Javan Johnson commits

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
The person who compares him to Beverly couldn’t be more opposite..

Beverly was 6’4 and slow with one year and shot 25% from 3 at UTSA..

Javan is a lot more athletic and 6’7 with 2 years to play with a full sit out year to improve his game and put up 150 threes last year and is a career 38% 3pt shooter..

I think Javan and Leech and Zion splitting minutes at the wing in 2020 will be perfect..

Both Leech and JJ are long and athletic and can shoot.. it’s othrr end of the floor I’m curious about.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
The person who compares him to Beverly couldn’t be more opposite..

Beverly was 6’4 and slow with one year and shot 25% from 3 at UTSA..

Javan is a lot more athletic and 6’7 with 2 years to play with a full sit out year to improve his game and put up 150 threes last year and is a career 38% 3pt shooter..

I think Javan and Leech and Zion splitting minutes at the wing in 2020 will be perfect..

Both Leech and JJ are long and athletic and can shoot.. it’s othrr end of the floor I’m curious about.

Athletically, he looks more like Shayok as neither is an explosive leaper and both have a similar frame with Javan being 1-2 inches taller. Javan's 3-pt % last year was .353 and Shayok's at UVA his last year there was .328, but against better competition in the ACC. Hopefully, Javan's shooting/game will improve as much as Shayok's in the year off.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I like this addition. Spring recruiting is going pretty well this year. We missed on Tucker as the #1 target, but I was never counting on him and glad he stayed out of the Big 12.

Grill looks like a good program guy who could get serious minutes or even end up as the fifth starter/third guard starting in our backcourt given the minutes available. I would have been happy with any 1/3 of Grill and the others, so we got our man.

If I remember correctly, Johnson was a guy Kane wanted at Murray State before he went to Troy. Considering his reputation for finding under-the-radar guys, I would hope a fourth-year junior Javan Johnson, after a year to concentrate on getting better, would turn into a pretty nice piece for two years. Maybe not quite Shayok, but of that mold. I trust this staff to know if a guy can be productive at a high-major with a better system, time, and better coaching.

His 43.8% from 3PT as a freshman and career 38.3% are definitely interesting. Being able to make a shot from a good look is something that translates to all levels.

I would still like a score-first guard or wing to round it out. If that ends up being the case, then we really killed it this spring. Bolton sounds like a real possibility yet, and some more guys might come online, though, so withholding judgement there until finished.

We have made two really good additions so far, though. Anybody complaining this is a repeat of the Jeff Beverly Experience should be drug out into the street and shot.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Johnson's efficiency statistics and points above replacement (so far)...

upload_2019-5-16_21-19-10.png

So he was roughly 0.9 points above a replacement-level player as a sophomore.

Before you say "that sucks," check out a comparison...

upload_2019-5-16_21-22-15.png

He is not too far off Marial Shayok's sophomore year at UVA with a 1.0 points above replacement player. If Shayok can improve as much as he did, why not Johnson?

Heck, the staff should get more credit (and Shayok himself, of course) for improving so much with the sit-out year and joining up with the squad in Ames.

And yes, these numbers are adjusted for the level of competition. The same numbers against the Sun Belt and the ACC give you better points above replacement scores if you are in the high-major instead of the Northeast Conference or the Patriot League.

Last edited:

Gibbon

Aug 20, 2013
Ames
Jacobsen, Nixon, Lewis, Griffin, and Grill together averaged under a 30% 3-point shooting percentage last year (Woooof). With Javan and all our other additions, I'm assuming we'll see a heck of a jump in 3 point percentage this season.

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
Jacobsen, Nixon, Lewis, Griffin, and Grill together averaged under a 30% 3-point shooting percentage last year (Woooof). With Javan and all our other additions, I'm assuming we'll see a heck of a jump in 3 point percentage this season.

Plus you would imagine that Jackson and Bolton shoot more like the 3pt% they did the last half of the season as opposed to the 1st half.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
All the Javon haters aren’t going to like seeing that stat! They already don’t like Prohm raving about his passing ability and athleticism to guard 1-4

there are Javan haters?

As for the Prohm comments - for every NBA Player he’s developed and bust he’s signed i bet i could find statements where he’s made encouraging comments. What Prohm says about a player in media availability means very little to me

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
there are Javan haters?

As for the Prohm comments - for every NBA Player he’s developed and bust he’s signed i bet i could find statements where he’s made encouraging comments. What Prohm says about a player in media availability means very little to me
Pretty much status quo for any/all coaches.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Agree which is why setting expectations for any player at any level at any program based off what the HC said in media availability is unfair, imo

With one glaring exception (who subsequently transferred), I haven’t noticed a lot of sunshine-blowing from Prohm’s staff. The previous staff was another story.

ChickenNuggetMan

Drinks beer with CycloneLarry69
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2017
Minneapolis
All the Javon haters aren’t going to like seeing that stat! They already don’t like Prohm raving about his passing ability and athleticism to guard 1-4

I don’t think anyone wants Javan to fail here, but some of us just don’t see a decent mid-major player becoming a force in the B12. I would LOVE to be wrong here.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron