ISU Coaching Poll

Who would be the best person to be ISU’s HC?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kccyclone3

May 16, 2015
Hard but easy question. For those that have watched UNLV this year does it appear they play hard and with a little fire?

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
It's one of the wives tales that spread like wild fire on this site. Right up there with Katie Prohm despising her existence in Ames, IA.

I’m sure she’s not having a great time because the program is struggling so badly, and all the stuff that gets thrown around.
I would assume they will be probably relocating back to where she’s from when this is all over.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Hard but easy question. For those that have watched UNLV this year does it appear they play hard and with a little fire?

Looks like a little bit of Fred ball. They play about as hard as any other 8-11 team. Nothing stands out as.........WHOA! Jenkins is a good guard. Grill is .........Grill. Are they the absolute worst....no. But if T.J. wasn't already a known commodity in Ames you wouldn't see his games, read his resume, set aside and go........THAT'S OUR GUY!

His recruiting here gets much ballyhoo...and he did well. But no one wants to include his days of recruiting under GMAC. Maybe it's because GMAC wasn't a good coach. But results at Creighton might suggest otherwise. Then why did his recruiting not do so well with GMAC...but with Fred? Was it more thanks to Fred, Matt, Bobby, Doc? I don't know. So if you take everything as a whole...he has recruited at ISU with a losing regime.....and a winning regime. So I guess if you like T.J........you emphasize Fred and state he was a smashing success. If you don't you say pump the brakes......remember GMAC? If you are objective......it's a wash.

But like I have said in other posts...being a known, familiar and comfortable hire...and maybe the cheapest along with being a native Badger, JP will probably will pull the trigger sooner rather than later for his friend. Because if they hire someone else now and things go well for at least 6 years...there is no guarantee JP will be at ISU at the point and thus the friendly, familiar AD T.J. knows will be gone. And unless he just knocks it out of the park at UNLV, more than likely so will his dream of coaching at ISU next time the job comes open.

So in summation.......can Iowa State can do better than T.J.....yes. Can we do worse.....yes. So in the end if Steve is gone, you have to trust the judgement of JP and hope he is objective and thorough, and puts a little more into it than......."welcome home buddy".

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Looks like a little bit of Fred ball. They play about as hard as any other 8-11 team. Nothing stands out as.........WHOA! Jenkins is a good guard. Grill is .........Grill. Are they the absolute worst....no. But if T.J. wasn't already a known commodity in Ames you wouldn't see his games, read his resume, set aside and go........THAT'S OUR GUY!

His recruiting here gets much ballyhoo...and he did well. But no one wants to include his days of recruiting under GMAC. Maybe it's because GMAC wasn't a good coach. But results at Creighton might suggest otherwise. Then why did his recruiting not do so well with GMAC...but with Fred? Was it more thanks to Fred, Matt, Bobby, Doc? I don't know. So if you take everything as a whole...he has recruited at ISU with a losing regime.....and a winning regime. So I guess if you like T.J........you emphasize Fred and state he was a smashing success. If you don't you say pump the brakes......remember GMAC? If you are objective......it's a wash.

But like I have said in other posts...being a known, familiar and comfortable hire...and maybe the cheapest along with being a native Badger, JP will probably will pull the trigger sooner rather than later for his friend. Because if they hire someone else now and things go well for at least 6 years...there is no guarantee JP will be at ISU at the point and thus the friendly, familiar AD T.J. knows will be gone. And unless he just knocks it out of the park at UNLV, more than likely so will his dream of coaching at ISU next time the job comes open.

So in summation.......can Iowa State can do better than T.J.....yes. Can we do worse.....yes. So in the end if Steve is gone, you have to trust the judgement of JP and hope he is objective and thorough, and puts a little more into it than......."welcome home buddy".

Didn’t TJ bring in Brackins and Diante?

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
source.gif
:chris:

Reactions: Snydes

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
]

so we’re looking for a guy that has never missed on a recruit. Looking forward to the Coach K or Jim Calipari era at ISU.

Tj will be introduced as the new coach after the season. So I’ll be his biggest fan.

He’s still new enough at this, so there will be a learning curve. He’s going to get a lot of patience and goodwill from much of the social media sect, so he’ll have time to figure it out.

• Dumb
Reactions: CyHawk1605

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Tj will be introduced as the new coach after the season. So I’ll be his biggest fan.

He’s still new enough at this, so there will be a learning curve. He’s going to get a lot of patience and goodwill from much of the social media sect, so he’ll have time to figure it out.
I agree, while I don't necessarily want it to be TJ I will support him 100% if he's leading the program, same as I have Steve. I welcome him to prove my assumptions (weak x's and o's, no identifiable style of play, lack of evidence that he can build a program etc) about him to be false.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

Tj had really good recruits under McDermott. Brackins, Johnson, Taylor, Garrett, Christopherson, Gilstrap,
Hamilton.
Basically anybody that was any good during that period.

Nococy

Jan 10, 2021
Fort Collins Co

so who do you think will be the assistants. hopefully bryan petersongets a look

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
If McDermott had changed styles while he was at ISU, he would probably still be the coach. Those last two years, especially his last one he should have won with the talent he had.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017

There really isn’t a coaching tree that you can look at and say that’s the style. That’s not a bad thing.

I say the same thing I would say with any new coach, two stud recruiters, and one older teacher type

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Thanks for clarifying. I just wasn’t sure how McKinley Wright made it so we will never be able to recruit in Minnesota.
McKinley Wright had an offer. He went to commit on a visit. Staff wouldn’t take his commitment. AAU circuit in Minneapolis is tight. That decision screwed CSP’s chances of ever getting a commitment from that State.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron