JTS Improvements - Want More

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
No way- Jamie loves himself some hillsides. You will get beer in the stadium before Jamie is getting rid of them. He called them "iconic" one time.

We simply do not have the money to destroy a 25 year old building that we have poured millions into for upgrades- including this year. Then the cost of a new building? I mean, I would love to see a new NEZ as much as the next guy, I hate the Jacobson Bldg. That is not something I will likely see done in my lifetime. It certainly won't be done on JP's watch
Jamie isn’t a moron. I know he loves the family friendly aspect of the hill side and I don’t think that type of area goes away but something will get done. What upgrades did we just pour into the north side? Really all they did is build up the hillsides to work with no more Olson building. It isn’t going to be an immediate project by any means but I would be surprised if something didn’t get done within ten years.

I wouldn’t support really any more projects in the north end zone until we can afford to complete it. Throwing $10 million on band aids isn’t worth it when we can just survive with what we have and do a $60 million dollar project that will finally make it cohesive.

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
As we continue to see donations for these projects come in and we address deficiencies we’ve had in the past more aesthetic projects like this will happen. I think within the next ten years they bowl in the north end zone and completely redo it.
We are struggling to find funds to buyout a basketball coach. You think we have 50-75 million (that is being cheap) to do a NEZ project with seating and another 30 million (again, being cheap) to build a new office building?
Where is this money coming from? Our 3-5 major donors are pretty tapped out at the moment.

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
No way- Jamie loves himself some hillsides. You will get beer in the stadium before Jamie is getting rid of them. He called them "iconic" one time.

We simply do not have the money to destroy a 25 year old building that we have poured millions into for upgrades- including this year. Then the cost of a new building? I mean, I would love to see a new NEZ as much as the next guy, I hate the Jacobson Bldg. That is not something I will likely see done in my lifetime. It certainly won't be done on JP's watch
You can than GS for the way the building was done and the political negotiations that were responsible. The project including the pressbox and suites cost double what they should have and he never collected on some of those pledges that led to the cost. There were better options presented at the time.

• Winner
Reactions: Land Shark

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
Jamie isn’t a moron. I know he loves the family friendly aspect of the hill side and I don’t think that type of area goes away but something will get done. What upgrades did we just pour into the north side? Really all they did is build up the hillsides to work with no more Olson building. It isn’t going to be an immediate project by any means but I would be surprised if something didn’t get done within ten years.

I wouldn’t support really any more projects in the north end zone until we can afford to complete it. Throwing $10 million on band aids isn’t worth it when we can just survive with what we have and do a $60 million dollar project that will finally make it cohesive.
We scaled this project back due to funding being low. Not sure how we can do a bigger one. Again, I am all in favor of it. What I want and what we have are two different things

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Baby steps, folks. Let's win games first... a lot of them. Then let's string together multiple win seasons with high end bowl games sprinkled in. The updates will come in time, I assure you.

The 300+ pound drunks at Lambeau (including animal carcasses and diary products on their heads) don't seem to mind sitting in an antiquated NFL stadium with no seat backs. We can survive it, too. Yes, the updates will come... be patient.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Baby steps, folks. Let's win games first... a lot of them. Then let's string together multiple win seasons with high end bowl games sprinkled in. The updates will come in time, I assure you.

The 300+ pound drunks at Lambeau (including animal carcasses and diary products on their heads) don't seem to mind sitting in an antiquated NFL stadium with no seat backs. We can survive it, too. Yes, the updates will come... be patient.
Yes, it will take several more good seasons. Hopefully the stadium seats will come before I get too old to attend.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

That. And it doesn’t seem important at all compared to other pressing needs in the AD

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
We scaled this project back due to funding being low. Not sure how we can do a bigger one. Again, I am all in favor of it. What I want and what we have are two different things
Sukup cost $60 million. I’m not aware of the performance center being scaled back because of a lack of funds. We just got a two fully funded projects before they actually were announced.

The money for this current project is almost exclusively outside of the stadium.

I just don’t get this idea that we are hurting for money as bad as some suggest. Covid has hurt financials but I feel about as good as I did before Covid on the money side because we seem to keep getting the big donations.

Again I’m talking within 10 years. 10 years ago we weren’t sure if we’d be in a power conference. A lot happens in 10 years.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

There are updates to the Jacobson going on now. NCC offices going into the old Heartland Hall, visitors/officials/cheer squad locker rooms going into the basement, a new north entryway with ticket offices. That building is going nowhere any time soon. IMO the next stage after the current work and pedestrian bridge is going to be Hilton and the P&L district. After that, I would guess they look at the press box. Or maybe a small arena for wresting/VB south of the Alumni Center. Maybe if the new TV contracts are huge, they look at a new BB practice facility attached to Hilton and move VB and Wresting out to west Ames. Either way, I would think that replacing the Jacobson would be WAY down the list.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
There are updates to the Jacobson going on now. NCC offices going into the old Heartland Hall, visitors/officials/cheer squad locker rooms going into the basement, a new north entryway with ticket offices. That building is going nowhere any time soon. IMO the next stage after the current work and pedestrian bridge is going to be Hilton and the P&L district. After that, I would guess they look at the press box. Or maybe a small arena for wresting/VB south of the Alumni Center. Maybe if the new TV contracts are huge, they look at a new BB practice facility attached to Hilton and move VB and Wresting out to west Ames. Either way, I would think that replacing the Jacobson would be WAY down the list.
The renovations in Jacobsen in my opinion are more stop gaps to use the space that we have. They aren’t actual renovations.

Hilton is one that should be done. I agree there. Entertainment district is privately developed so no issue money was there.

The reason I think the north end zone is next is the future of football ticket growth is mostly going to be premium areas like the Jack Trice Club. I think those are important as they will grow donations and revenues. We want to capitalize on those ways to grow revenue.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
That plaza is going to be awesome. It won't happen but I'd love for this to happen: Have a jumbotron on the back of the current one in the north endzone, facing out to the new plaza and tailgating area. Could do a lot of cool stuff and events with it too.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
The reason I think the north end zone is next is the future of football ticket growth is mostly going to be premium areas like the Jack Trice Club. I think those are important as they will grow donations and revenues. We want to capitalize on those ways to grow revenue.

Expanding (and filling) the east club area is the first step. Sideline views will generate more revenue than end-zone views.

Reactions: Haverhill

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Expanding (and filling) the east club area is the first step. Sideline views will generate more revenue than end-zone views.
I agree that you want to focus club areas on the sides. The thing is as you add club areas or actual seats you are going to decrease capacity. I don’t think we want to really expand seating but I also don’t think we want to lose capacity.