JTS Improvements - Want More

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
For everyone worried about the press box/sky box......if there was a market for adding additional suites or any sort of luxury seating I am sure that Pollard would find a way to get it done. Functionality > Looks
This is very true.

By odd coincidence,I’m also reasonably sure that particular market is currently in the process of developing.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Where are you putting the displaced club seats? The discussion earlier this year concluded that we have wait lists for club seating and may have them for suits.

Everyone at this point gets the whole there are premium seats between the two levels that other stadiums don’t have. that doesn’t change the fact that the current tower looks horribly out of proportion and ugly.

Nothing is getting done for the next few years with the uncertainty but it still needs done eventually. I had been on board for doing something to finish the NEZ first and shift cheaper seats from the sides to the end but it’s actually turned out pretty nice and the talk was that they could do a third deck.

At the end of the day we need to be in a stable and financially sound conference.

I agree. Unless we get a Big 10 invite or some kind of merger with the P12 that keeps our budget the same, I would expect that we are done with major facilities projects for awhile (outside of the ped bridge and potentially Hilton).

That being said, if we do end up in a safe landing spot, I could see a new press box in the next 10 years. I would think 1-2 levels (it's currently 3?) spanning the length of the field. You could easily put the press closer to the endzones and probably end up with more suites than we have now. Of course, to do that, you have to raze all of the restroom/concession buildings on the west side. I'd hate to guess what a project like that would cost.

If I were them, one of the first things I would do would be to expand the Jack Trice Club both north and south. So, two new club areas for higher level donors. That's not a super expensive project and the space is there. Maybe do box seating so you have a small box of 8 seats with TVs, radiant heating and fans and access to a food/restroom area inside.

Reactions: isunomad

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
That being said, if we do end up in a safe landing spot…
I guess that I’m an exception. I happen to think that we’re going to land on our feet, one way or another (horns down).

Between Jamie and Wendy leading us, the product we’re putting on the field in just about every sport (basketball will be back shortly), plus the fan following, I don’t see any realistic reason for pessimism.

We were about to hit a momentary lull between projects anyway, after the Ped Bridge and lots. Especially with the COVID interruption and the resulting note. It’ll just take time to sort out.

Oh…and paying off that COVID note is all the more reason to make OU and UT pay through the nose if they want to exit early.

Lewey24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 2, 2020
Dubuque, IA
I wonder if our friends in West Virginia complain about their press box all the time too, because Milan Puskar Stadium is basically a copy of Jack Trice Stadium. Or is this just an Iowa State thing to care about?

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
I agree. Unless we get a Big 10 invite or some kind of merger with the P12 that keeps our budget the same, I would expect that we are done with major facilities projects for awhile (outside of the ped bridge and potentially Hilton).

That being said, if we do end up in a safe landing spot, I could see a new press box in the next 10 years. I would think 1-2 levels (it's currently 3?) spanning the length of the field. You could easily put the press closer to the endzones and probably end up with more suites than we have now. Of course, to do that, you have to raze all of the restroom/concession buildings on the west side. I'd hate to guess what a project like that would cost.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. I think football takes a little bit of a break with upgrades. Lets be honest, where we are now compared to 5 years ago is impressive, let alone 10 years ago, or even 15 when the big upgrades to JTS were real metal bleachers in the south endzone as opposed to the ones you could fall through like at a high school stadium.

I think Hilton and the ISC get some needed upgrades/repairs, maybe the entertainment district thing happens (personally, I'm not sold on it being successful, but that's not my decision). Make another easy pass through the olympic / non revenue sports for cheap/easy/needed facility updates. Then in about 5-10 years, when we've let the major donors refill their wallets, we push ahead with the next big upgrade to JTS (be it pressbox, replacing the Jacobson, mirroring the SPC, whatever)

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I think you've hit the nail on the head. I think football takes a little bit of a break with upgrades. Lets be honest, where we are now compared to 5 years ago is impressive, let alone 10 years ago, or even 15 when the big upgrades to JTS were real metal bleachers in the south endzone as opposed to the ones you could fall through like at a high school stadium.

I think Hilton and the ISC get some needed upgrades/repairs, maybe the entertainment district thing happens (personally, I'm not sold on it being successful, but that's not my decision). Make another easy pass through the olympic / non revenue sports for cheap/easy/needed facility updates. Then in about 5-10 years, when we've let the major donors refill their wallets, we push ahead with the next big upgrade to JTS (be it pressbox, replacing the Jacobson, mirroring the SPC, whatever)
Sadly, our Olympic / non revenue sports may be affected depending on our conference outcome. So, I suspect the budgets for those are the first to be temporarily suspended pending the outcome.

danwbarrett

Mar 29, 2006
University City, MO
Where are you putting the displaced club seats? The discussion earlier this year concluded that we have wait lists for club seating and may have them for suits.

Everyone at this point gets the whole there are premium seats between the two levels that other stadiums don’t have. that doesn’t change the fact that the current tower looks horribly out of proportion and ugly.

