ISU Mancaves

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Last summer my wife and I ended up going to an open house in town on a whim. Didn't end up taking the plunge (thank god because we're now moving to Des Moines), but that house had a pretty cool bar set-up in the basement and I immediately could picture how I would set it up as a Cyclone man-cave. The image is seriously burned into my mind and if we ever do move into a house that has a bar set-up, it's going to be awesome.

Bamacyclone

Jan 7, 2012
SE
Thanks to this thread, I've got the itch to add some things to the cave. Went into ebay and found a team captain photo from the 76 8-3 team under Earle Bruce. This was my time in school.

1976 Press Photo Iowa State University Football Team | eBay

That was a very good team. We beat Nebraska in Ames that year.

Question for any other old timers. If you can read the small print on the photo it has Maynard Stensrud (#90) up front. It lists him as a linebacker though. My foggy memory had him as a defensive end? Any one else from that time around?

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
We used to have an ISU guest room, but changed it when we moved. I'm tempted to put out a bunch of stuff this week when my husband's Husker cousin and family are staying here.

My Dad has a bunch of vintage ISU collectibles. Growing up the wall by his pool table had all the Walden/Orr Bartles and James posters.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Question for any other old timers. If you can read the small print on the photo it has Maynard Stensrud (#90) up front. It lists him as a linebacker though. My foggy memory had him as a defensive end? Any one else from that time around?

Maynard played "middle guard" in 1975, and linebacker in '76 (at 6-4, 237!).

ISU ran a 5-2 defense from 74-78, with a rover/"monster" and 3 DBs.

Wallacelantz

Dec 30, 2008
I don't have a man cave yet, but these are a few of the items that will be on display when I do. Recently I started putting together a collectiion of homecoming buttons. If anyone has any they would like to part with I would be interested. A couple of the ones shown are being donated to the alumni association for their display, so I may be interested even if they are pictured.

I apologize for the poor picture quality
IMAG0146.jpg

IMAG0149.jpg

IMAG0148.jpg

IMAG0147.jpg

Last edited:

Maplewurst

Apr 6, 2011
trailer down by the river
Thanks to this thread, I've got the itch to add some things to the cave. Went into ebay and found a team captain photo from the 76 8-3 team under Earle Bruce. This was my time in school.

1976 Press Photo Iowa State University Football Team | eBay

That was a very good team. We beat Nebraska in Ames that year.

8.00 ?!?!?!?!? Oh my dear lord... that is worth 8,000 million dollars to me. I was 10 and went to the Neb game you speak of and that secured and sealed the deal that I would be a Cyclone forever and not ever wear a titanium nut cup if needed. :twitcy:

P.S. Stensrud was a MONSTER; sorry, that is all I remember !

Bamacyclone

Jan 7, 2012
SE
8.00 ?!?!?!?!? Oh my dear lord... that is worth 8,000 million dollars to me. I was 10 and went to the Neb game you speak of and that secured and sealed the deal that I would be a Cyclone forever and not ever wear a titanium nut cup if needed. :twitcy:

Agreed! Too bad the Stensrud boys aren't producing bunches of sons...

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN

I'll sell it to you (or trade memorabilia)... :yes: Sounds like it means more to you than me.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
looking good..

i have a 2005 white big poster of jack trice signed by every starting member of the defense, and offense.. and all the coaches from that year... defense in black marker, offense in red.. got them all myself.. pat pat.

signed mini helmet and football by CPR

signed basketball by the mayor

jack trice banner from before they tore down the east concourse...

there is one more item i want and not sure how to get it.. i want a full size ISU helmet signed by Jake Knott and AJ Klein.. if someone can make that happen i will, be forever greatfull. Dont want an Ohio State situation please...:)

Last edited:

mattyice

Oct 15, 2011
looking good..

i have a 2005 white big poster of jack trice signed by every starting member of the defense, and offense.. and all the coaches from that year... defense in black marker, offense in red.. got them all myself.. pat pat.

signed mini helmet and football by CPR

signed basketball by the mayor

jack trice banner from before they tore down the east concourse...

there is one more item i want and not sure how to get it.. i want a full size ISU helmet signed by Jake Knott and AJ Klein.. if someone can make that happen i will, be forever greatfull. Dont want an Ohio State situation please...:)

You know what though....I can't speak for those two...but most players or former players I've ever met...if you ask them...and you'll do the legwork I.e. driving to them, etc.....those guys will sign anything.

Shoot....aren't they roommates?

Great pics by the way guys

cyfan9

Aug 27, 2011
Agreed! Too bad the Stensrud boys aren't producing bunches of sons...

Maynard and Mike are from Lake Mills, Iowa. Mike played defensive line for ISU with Maynard. Mike went on to a 11 year NFL career (pretty sure it was 11) and had three boys.

Andy, the oldest son, played football at ISU from 97-2000 I believe. He was at tight end and then moved to offensive line to make room for Mike Banks (if I remember correctly). I thought he got screwed bc Andy had great hands and had quite a few terrific catches his soph year before the move. He ended up being a very solid consistent starter on the line for moving so late in the career. He finished his career at the Insight Bowl which I was there for and remember vividly. Wasn't drafted but went to some NFL camps but never stuck.

Kevin, the middle son, played defensive tackle at UNI. Had a very good career there (started either 3 or 4 years I believe).

Michael, the youngest son, played basketball in college.

Great people and a great family!

Last edited:

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006

I don't know what the plan is for a fanfest this year because of the construction but usually almost all of the seniors are there signing things.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Fan fest will be moved to Hilton this year. The senior football players will be signing autographs. I have a full-sized helmet, but it is from the 2000 Insight Bowl.

isulive2train

Feb 24, 2009
Ciclón Nación
The "I" flag used in the early 2000's
Wesley Johnson's game shoes (broken strap, might be why they were scrapped)
Autographed Posters from Men's and Women's Bball this last year.
Twister Towel, All In Towel, Hit It Hard Towel, Chevy Towel <(Hey they passed them out!)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron