Kade Blume

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigerguy_

Sep 26, 2020
To me and my simple mind, if the kid is charged with a felony but has not had his day in court, I can go 50-50 on him competing.

But this kid cut a deal to get it out of adult court and plead guilty to the charges. He’s got to sit out at least this season and show he can toe the line to come back next season at the very least.

Praying for the child and family that had this crime done to them

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
To me and my simple mind, if the kid is charged with a felony but has not had his day in court, I can go 50-50 on him competing.

But this kid cut a deal to get it out of adult court and plead guilty to the charges. He’s got to sit out at least this season and show he can toe the line to come back next season at the very least.

Praying for the child and family that had this crime done to them

Bet you would feel different if it was your kid. The kid who had this done to him had to transfer out of the district.

Tigerguy_

Sep 26, 2020
Bet you would feel different if it was your kid. The kid who had this done to him had to transfer out of the district.
In that case I would feel completely different.

But as an uninformed party to this I’m still good with innocence until proven guilty. But now that he’s pled guilty, eff him .

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
A similar situation but this happened on school property

I live in Ankeny and I'm appalled to see this.

I know people bristle at this, but IMO the family of the kid in this video should be suing the school and the kid who has been bullying him. This has been an ongoing issue and clearly the school knows about it and hasn't been able to do anything to curtail it.

Sounds like the parents of the victim of Blume had to move out of the community, which is no small expense. They should be suing the the school and the Blume family.

People often talk about how powerless schools are in these situations. I don't think just hoping parents make better choices is going to change anything. Money talks. If schools are constantly getting sued and seeing their own insurance costs and the like go way up, they are going to have to make changes. Unfortunately in many of these cases that's the only way to hope for change.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
If I was an opposing coach I would drop Roland Story from my duel meet schedule. Would also not compete in any regular season multi-team tournament that Roland Story participates in.

Tough to be a good wrestler if you don't get match experience.

IHSAA can't do anything about it apparently. This is from a friend that has emailed them constantly.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
It’s ridiculous that kids can get suspended from sports for underage drinking, chewing tobacco, smoking and going to parties where alcohol involved. However, you cant get kicked off or suspended for sexual assault or assault in general? This is crap. The coach wants to win and that is what it boils down to. Everyone that is on the side of this kid wrestling are just sick people

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012

I know people bristle at this, but IMO the family of the kid in this video should be suing the school and the kid who has been bullying him. This has been an ongoing issue and clearly the school knows about it and hasn't been able to do anything to curtail it.

Sounds like the parents of the victim of Blume had to move out of the community, which is no small expense. They should be suing the the school and the Blume family.

People often talk about how powerless schools are in these situations. I don't think just hoping parents make better choices is going to change anything. Money talks. If schools are constantly getting sued and seeing their own insurance costs and the like go way up, they are going to have to make changes. Unfortunately in many of these cases that's the only way to hope for change.
The boy attempted suicide last March and still is enduring this cruelty. Get him out of that school.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
If I was an opposing coach I would drop Roland Story from my duel meet schedule. Would also not compete in any regular season multi-team tournament that Roland Story participates in.

Tough to be a good wrestler if you don't get match experience.
If I'm an opposing coach, I forfeit each match against the kid. I understand you are punishing one of your wrestlers, but if this kid loves wrestling, take it away from him by forfeiting. If the school won't do something, you can. He can go to every meet and just sit there. Let him forfeit his way to the top, because if he wins more trophies, there will be an asterisk next to it.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
If I'm an opposing coach, I forfeit each match against the kid. I understand you are punishing one of your wrestlers, but if this kid loves wrestling, take it away from him by forfeiting. If the school won't do something, you can. He can go to every meet and just sit there. Let him forfeit his way to the top, because if he wins more trophies, there will be an asterisk next to it.
Hard agree do a very hyped up intrasquad match at the end of the meet between the kid who took the L and either the jv kid at his weight or someone close to his weight, and then have your whole team cheer it like it's the God damn match of the century so everyone knows exactly what you're doing.

CyState85

May 8, 2019

I believe this incident happened off school grounds so I’m not sure how the school would be liable.

Side note—-Schools, in many cases, do not have the ability to comment on student/personnel decisions nor can they comment on closed school board hearings involving things like long term suspensions or expulsions. Because of this, districts do not really control the narrative when things happen regarding students, teachers, or coaches and it does tend to look bad.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I believe this incident happened off school grounds so I’m not sure how the school would be liable.

Side note—-Schools, in many cases, do not have the ability to comment on student/personnel decisions nor can they comment on closed school board hearings involving things like long term suspensions or expulsions. Because of this, districts do not really control the narrative when things happen regarding students, teachers, or coaches and it does tend to look bad.

The school could be sued because apparently they have a problem with hazing in their wrestling program they have not addressed, and they chose to not punish somebody who plead guilty to a heinous act in any meaningful way.

Per the linked article previously:

“Although the legal investigation happened off school grounds, there were lots of things that happened on school grounds,” Darrell Smith read. “Personally, I was going to exit this community without saying anything because I’m exhausted with trying to convince people in power to actually do what is right by parents and students, to actually do their jobs. But, I couldn’t leave without making one last attempt to wake people up. This is not about me. It’s about all the students left in this community who are suffering and need your help.”
- Mother of the alleged victim

Let me say I don't think it should necessarily even be the goal to always win these suits. The point is that apparently these schools are worried about being sued by the people the dismiss with very good cause. Well if that's their main concern, that is a bad thing. I want them constantly sued in these cases to make them worried about the opposite.

Reactions: CyDude16

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Everyone involved that is using the cop-out of well there's nothing we can do about it...yes yes you can. What I the issue afraid of being sued? Okay get sued by the kid's parents take it to court and see it play out not like you wouldn't get community support for legal fees. It's called being the bigger person and doing what's right not what's "by the book" for the sake of being scared of legal recourse.

Seriously if I'm the coach I'm booting the kid period. Take the legal outcome from it cause as if it wasn't a bad look already for the Blume family add onto it suing a coach for doing the right thing by removing a cancer from the team.

• Agree
Reactions: cyputz
Status
Not open for further replies.