Iowa State Transfer/Recruiting Class 2024

Clone95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 13, 2019
People need to remember that Dishon Jackson fits a need more than any of these other transfer prospects. Heise is also a solid addition and none of our main 4 are leaving. This has been a good transfer season.

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
People need to remember that Dishon Jackson fits a need more than any of these other transfer prospects. Heise is also a solid addition and none of our main 4 are leaving. This has been a good transfer season.
Definitely feel a need at the 4 but also wonder if Milan + a few lbs from a full college off-season strength program can play some more there. It lets you get 3 of Tamin/Keshon/Curtis/Heise?/Nojus??? on the court along with a legit threat with Milan to beat you from deep. Different players for sure but thinking Karaban at the 4 for UConn, size wise anyway.

Making sure Tamin and Keshon have space to work with is a major key to turn 6 minute lulls or scoring droughts into 2 minutes instead, IMO.

Reactions: 2122

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Sure, Jackson and Heise are really nice adds, but we are currently 3 schollies short of a full roster. Less than a week ago, I think most felt really good about filling all 3 of those spots with “dudes”. Now?

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
Sure, Jackson and Heise are really nice adds, but we are currently 3 schollies short of a full roster. Less than a week ago, I think most felt really good about filling all 3 of those spots with “dudes”. Now?
Chatfield is the third commit and pretty solid, imo. IF (big if) he shoots like he did the year before last, he could be a pretty nice piece off the bench. Solid FT shooter which is nice, and Seattle was not a bad team. Their D was top 60 or so? and they won the CBI.

Not expecting 10ppg or anything like that but it shores up the 5 quite a bit in case JT needs more time.

Reactions: Klubber and NENick

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Have we gotten any of those? Look at our transfer commits. If anybody else notable is after them we're out of luck.
Jackson had a good list think it included Indiana, Xavier, USC and few other P5 schools.
Didn’t see a list on Heise but know Minnesota was all to get him and there rumors other MW P5 teams reached out.
Let’s not forget Osun, Brockington, Holmes, Gilbert, and even Pav had various P5 programs and NIL that TJ navigated.

Clone95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 13, 2019
Definitely feel a need at the 4 but also wonder if Milan + a few lbs from a full college off-season strength program can play some more there. It lets you get 3 of Tamin/Keshon/Curtis/Heise?/Nojus??? on the court along with a legit threat with Milan to beat you from deep. Different players for sure but thinking Karaban at the 4 for UConn, size wise anyway.

Making sure Tamin and Keshon have space to work with is a major key to turn 6 minute lulls or scoring droughts into 2 minutes instead, IMO.
Also, having a 5 with some offensive moves and range outside of 5 feet can help stave off droughts.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Chatfield is the third commit and pretty solid, imo. IF (big if) he shoots like he did the year before last, he could be a pretty nice piece off the bench. Solid FT shooter which is nice, and Seattle was not a bad team. Their D was top 60 or so? and they won the CBI.

Not expecting 10ppg or anything like that but it shores up the 5 quite a bit in case JT needs more time.
Yeah…I’m not discounting Chatfield, and I don’t think the poster I was quoting is either, but I was only speaking to the commits they mentioned, and then adding that we have a lot of work to do yet. “Work” that seemed to be damn near done, and now it seems far from.

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
Jackson had a good list think it included Indiana, Xavier, USC and few other P5 schools.
Didn’t see a list on Heise but know Minnesota was all to get him and there rumors other MW P5 teams reached out.
Let’s not forget Osun, Brockington, Holmes, Gilbert, and even Pav had various P5 programs and NIL that TJ navigated.
People gotta R-E-L-A-X. Currently ISU is returning maybe? probably? the best group of guards in the country or at least in the conversation. If Milan takes the jump we all hope this off-season, that is an elite group of 4.

Jackson and Heise give you immediate rotation guys imo and a legit starter at the 5 who brings an upgrade at ball skills at that position which is big. I'm hopeful that Nojus can earn some minutes quickly, too.

I do see a need at 4 for sure, and from there you go for the BPA, I'd think. No reason to bank a scholly at this point, take a chance on someone.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

We need 3 bigs that can play 25ish quality mpg. Right now, we have Jackson (who is new to the team) and Rock (who hasnt played a minute). And if you squint, Milan at the 4 can count.

edit: I did forget Chatfield, so that's some insurance, though same issues as Jackson in that he is new to system. (thanks wenkeej)

Typing that now, and given the plethora of guards, makes me think/realize that Milan getting 30mpg at the 4 is very probably the plan.

But if either of DJ or JTR cant play at a high level (or gets hurt), then thats a major problem. Really need another quality big for depth/insurance.

Last edited:
Reactions: cyclonehomer

wenkeej

Dec 28, 2015
Cambridge
We need 3 bigs that can play 25ish quality mpg. Right now, we have Jackson (who is new to the team) and Rock (who hasnt played a minute). And if you squint, Milan at the 4 can count.

Typing that now, and given the plethora of guards, makes me think/realize that Milan getting 30mpg at the 4 is very probably the plan.

But if either of DJ or JTR cant play at a high level (or gets hurt), then thats a major problem. Really need another quality big for depth/insurance.
Don't forget Chatfield.

Watson can slide into the undersized 4 for a few minutes a game, especially if he adds a little more muscle in the off-season.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Don't forget Chatfield.

Watson can slide into the undersized 4 for a few minutes a game, especially if he adds a little more muscle in the off-season.
I don't see why Watson can't play the 4 quite a bit. He's long enough and athletic enough to play taller than he is. He has a knack for rebounding. His body transformed a lot from year one to year 2. There's no reason to think that won't continue. His 3-point shot looks pretty good (small sample size problems of course) but he does need to develop some sort of inside game.

Last edited:

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Yeah…I’m not discounting Chatfield, and I don’t think the poster I was quoting is either, but I was only speaking to the commits they mentioned, and then adding that we have a lot of work to do yet. “Work” that seemed to be damn near done, and now it seems far from.
I get what your saying based on the expectation of adding Hadley and Kyle. But we are adding portal guys from a position of strength based on returnees.

A starting lineup of: Lipsey, Gilbert, Jones, Momcilovic and Jackson is very solid.

Add a bench of Heise, Watson, Chatfield, Rock, Pierce and Indrusaitis.

We could use a physical 4- but feel like we could have a talented lineup above.