Nothing is getting done for the next few years with the uncertainty but it still needs done eventually. I had been on board for doing something to finish the NEZ first and shift cheaper seats from the sides to the end but it’s actually turned out pretty nice and the talk was that they could do a third deck.

At the end of the day we need to be in a stable and financially sound conference.
Remember that the people in the premium seats under the west overhang were moved to make way for the west, concourse suites. The same thing can occur on the east side. The club section probably remains where it is with suites on either side.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
After talking to someone at ISU, it sounds like that might be the only lot fixed due to all the construction equipment for the SPC project tearing it up.
Across the last fifty years, as a casual observer I’ve seen numerous techniques used for resurfacing streets, highways and parking lots, many quick and dirty short term fixes.

That said, I have zero idea what they’ve been doing in C6 all week.

Reactions: cy4state

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Across the last fifty years, as a casual observer I’ve seen numerous techniques used for resurfacing streets, highways and parking lots, many quick and dirty short term fixes.

They've done a few stripes of "repairs" in a few other sections too. Essentially, they are replacing rubble with soon-to-be-rubble!

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I guess that I’m an exception. I happen to think that we’re going to land on our feet, one way or another (horns down).

Between Jamie and Wendy leading us, the product we’re putting on the field in just about every sport (basketball will be back shortly), plus the fan following, I don’t see any realistic reason for pessimism.

We were about to hit a momentary lull between projects anyway, after the Ped Bridge and lots. Especially with the COVID interruption and the resulting note. It’ll just take time to sort out.

Oh…and paying off that COVID note is all the more reason to make OU and UT pay through the nose if they want to exit early.

Oh, I think that we'll land on our feet. Our FB program is peaking at the best time possible. BUT, the only way our budget stays the same or increases is in the Big 10. I think that we'll start seeing next summer B12 teams start to formalize plans on where they're going. They're going to wait it out and not go anywhere for 4 years just to make sure OU/UT pay to get out early. But, I could see it coming out that a set of schools could be joining the P12 in some fashion in 2025. Or maybe they add BYU, Cincy, UCF, Houston for 2025 with some sort of P12 scheduling alliance.

Either way, unless we get an invite to the B10, our revenue from TV is going to drop from $38M to more like $20M. At that point, we are going to have trouble paying our OC/DC $1M and Campbell $4.5M. It's going to be a bumpy ride unless that B10 invite comes through. And that means our facilities upgrades are going to be done for awhile.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Oh, I think that we'll land on our feet. Our FB program is peaking at the best time possible. BUT, the only way our budget stays the same or increases is in the Big 10. I think that we'll start seeing next summer B12 teams start to formalize plans on where they're going. They're going to wait it out and not go anywhere for 4 years just to make sure OU/UT pay to get out early. But, I could see it coming out that a set of schools could be joining the P12 in some fashion in 2025. Or maybe they add BYU, Cincy, UCF, Houston for 2025 with some sort of P12 scheduling alliance.

Either way, unless we get an invite to the B10, our revenue from TV is going to drop from $38M to more like $20M. At that point, we are going to have trouble paying our OC/DC $1M and Campbell $4.5M. It's going to be a bumpy ride unless that B10 invite comes through. And that means our facilities upgrades are going to be done for awhile.
Apparently your definition of “land on our feet” and mine are not the same.

To me, if we lose something like $18 million in revenue, that’s not landing on our feet.

Or losing any revenue at all.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Apparently your definition of “land on our feet” and mine are not the same.

To me, if we lose something like $18 million in revenue, that’s not landing on our feet.

Or losing any revenue at all.

Yeah, then we definitely have a different definition of landing on our feet. We're going to lose revenue over this no question unless the B10 comes across. But say we lose $18M...end up losing Campbell and hiring Manning. We're in a competitive conference with a decent TV package playing good teams with a legit shot at the playoff. I'd still call that landing on our feet. Cincy still manages to pay their coach, play top 25 ball and would have a real shot at a 12 team playoff making $8M in TV revenue.

danwbarrett

Mar 29, 2006
University City, MO
I wonder if our friends in West Virginia complain about their press box all the time too, because Milan Puskar Stadium is basically a copy of Jack Trice Stadium. Or is this just an Iowa State thing to care about?
WVU put their press tower at the top of their stadium when it was built. Remember that our first press area was where the center area of the concourse suites are now. Only the east and west sides facing the field of both stadiums are mostly the same. (The architects used on JTS designed far better additions and renovations than the ones at MPS which is just very ugly and very dated.)

Last edited:

quadmann

Apr 26, 2021
Indianola

After watching the video from today I think I know what they were doing to lot C6.

They sprayed several layer of salt solution (possibly sodium chloride, calcium chloride or a mixture) with a tank truck and then used a road grader to mix the chloride into the gravel. They finished by compacting with a roller.

The grader (1) and tank truck (2) can be seen below (the dark area lightens up as it is mixed in and the water evaporates):
lot2.jpg

This is how we used to treat limerock farm-to-market roads. The salt mixture helps to compact and stabilize the gravel. No idea if they will pave over it this year or not.

• Informative
Reactions: Cloneon and Aclone