ISU fall schedule announced

g4ce

Feb 6, 2018
As a professor, I would LOVE for this to happen permanently. Longer winter break and not coming back for 1-2 weeks to hammer everything out.

As a student it would be awesome too. No "projects" over Thanksgiving break and no F' it attitude after the break.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Very proactive approach by ISU. Nothing will be ideal this fall but this model makes sense to me. I could have seen them make finals week the week before thanksgiving but that's cutting the semester even shorter.

I assume there's really no rules set in place, colleges can start and end semesters whenever they want. I saw awhile back Stanford doesn't even start the semester during a normal year until late September.

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Will more students stay for Friday’s game?

Great opportunity for students to work retail during the long break

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

or even short internships and the like. I used to go back to my summer intern job and work the Xmas break which was great for the company because so many people were using vacation and I wanted the $$$ and time away from family. That turns 2.5-3 weeks into what, six? Not bad.

Just anecdotally, the UW(isconsin) system does finals Saturday-Saturday before Christmas so finals on the weekend aren't a new thing either. Haven't seen their plan yet, I know someone involved with discussions here and it's just nuts. Has ISU said what their plans are for housing, dining, extracurriculars?

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Getting the whole week off for Thanksgiving is not all that common nationally, so losing that should be a pretty minor complaint in the grand scheme.

If finals week will really be the Saturday through Wednesday before Thanksgiving, that would be worse. Finals should be Thursday-Friday, then the Monday-Wednesday of Thanksgiving week. 11/18 should be last day of class.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa

Like every year the die hard students will come back or the ones that don’t live really far. The ones that miss mommas teat will stay home. Probably 50% student crowd.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I wonder if ending the semester before Thanksgiving will just become permanent. The best professors gave up on teaching and having major assignments due after Thanksgiving break, anyways. Everybody's brains go to mush during the break, nobody puts in any work over the holiday, and trying to restart for only a few weeks is pointless.

If true, it is about time we did something about it. At least the new schedule won't make everyone pretend that they are being serious about school in December. However, I have a growing frustration with the softness of today's students. "Thusday is the new Friday." "Thanksgiving is the new Christmas."

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
If true, it is about time we did something about it. At least the new schedule won't make everyone pretend that they are being serious about school in December. However, I have a growing frustration with the softness of today's students. "Thusday is the new Friday." "Thanksgiving is the new Christmas."

Ugh just give me the degree already, I paid for it.

Not like I'm going to use anything from this class at an actual job.

Reactions: BCClone

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I would have loved to start Finals on the weekend and guarantee being done by Wednesday. I used to hate that weekend before finals and would invariably have a final on Monday then the rest on Wednesday, Thursday and ALWAYS on Friday!

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
If true, it is about time we did something about it. At least the new schedule won't make everyone pretend that they are being serious about school in December. However, I have a growing frustration with the softness of today's students. "Thursday is the new Friday." "Thanksgiving is the new Christmas."

Back in the quarter system, we had the week of Thanksgiving off because finals were the week before. But then that Monday after, the winter quarter started - So imagine going to classes for 3-4 weeks then 3 weeks off (Christmas/NYears) then trying to pick up where you were after that. Not ideal.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Back in the quarter system, we had the week of Thanksgiving off because finals were the week before. But then that Monday after, the winter quarter started - So imagine going to classes for 3-4 weeks then 3 weeks off (Christmas/NYears) then trying to pick up where you were after that. Not ideal.
Ah, those were the days, weren't they ... Although we didn't have three weeks off at Christmas. Just enough --by full week -- to get through New Year's.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
As a professor, I would LOVE for this to happen permanently. Longer winter break and not coming back for 1-2 weeks to hammer everything out.

Seems like if that gap between fall and spring remains wider, if the change were permanent it would open up more room for an accelerated winter term for those who wanted it- maybe online only?

Reactions: LindenCy

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
All I know is, if I was forced to wear a mask in every class all day, I would 100% take a gap year. Deal Breaker right there.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Seems like if that gap between fall and spring remains wider, if the change were permanent it would open up more room for an accelerated winter term for those who wanted it- maybe online only?

I think that would be a great option, and probably online would be best.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I got that, and I know how their calendar works.
I just know that students will be under immense family pressure to get home, and that's really tough if they have to be present for Wednesday finals. I also know that the university typically requires a class meeting during that scheduled time, although they'll never know if a class doesn't meet.

Therefore, I'm hoping that they're flexible and allow people to take these online so that a few thousand students aren't stuck with a "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" scenario for their trip home.

Well tough cookies, they have to grow up sometime. If they don't have to come back till a after New Years that's plenty of break. Plenty of lead time I guess if you don't like the schedule you can transfer before the semester starts.