ISU viewer increase

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Roughly 20% of our undergrads are from Illinois (primarily Chicago area) and do u think they know how many kids go to Iowa? I know lots of Iowa/Chicago kids and have never heard them describe Iowa State as uni like or smaller. That is a first. Especially stem majors - they know that Iowa State is more like Illinois vs Iowa. You must be hanging out with the psych/soc and dance majors.

I didn't know stem majors had friends. :p

Yes, I think suburban Chicago kids are very familiar with Iowa as it's their #1 fallback school.

My friends didn't name UNI specifically, they were very surprised that ISU had a larger enrollment than Iowa. They also told me that Nebraska was a bigger rival than ISU. They were then immediately shot down by every Iowa fan in our group of friends who grew up in the state of Iowa.

My point is the perception of Iowa State outside of the state is often outdated and inaccurate.

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006

Yes, I think suburban Chicago kids are very familiar with Iowa as it's their #1 fallback school.

My friends didn't name UNI specifically, they were very surprised that ISU had a larger enrollment than Iowa. They also told me that Nebraska was a bigger rival than ISU. They were then immediately shot down by every Iowa fan in our group of friends who grew up in the state of Iowa.

My point is the perception of Iowa State outside of the state is often outdated and inaccurate.
I've talked to LOTS of folks from out of state, some of whom have lived in Iowa for a long time, who think that Iowa State's enrollment is like 16,000 or something. Good lord.

Reactions: SolarGarlic

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!

The are a victim of sports media propaganda. Again, B12 and ISU are belittled at every opportunity. I tell people up here that ISU is the same size or larger than uofi and people here are shocked. I’ve brought people down to games and they are shocked, had no idea our stadium is bigger than gophers and that we played the teams we do...albeit UT and OU chief among those.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Would you consider unbalanced payouts to snatch Oregon and Washington?

They'd be the tent poles for the new league. At least Oregon would
No. Can’t put new members above old members. I wonder if we have the new PAC schools start at a pro rated rate like the other 4.

Reactions: NWICY

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020

Funny statement on stem majors.

That's what I always told my Chicago land friends who go to Iowa and Iowa State - it was their fallback school. At least 8 out of ten (vast majority) look at you and smile knowing they couldn't get into Illinois.

I think your last statement is accurate. Thanks for clarifying.

MisterO

Proverbs 19:11
Dec 6, 2020
I say this every thread I have a chance to…but we as fans need to make the most of this momentum. We are looking at a possible top-20 recruiting class this year and had a top 30 one last year…a massive improvement from our 60’ish ranked classes BC (before Campbell). Iowa State football is consistently winning and able to play with the big boys- and we have the fans, like me, who have waited over 30 years for this and the viewership numbers are reflecting.

What can the average fan do? We need to attend games- and take a young fan with you. Everyone on here has a young son or daughter, nieces, nephews, or grandkids…you go to the game, but make sure you take at least one with you as well. It’s our job to grow the next crop of fans.

Also- give. Even if you can only scrape together $100 over a year, give. Give to NIL, join the Cyclone Club. Money makes it go and every fans needs to kick in. $100 may not seem like a lot, but if 10,000 fans adopted that mentality, it adds up. If you give now, give more. This is the way friends: build our base and give money.

Last edited:

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
The are a victim of sports media propaganda. Again, B12 and ISU are belittled at every opportunity. I tell people up here that ISU is the same size or larger than uofi and people here are shocked. I’ve brought people down to games and they are shocked, had no idea our stadium is bigger than gophers and that we played the teams we do...albeit UT and OU chief among those.
I get the same attitude in FL.

A few DO know it but most think UofI is at least double the enrollment of ISU. When I tell them, no, ISU has more students than TOE half of them don't believe me. More than once I've pull up the wiki pages for both just to make them know it's true.

I was guilty of the same 35 years ago when working with an MSU alum who had to set me straight that their enrollment exceeded maize and blue.

• Creative
Reactions: criticalobserver

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
I get the same attitude in FL.

A few DO know it but most think UofI is at least double the enrollment of ISU. When I tell them, no, ISU has more students than TOE half of them don't believe me. More than once I've pull up the wiki pages for both just to make them know it's true.

I was guilty of the same 35 years ago when working with an MSU alum who had to set me straight that their enrollment exceeded maize and blue.
Prior to NU joining they were the smallest public institution in the BIG. Just had this conversation at a 4th party last night, when I talked to a parent of a kid that is considering ISU.

Last edited:

sj4

Jun 12, 2012
That would be an interesting exercise for someone to put together. List attendance, viewership of ISU and compare to other schools in a blind comparison - you're probably right it would probably surprise a lot of people.
This is a copy and paste of something I posted awhile ago. I think they were based on 2019 numbers. For some reason the 2021 numbers aren't up yet.

Here are some numbers I crunched concerning attendance.

We would rank 8th in attendance in a 16 team Big 10
We would rank 2nd in attendance in a 16 team PAC 12.

We rank 21st nationwide in football attendance . Iowa is 20th. We out-attend 16 of the current 26 teams in the Big ten and Pac 12.

Versus big ten teams:

10% more than Purdue
45% more than Indiana
45% more than Illinois
58% more than Maryland
59% more than Northwestern
99% more than Rutgers (read twice as many)

Versus Pac 12 teams

11% more than Oregon
21% more than Arizona State
21% more than Colorado
51% more than Arizona
61% more than Stanford
28% more than Utah
36% more than UCLA
40% more than California
84% more than Oregon State
And 109% more than Washington State

So can it be assumed that Iowa State has an equivalent percentage more fans than these? If so then Iowa States streaming value is more valuable than all of them.

And let's say you're starting the Big ten from scratch. Can someone make a case that Northwestern by itself is somehow much more valuable than Iowa State is? Yeah they're in the Chicago market but nobody cares. In other words Chicagoinites aren't watching. Rutgers? Same

Since cable isn’t as big a deal now and since streaming is it would seem that the number of fans a team has is the more important thing these days.

Also...Iowa State is 3rd in national women’s basketball attendance. Iowa is 10th. They would be 1st in the big 10. And ahead of Iowa as they would be 2nd.

Iowa State is 15th in national mens basketball attendance. Iowa is 23rd. They would be 6th in the big 10. Iowa would be 8th.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Would you consider unbalanced payouts to snatch Oregon and Washington?

They'd be the tent poles for the new league. At least Oregon would

Nope, Oregon has some cache' but Washington isn't worth kissing up to.

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN
This is a copy and paste of something I posted awhile ago. I think they were based on 2019 numbers. For some reason the 2021 numbers aren't up yet.

Here are some numbers I crunched concerning attendance.

We would rank 8th in attendance in a 16 team Big 10
We would rank 2nd in attendance in a 16 team PAC 12.

We rank 21st nationwide in football attendance . Iowa is 20th. We out-attend 16 of the current 26 teams in the Big ten and Pac 12.

Versus big ten teams:

10% more than Purdue
45% more than Indiana
45% more than Illinois
58% more than Maryland
59% more than Northwestern
99% more than Rutgers (read twice as many)

Versus Pac 12 teams

11% more than Oregon
21% more than Arizona State
21% more than Colorado
51% more than Arizona
61% more than Stanford
28% more than Utah
36% more than UCLA
40% more than California
84% more than Oregon State
And 109% more than Washington State

So can it be assumed that Iowa State has an equivalent percentage more fans than these? If so then Iowa States streaming value is more valuable than all of them.

And let's say you're starting the Big ten from scratch. Can someone make a case that Northwestern by itself is somehow much more valuable than Iowa State is? Yeah they're in the Chicago market but nobody cares. In other words Chicagoinites aren't watching. Rutgers? Same

Since cable isn’t as big a deal now and since streaming is it would seem that the number of fans a team has is the more important thing these days.

Also...Iowa State is 3rd in national women’s basketball attendance. Iowa is 10th. They would be 1st in the big 10. And ahead of Iowa as they would be 2nd.

Iowa State is 15th in national mens basketball attendance. Iowa is 23rd. They would be 6th in the big 10. Iowa would be 8th.
B1G list is missing Minnesota. I would guess at least 25% more.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016

Using the 2021 numbers,

*Average viewership of the new Big 12: 879k per game

Viewership per game of the potential expansion targets:
*Oregon - 2.57M
*Utah - 994k
*Washington - 985k
*Stanford - 778k
*Arizona State - 739k
*Boise State - 657k
*Colorado - 366k
*Arizona - 337k
*Cal - 222k

Obviously you don't make decisions like these based on only one season but Colorado and Arizona are lower than I expected. Yes they were terrible, but for reference Kansas's number is 540k.

Also if you wanna know why the B1G is gonna be so rich... 13 of that league's soon-to-be 16 teams averaged over 1M viewers per game (and Maryland was at 971k; Rutgers and Northwestern weren't close). Same with 12 of the 16 in the SEC. But the Big 12 didn't average that league-wide.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Using the 2021 numbers,

*Oregon - 2.57M
*Utah - 994k
*Washington - 985k
*Stanford - 778k
*Arizona State - 739k
*Boise State - 657k
*Colorado - 366k
*Arizona - 337k
*Cal - 222k

Obviously you don't make decisions like these based on only one season but Colorado and Arizona are lower than I expected. Yes they were terrible, but for reference Kansas's number is 540k.

Also if you wanna know why the B1G is gonna be so rich... 13 of that league's soon-to-be 16 teams averaged over 1M viewers per game (and Maryland was at 971k; Rutgers and Northwestern weren't close). Same with 12 of the 16 in the SEC. But the Big 12 didn't average that league-wide.
4 of those were in the AAC. Bad TV package. Should be higher with the big XII positioning.

Also, I think the PAC schools could benefit from better time slots also.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
4 of those were in the AAC. Bad TV package. Should be higher with the big XII positioning.

Cincy and BYU both raised the average.

Not to mention, the lack of OU and UT games will likely drop the 8 others' numbers overall.

The main point was evaluating the possible additions but it's still true that the Big 12 is going to be well behind the B1G and SEC; that's just the way it is.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

Totally agree these matter but its really crazy Boise stacks up like they do. They're fighting both of those issues, probably worse than any AAC or Pac 12 team. I'm not interested in them but that's impressive.

• Agree
Reactions: cyIclSoneU

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
For this plussed up new Big12 we’ve got to have equal revenue distribution. Otherwise there’s gonna be infighting. Our own league history shows us that.

If UO and UW think they’re such hot **** then let them lick the boots of the BIG or SEC to gain entry.

I like the idea of adding schools that are at or around the same level as the rest of the Big12. The competition will be amazing and from that pool of equality a few teams will really start to make a name for themselves, picking off P2 teams in the playoffs and possibly winning a National Championship. I’m looking at you Iowa State.

Last edited:

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Yep, we average ~15-20k more fans for football games than most Pac 12 schools and are double if not triple their basketball attendance. It’s actually kinda scary how little interest their is in some schools. Cal, Stanford, USC, Oregon State and Wazzu all averaged less than 5k fans for basketball games. They are closer to UNI than Iowa State.
That's what everyone doesn't understand about these pac 10 schools. When people say we should add the All these schools you have to be very very careful. People just don't attend games or watch these schools anymore, it's really not a comparable situation vs what we as iowa state fans are used to. A lot of these games are closer to a high school product that a big 12 product at this point. People just don't care.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Using the 2021 numbers,

*Oregon - 2.57M
*Utah - 994k
*Washington - 985k
*Stanford - 778k
*Arizona State - 739k
*Boise State - 657k
*Colorado - 366k
*Arizona - 337k
*Cal - 222k

I'd argue it's more 'marketing' those games by the networks. The future will start to see a completely different form of marketing. Less geographical and more on content. The media partners, of course, are doing all the hype. We need a media partner to out-hype the other guys.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
How long will the SEC put up with Vandy? Their numbers are awful.
I say this tongue in cheek, but how long will the SEC put up with Mizzou (462K)? Their numbers are woof...Colorado too (366K)...for reference sake, Kansas, last in the Big 12, averaged 540K.