Jaydin Eierman

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Were there any 3-time champions that didn't get a chance at the 4th?
Not sure. The two that pop into my head as past champs were CeJo and mark Hall. I think The older Valencia may have been a senior also. To be able to have another year, you had to have a year of eligibility left. The Ivy League in wrestling and originally the big ten and pac 12 in football are reasons that they made this year not count, so they wouldn’t lose a year since others played and you didn’t. I think it would have been better to just go by individual schools/conferences and say if your school doesn’t compete, then you get another year.

• Agree
Reactions: 1100011CS

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
My rule would have been anyone whom qualified last year would have been given a extra year. That's it. For wrestlers and anyone who lost out on end of year tournament.

Reactions: Ocy Docy

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
My rule would have been anyone whom qualified last year would have been given a extra year. That's it. For wrestlers and anyone who lost out on end of year tournament.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The problem with last years seniors was decisions were not made until basically the start of this year. Most had probably moved on and either took jobs, signed with clubs to go the Olympic route and such. The decision would have needed to have dropped immediately to have give enough time for last years seniors.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Not sure. The two that pop into my head as past champs were CeJo and mark Hall. I think The older Valencia may have been a senior also. To be able to have another year, you had to have a year of eligibility left. The Ivy League in wrestling and originally the big ten and pac 12 in football are reasons that they made this year not count, so they wouldn’t lose a year since others played and you didn’t. I think it would have been better to just go by individual schools/conferences and say if your school doesn’t compete, then you get another year.

Yeah...I don’t think there were any potential 4 timers impacted. There are better folks than me to answer with confidence though.

JohnPrineforCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2019
I don't believe there were any possible 4 timers impacted. Hall would have been a two-timer, but could have been a 4 time finalist. Cenzo lost to Mekhi Lewis the year before, and Valencia had to miss the end of the season anyway due to failed drug test. Don't quote me on any of this, but I think thats what would have happened.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
The problem with last years seniors was decisions were not made until basically the start of this year. Most had probably moved on and either took jobs, signed with clubs to go the Olympic route and such. The decision would have needed to have dropped immediately to have give enough time for last years seniors.
I agree and I didn't address the timing of things. I just don't like how the NCAA made a broad rule across all sports. IMO it would have been easy to have each sport make it's own "covid exceptions". By giving this years kids an extra year you're essentially rewarding the TrFr whom didn't miss anything and also hurting incoming recruits for years to come. My rule would only apply to the guys whom actually qualified for the 2020 tourney. Everyone else would lose a year just as if they would have in any normal year. This could have been applied the same way for basketball.

Baseball should be different since they lost essentially the whole season... Anyone whom participated in Baseball last year should get another year... However the incoming Freshmen (TrFr) shouldn't get an extra year.

IF someone has/had a job lined up then they would make a decision on if they would move on. That's really no different than any athlete who graduates in 3 or 4 years and decides to forgo his/her final year(s) of eligibility. However a guy like Pat Lugo would have the choice (assuming the coaches allowed it) to come back and get a shot at his 4th NCAA tourney.

It still would limit everyone to 4 tourney's and would have such a ripple effect on future recruiting.

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
Slow day at work so I was reading Jaydin Eierman's wiki page. Impressive collegiate career redshirting as true freshman and then going 5-4-3-2 at Nationals getting beat by Heil-Diakomihalis-Diakomihalis-Lee. He also took an Olympic last year. To date his record is 103-15.

My issue is this... due to the COVID-19 Eierman confirmed he will come back in 2021–2022 as a 25 year old, sixth-year senior.

I believe that if you have wrestled at 4 national tourney's you should be done. That's BS.
Had this same discussion with buddies of mine. We all agreed that they should not be allowed to wrestle in more than 4 NCAA tournaments.

• Agree
Reactions: CyGold

Help Support Us

Become a patron