JTS Improvements - Want More

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Looking at the pictures from inside the stadium sure makes it look easy after all the changes to put in a lower level of seats where the hillsides are now. Not sure how much the capacity would go up because I think they count the hillsides as part of our capacity of 61,500.

Does anyone know how they count the hillsides in the capacity?

They have a set number of JR Cyclone/family tickets they sell for the hill sides but I'm not sure what that number is.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Once they get this project wrapped up later this summer, I would expect the focus will turn to the bridge and the east RV parking lot. After that, back to the north lots and to somehow finalize the Pollard Entertainment District and the new hotel plans. Along with the Hilton remodeling project. Lots to look forward to, let's hope they get some cameras installed so we can all continue to comment and speculate on what's going on, construction wise.

Beat Iowa!

Come for the construction camera and stay for the tunnel talk.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
I know criticizing anything ISU is off limits for many of you, but just relax. I'm really the only one that sees a huge trailer plopped on top of another when I look at the SPC? I just think we could've been a little more imaginative there, but I understand the primary benefits of the building are on the inside.
It's beginning to grow on me. I was really impressed standing outside of it last fall. It certainly is a lot larger than I imagined. Once the plaza is complete, and you have a nice beer buzz going on one of those perfect fall October game days, you will like it a lot more.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Is anyone else underwhelmed with the design of the SPC? For all of the guff that the Jacobson building gets, I'm still a little miffed that we drew up a really big trailer for our big facilities upgrade?

Don't get me wrong, all of these upgrades are great and needed. I just thought a glass trailer would get more criticism.

Lol just looking at the comparison pictures I was thinking it looked pretty slick. What the hell do you want it to look like? A T-Rex that spits fire after TD’s?

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Lol just looking at the comparison pictures I was thinking it looked pretty slick. What the hell do you want it to look like? A T-Rex that spits fire after TD’s?

The glass looks slick, but the structure is a little squatty for my tastes. I don't know, I'm not an architect. It just looks like they plopped a trailer on top of a building. It looks like a double wide to me.

• Agree
  • Disagree
Reactions: TXCyclones and 83cy

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Ok, that would be COOL!!! Let's all email Jamie with this idea. If 2 people can pay for a pedestrian bridge, we can all chip in for a T-REX. Strategically aiming the T-REX towards the Hok marching band would be a bonus.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
With the work they are currently doing, does anyone really think that building is going anywhere? They shouldn’t. It will still be here 20 years from now. Maybe 30. I could see them expanding somehow or changing the roof line, but that’s about it.
I think it will be gone in the next 10-20 years. People forget just how far we’ve come recently. Heck the North Video Board people complain about was spectacular just 10 years ago. It will take significant donations and stuff but why do people think we can’t get it don’t when we’ve seen the support especially the past few years.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
I think it will be gone in the next 10-20 years. People forget just how far we’ve come recently. Heck the North Video Board people complain about was spectacular just 10 years ago. It will take significant donations and stuff but why do people think we can’t get it don’t when we’ve seen the support especially the past few years.
If it makes sense to tear down the Jake and bowl in the north end zone in the next 10-20 years, it means ISU has had a lot of success on the field to pair with a growing alumni base. If the wins are there, the demand, fans and donors will there there.

• Agree
  • Optimistic
Reactions: Cy4Lifer and Aclone

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
If it makes sense to tear down the Jake and bowl in the north end zone in the next 10-20 years, it means ISU has had a lot of success on the field to pair with a growing alumni base. If the wins are there, the demand, fans and donors will there there.
The growing alumni base is definitely there. The growth of enrollment is starting to show up I think as people are establishing themselves.

The success I think would just be moderate regularly competitive but I think we continue to exceed that with Campbell.

We just had two separate $5 million projects fully funded before being publicly announced in one year while building a significant facility. I feel really good about our support.

BirdOfWar

May 3, 2010
Central Iowa
The glass looks slick, but the structure is a little squatty for my tastes. I don't know, I'm not an architect. It just looks like they plopped a trailer on top of a building. It looks like a double wide to me.

I doubt anyone is going to change your opinion but the view from the webcam is not great. When I saw the building walking into the stadium last fall it was much more impressive. Hard to really judge the size from the camera.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

While I actually hope you're right, I just don't see it. They just renovated the basement to add locker rooms for visiting players and coaches plus locker rooms for cheer squad and refs plus an X-ray room. And, they added on to the north side of the building with a new ticket area and the walkway. I think that building is pretty far from the chopping block.

Now, if attendance explodes and the money really rolls in, I could see them starting over in that endzone. But it's a long ways down the line and a lot of things will need to go right for us to get there any time in the next 20 years. I do agree that they have come really far recently. Almost every sport has a fairly new facility. The ones that don't are S&D, Gymnastics and Wrestling. My guess on the priority list:

1. Ped bridge, east parking lots
2. Hilton renovations
3. P&L area
4. VB/Wrestling small venue
5. FB press box
6. Beyer replacement/renovation
7. MBB/WBB practice facility
8. Enclose NEZ

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I doubt anyone is going to change your opinion but the view from the webcam is not great. When I saw the building walking into the stadium last fall it was much more impressive. Hard to really judge the size from the camera.

Yeah, I get that it looks like a big box on top of another big box. That said, it looks much more impressive in person than it does on the webcam. And that is what really matters. It's going to make a huge difference for all student athletes at ISU, but the main reason why it's being built is for those official visitors that are showing up next month.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
While I actually hope you're right, I just don't see it. They just renovated the basement to add locker rooms for visiting players and coaches plus locker rooms for cheer squad and refs plus an X-ray room. And, they added on to the north side of the building with a new ticket area and the walkway. I think that building is pretty far from the chopping block.

Now, if attendance explodes and the money really rolls in, I could see them starting over in that endzone. But it's a long ways down the line and a lot of things will need to go right for us to get there any time in the next 20 years. I do agree that they have come really far recently. Almost every sport has a fairly new facility. The ones that don't are S&D, Gymnastics and Wrestling. My guess on the priority list:

2. Hilton renovations
3. P&L area
5. FB press box
8. Enclose NEZ
Already paid for and going to be done next year
2. Hilton renovations
Probably in the next couple of years
3. P&L area
Privately funded by a developer
While I'd like to see this I am not sure it is above other projects
5. FB press box
Again I'd like this and I'd prefer it being above the NEZ but I don't think it is.
No idea about this.
We have a perfectly fine facility currently. Is there anything it is missing. I know people want t move it over to Hilton, but I don't think that gets done.
8. Enclose NEZ
On your list I'd move this to 4th and the third isn't really part of the list since it will be a developer doing it.

Reactions: Aclone

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Already paid for and going to be done next year
2. Hilton renovations
Probably in the next couple of years
3. P&L area
Privately funded by a developer
While I'd like to see this I am not sure it is above other projects
5. FB press box
Again I'd like this and I'd prefer it being above the NEZ but I don't think it is.
No idea about this.
We have a perfectly fine facility currently. Is there anything it is missing. I know people want t move it over to Hilton, but I don't think that gets done.
8. Enclose NEZ
On your list I'd move this to 4th and the third isn't really part of the list since it will be a developer doing it.

If you really think that ISU is going to pay zero of that P&L project, I don’t know what to tell you. There will be plenty of costs not picked up by a developer.

• Agree
Reactions: Lineup and cysmiley

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron