.22 Million, ISU/TTU drew 1.38 Million, ISU/OKST drew 2.81 Million and even ISU/KSU drew 1.98 Million. But damn nobody wants to watch these middle of nowhere flyover schools play football. Oops.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Agreed. And the fact that we come from a state that only has 3 million people is a problem for us. We could be 2-10 every year but if Des Moines had 5 million people we'd be in the Big 10.
Bingo! We all know the whole market and tv dollars is the only thing currently holding ISU back. That and location because the Big Ten already owns the area ISU is in. The ISU fan base is simply pointing out how short-sighted things are when it's only about the money. And make no mistake, it is ONLY about the money. But if a conference actually gave a crap about things like current and future outlook of an athletic department/football program, fanbase, academics of a school and all of the other positives it brings, ISU and KU both bring a lot to the table. More so than schools like Rutgers, Wake Forest, Vanderbilt, etc. when it comes to athletics/football who just happened to be grandfathered in or ONLY got in because of their location to get more money. Those are some dang good academic schools though, so I will give them that.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Bingo! We all know the whole market and tv dollars is the only thing currently holding ISU back. That and location because the Big Ten already owns the area ISU is in. The ISU fan base is simply pointing out how short-sighted things are when it's only about the money. And make no mistake, it is ONLY about the money. But if a conference actually gave a crap about things like current and future outlook of an athletic department/football program, fanbase, academics of a school and all of the other positives it brings, ISU and KU both bring a lot to the table. More so than schools like Rutgers, Wake Forest, Vanderbilt, etc. when it comes to athletics/football who just happened to be grandfathered in or ONLY got in because of their location to get more money. Those are some dang good academic schools though, so I will give them that.
Vanderbilt would be an awesome school for any conference outside of the SEC to grab. Top notch academics, wealthy alumni, Nashville market, and pretty decent sports top to bottom. I think their FB team would do okay if they weren't playing against the SEC big dogs. It makes it easier for schools that play in conference against them to recruit Tennessee too.

AppleCornCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2020
The “ISU is a small market team” thing is something that currently holds us back. The way things are now, it’s about either:

1. Having teams in large markets so that your conference’s TV network can be on basic cable and bring in boatloads of money by charging a large fee per subscriber, or

2. Having teams that are traditional powers that will likely draw a lot of viewers for matchups on network TV or ESPN.

The big issue that’s going to wreck the current model is the death of cable and the rise of streaming. Sure, YouTube TV carries all those conference networks on basic packages now, but as the cost of streaming services approach those of cable and non-sports viewership continues to trend away from 24/7 channels and towards on-demand, the current model simply isn’t going to be sustainable.

That’s where how many fans you have and how passionate they are is really going to make a difference. Conferences are going to benefit from having teams whose fans are willing to subscribe to a service in order to watch games.

In spite of their market size and how many fans they supposedly have, Maryland and Rutgers each average 15,000 fewer fans at games than Iowa State. That means ISU has roughly 38% higher attendance than those schools. If you assume there’s a positive correlation between the number of fans who are willing to pay to go to a game and the number of fans who are willing to buy a subscription to a service in order to watch their team’s games, which is a pretty safe assumption, ISU is going to be far more valuable for the TV contract of a conference than either of those schools.

Last edited:

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Reactions: STLISU

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Either way. Even if the entire state of Iowa only cheered for 1 team it is a state that has 3 million people. That's essentially the population of Greater St. Louis.
You keep marching to the same old drum. The future isn't where you think it is. Even the "Enterprise" was built in Iowa.

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to

I also question this.... live sports are literally the last live thing people watch on broadcast TV.

So is the answer that streaming services are so rich that they will pay crazy amounts of $$ to finally kill off broadcast/cable tv?

i dont know.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I also question this.... live sports are literally the last live thing people watch on broadcast TV.

So is the answer that streaming services are so rich that they will pay crazy amounts of $$ to finally kill off broadcast/cable tv?

i dont know.
Streaming services are an accurate measurement of the success of a product. The additional 'marketing' by the conference and the national distribution of that product is the crème. Iowa State's bowl numbers were no fluke. The product was good, despite Oregon backing into the game. That game is the exact model I've been touting. Again, the streaming numbers set up the potential for investing in marketing, which in turn has the returns they're looking for.

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
Streaming services are an accurate measurement of the success of a product. The additional 'marketing' by the conference and the national distribution of that product is the crème. Iowa State's bowl numbers were no fluke. The product was good, despite Oregon backing into the game. That game is the exact model I've been touting. Again, the streaming numbers set up the potential for investing in marketing, which in turn has the returns they're looking for.

ok so do streaming services think they will gain subs by doing this? everyone i know in iowa already has netflix or prime.

also one of the benefits of streaming is the lack of ads... so will these services start including ads in the broadcast? i mean the game has those breaks built in?

so people will be paying x amount per month and also will get ads vs. just watching over the air.

its all interesting.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
ok so do streaming services think they will gain subs by doing this? everyone i know in iowa already has netflix or prime. If you've followed my posts, you can see I'm heavily in favor of courting Amazon as the distribution. That aside, 'yes' those 'numbers' can be used to sell a broader audience.

also one of the benefits of streaming is the lack of ads... so will these services start including ads in the broadcast? i mean the game has those breaks built in? Technically, in-stadium advertising is seen by all viewers. So there are ads. Ads are one of those things where if they don't impact the 'moment', they're not all that disgruntled. Yes, subtle advertising. Advertising will always seek their way back in. But the future of advertising is 'targeted' and that is best achieved with 'synchronous' viewing (ie advertiser knows who is watching the device).

so people will be paying x amount per month and also will get ads vs. just watching over the air. Yes. Even DVDs who once had no advertising now litter you with advertising. But, the advertising is focused based on the product which was purchased. Expect the same.

its all interesting. Boy have you hit the nail on the head. In the end I may be wrong, but I've had a pretty darned good track history as a visionary. My only problem this time is: I may have blinders on because of my passion. We will see.
Great questions which I answered inline.

Reactions: Dr.bannedman

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
A quick look at the tv ratings for last year when everyone was locked inside (especially NYC) due to the pandemic and Rutgers' highest game appears to be just over 600k viewers for Nebraska and the Michigan game. Wow, with all of those Rutgers "fans" at home with nothing to do they could watch their team play? Nebraska and Michigan likely carried most of those numbers. Meanwhile the middle of nowhere game between ISU and WVU drew 1.22 Million, ISU/TTU drew 1.38 Million, ISU/OKST drew 2.81 Million and even ISU/KSU drew 1.98 Million. But damn nobody wants to watch these middle of nowhere flyover schools play football. Oops.

I have non ISU friends across the country that love to watch ISU on tv

Thorongil Clone

Gone to Numenor
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2021
Actual data is meaningless. @mattyheiden the Hok troll says he lived on the East coast, so he can make broad pronouncements of "fact" that outweigh actual data. But don't worry, he'll buy you a beer in Vegas. :mccaffery:

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

Nope.