NBA: Jordan vs Lebron

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
This all started by saying that MJ made his team better. I love that you're using made up things to prove it instead of just looking at the teams before and after.
It isn't made up. He made his teams better. He built this teammates into his image. I don't know that is so difficult to understand.

• Creative
Reactions: cyclonespiker33

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
The GOAT definitely didn’t spend most of his career taking HGH.

giphy.gif

trScott

Apr 20, 2007
Had to join in this discussion. I did not realize the NBA had no athletic individuals playing in the 80s and 90s with an average vertical jump of 3 inches (see Dominique Wilkins) versus today's players with an average vertical jump of 79". I did not realize Wilt Chamberlain had no athletic skills (see Kansas track team) and would be dominated by Kevin Durant in the current NBA (Wilt would probably dunk on Durant so hard it would break Kevin's foot). Also did not realize Dennis Rodman does not have any viable opinion on defense and would have a hard time covering the 12th man for the Dallas Mavericks.

I've seen both players (Lebron and Michael) in person. From a visual perspective, it's like watching Michelango painting the Sistine Chapel versus Bob Ross painting the neighbors pond. Alright, not quite that level but give me MJ highlights any day of the week!

Player I want to shoot last shot of game (for the win): Michael
Player I want in game 7 of the finals: Michael
Player I want for entire final's series: Michael
Player I want for a season: Michael
Player I want to start a franchise: Michael
Player I would like for 20 years: Lebron

Michael's intensity and drive for every practice, game, season, and career (minus Wizards) was unprecedented. Lebron may be slightly bigger but Michael's athleticism and body control was off the charts (just go watch his highlights).

Before Michael, the Bulls were a laughing stock with zero chance of winning the championship and little chance of beating the old men's championship YMCA team.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
Says the boomers who shriek Michael Jordan at the top of their lungs at any mention of LeBron.
And that under 30 crowd gets so triggered at the thought that anyone could be better than their king.

Mostly Gen X'ers....who were around to watch both in their prime. You don't know what you don't know.

But no worries, we won't hold your youth and inexperience against you! ;)

• Winner
Reactions: MisterO

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
LeBron had Cavs in the finals 4 years in. Took MJ 7.

Cavs in the 4 years without LeBron won 19, 21, 24, 33 games and then were back in the finals his first year back.

Bulls won 55 and 47 without LeBron and won a playoff series both years.

MJ is great but his teams still competed without him. Cavs were nothing without LeBron.

LeBron also had to play the Warriors at their peak for four years and were the greatest team of all time.

• Haha
Reactions: Halincandenza

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Before Michael, the Bulls were a laughing stock with zero chance of winning the championship and little chance of beating the old men's championship YMCA team.

You act like Cleveland was any good ever until LeBron. I remember going to Cavs games where they would ask you to move to the lower level to make it seem like it was kinda full. We could get tickets for $5 easy.

1983/84 season before MJ: 27-55
MJ Rookie Season: 38-44

2002/03 season before LeBron: 17-65
LeBron Rookie Season: 35-47

LeBron made them TWICE as good as an 18 year old. MJ got put into a good situation that only got better when he was given good talent and all time coaching around him.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I think the reason most people have such strong feelings about MJ is that he was a massive pop culture and branding phenomenon that we haven’t seen before or since. You can make an argument for guys like Kobe and Shaq, but they didn’t reach the level Jordan did.

No real point in comparing two all time greats from different eras with a bias based on your age. I’d give the edge to MJ based on what I said above, but LeBron has the career stats to back up his place in the game.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I hate this argument. It is pointless and annoying. 2 of the greatest ever and you are never going to be able to truly compare them.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
People that say Jordan was 6-0 somehow think losing before the finals was a good thing.

For the first several years of his career, he never lifted weights. Got tired of being pushed around, but still performed at a high level. They beat the crap out of him.

Once he committed to bulking up, they won three in a row. Then he retired for to play two years of baseball. The year they lost in the conference semis, he had rejoined the team late, only playing in the final 17 regular season games. After that, he won three more before retiring again. Could have won another one or two after that.

Had he stayed the course, he likely would have ended up with 9 or 10 rings. Had he committed to lifting earlier in his career, he might have ended up with more. Imagine a player today putting up those kinds of stats without lifting weights. Jordan was a one of a kind.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Had to join in this discussion. I did not realize the NBA had no athletic individuals playing in the 80s and 90s with an average vertical jump of 3 inches (see Dominique Wilkins) versus today's players with an average vertical jump of 79". I did not realize Wilt Chamberlain had no athletic skills (see Kansas track team) and would be dominated by Kevin Durant in the current NBA (Wilt would probably dunk on Durant so hard it would break Kevin's foot). Also did not realize Dennis Rodman does not have any viable opinion on defense and would have a hard time covering the 12th man for the Dallas Mavericks.

I've seen both players (Lebron and Michael) in person. From a visual perspective, it's like watching Michelango painting the Sistine Chapel versus Bob Ross painting the neighbors pond. Alright, not quite that level but give me MJ highlights any day of the week!

Player I want to shoot last shot of game (for the win): Michael
Player I want in game 7 of the finals: Michael
Player I want for entire final's series: Michael
Player I want for a season: Michael
Player I want to start a franchise: Michael
Player I would like for 20 years: Lebron

Michael's intensity and drive for every practice, game, season, and career (minus Wizards) was unprecedented. Lebron may be slightly bigger but Michael's athleticism and body control was off the charts (just go watch his highlights).

I don't think anyone is saying the great players would be bad against today's competition. I think people are saying that some starters and most reserves from back then wouldn't even be good enough to be in the league today. There are just so many great players now, plus the rest of the world is catching up too.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Why are they delusional? He could just back him in every time. The dude is 6-8 265 for **** sakes. Jordan couldn't have even bodied someone like Karl Malone in the paint back in his day. GTFO. I'm old enough to have seen plenty of both of these guys and they are neck and neck.

You are wrong. How about You GTFO. LOL..... Lebron doesn't have the skill of Jordan, or the brains. Or the fire. He's soft. Jordan would literally make him cry.

MisterO

Proverbs 19:11
Dec 6, 2020
But no worries, we won't hold your youth and inexperience against you! ;)

Being able to watch both MJ and Lebron in their primes... a lucky basketball fan.

Paraphrasing Regan in a basketball argument...priceless.

You sir, are the man!

trScott

Apr 20, 2007
The best thing about this debate is that I can never, ever lose the argument! I can never win but it is entertaining for some odd reason.

In a strange twist, I think Lebron would have been better in the Jordan area when physical play was not only allowed but encouraged and Michael excelling to even greater heights in today's environment with no hand checking or body contact.

In a true debate, I think Jordan era NBA players had a lot more character than today's players (social media and constant online judgement probably has a lot to do with it). Where have all the great nicknames disappeared:

Julius "Dr. J" Erving
Earvin "Magic" Johnson
Daryl "Chocolate Thunder" Dawkins (from Lovetron)
Robert "The Chief" Parish
Gary "The Glove" Payton
Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon
Karl "The Mailman" Malone
Vinnie "The Microwave" Johnson

And perhaps the most under rated player of all-time: Billy "The Whopper" Paultz. Without a doubt, the Whopper would have dominated every food court in the NBA today!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron