ISU Offense - Receiver Route Tree

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
We have to have the worst route tree in college football!

Tired of all the 5 yard out routes. Our passing game philosophy basically gives us no chance for yards after catch!

Why can't we run something over the middle, maybe a few crossing routes?

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
We have to have the worst route tree in college football!

Tired of all the 5 yard out routes. Our passing game philosophy basically gives us no chance for yards after catch!

Why can't we run something over the middle, maybe a few crossing routes?
Seems to me like they don't trust Becht with anything other than simple, easy, one read throws. That's a huge problem. They are terrified to let him throw over the middle and turn it over, which inevitably leads to an INT anyway as defenders start sitting on the 5 yard out routes as we saw today.

Reactions: psycln11

globogym6

Jan 12, 2019
We also lack dynamic wide receivers. I wouldn’t trust Noel to catch anything across the middle over 10 yards.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
We ran empty 5 wide sets a handful of times yesterday where the 5 split out were 1 true WR(Higgins) 2 TE a 5 ft 8 RB and Noel. What defense is going to struggle to defend that?

Either we have the worst WR room in the country or the worst offense philosophy in the country. Probably both.

hiltonisheaven

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
We ran empty 5 wide sets a handful of times yesterday where the 5 split out were 1 true WR(Higgins) 2 TE a 5 ft 8 RB and Noel. What defense is going to struggle to defend that?

Either we have the worst WR room in the country or the worst offense philosophy in the country. Probably both.
I think it’s both. Some poor personnel choices. Noel is afraid out there. I was hoping he would grow out of it but it’s the same as last year. Time to give someone else a try.
I also saw a few missed opportunities where we had Higgins against their weaker corner and Becht just didn’t see it. That’s an area he can build on after he sees the film and gets more experience. We threw to DeJean’s side an awful lot and he was clearly the best player on the field.

Last edited: