Incoming Transfers?

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
You are using Texas as an example of a school that uses it to retain instead of recruit? Lol
Wasn't it said that Texas was giving like $50,000 or $100,000 to all of their starting offensive linemen? I'd say that is paying to retain them. Plus they don't have much portal action going on. So, yeah, I think they pay to keep players.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
  • Informative
Reactions: Aclone and CYCLNST8

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
No receiver transfer at all? Darn.

Jayden Higgins, who’s a 6’4” WR who chose us over a bunch of other P5 school.

Why doesn’t he have a Scout profile linked to our recruiting class?
Not sure why he doesn't show on our recruit list, but he shows committed on his page.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
It’s going to be interesting. The transfer rankings are messed up since half of them don’t have an actual ranking. In terms of # of commits, here is how the 2023 Big 12 shakes out.

Oklahoma State & Cincinnati - 12
Oklahoma & UCF - 11
Kansas - 10
Baylor - 9
West Virginia & Houston - 8
BYU & TCU - 7
K-State & Tech - 4
Iowa State & Texas - 3

We’ll see how it shakes out, but it’s interesting to see the last placed team have the fewest people transferring in and if that is offset by where returning production might rank?
IMO you need to look at # of guys transferring out as well. Okie State lost a lot of guys (I believe 15-20) to the portal, so it was pretty critical they bring in a big #.

Also, there are still a lot of kids who just entered the portal in the last week and the portal opens again from May 1-15. So my guess is the staff will continue to scour the portal to fill needs. Personally don't think we lost any guys that were top 24 in our depth chart. Kyle & Chambers got PT in 2022, but IMO their PT would have dropped in 2023.

So our staff can be patient/selective.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
There are a lot of uncommitted players in the portal from what I see on 247. And what I understand is there is only a couple more days for them to decide before this window closes, unless there are other circumstances, ie grad transfer, coach change etc. Which some in there could be. Obviously the window opens in May but, do these guys all get dropped from the portal and have to jump back in the next window?

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
There are a lot of uncommitted players in the portal from what I see on 247. And what I understand is there is only a couple more days for them to decide before this window closes, unless there are other circumstances, ie grad transfer, coach change etc. Which some in there could be. Obviously the window opens in May but, do these guys all get dropped from the portal and have to jump back in the next window?
I think you just have to enter the portal during that window. But a lot of guys in the portal will end up dropping down further than expected, and a lot will be done with football unless they decide to walk on somewhere.

• Informative
Reactions: 2speedy1

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
I have steadfastly refused to pay into this unmanaged sleazy system of bribes, tampering, kickbacks, and covert bidding wars. At least the NFL has an orderly system of drafts, free agency, trades, and salary caps. Do we even know where the billions of revenue dollars go every year? It is the Wild West where the rich barons make the all the rules and get all the money, while the honest homesteaders barely survive.

Last edited:

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I think you just have to enter the portal during that window. But a lot of guys in the portal will end up dropping down further than expected, and a lot will be done with football unless they decide to walk on somewhere.
Thats what I didnt know, if you had actually move by the time it closes, or just enter.

That makes sense, I just wasnt sure.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
IMO you need to look at # of guys transferring out as well. Okie State lost a lot of guys (I believe 15-20) to the portal, so it was pretty critical they bring in a big #.

Also, there are still a lot of kids who just entered the portal in the last week and the portal opens again from May 1-15. So my guess is the staff will continue to scour the portal to fill needs. Personally don't think we lost any guys that were top 24 in our depth chart. Kyle & Chambers got PT in 2022, but IMO their PT would have dropped in 2023.

So our staff can be patient/selective.
True, but we did lose 8 scholarships to the portal and so far have 3 portal players coming in.

That tells me we are rolling with what we have and gave scholarships to more HS players (without looking at the scholarship chart, I could be wrong).

We’ll see how it plays out, but teams like TCU and KU had major success with the portal heavy plan last season.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
True, but we did lose 8 scholarships to the portal and so far have 3 portal players coming in.

That tells me we are rolling with what we have and gave scholarships to more HS players (without looking at the scholarship chart, I could be wrong).

We’ll see how it plays out, but teams like TCU and KU had major success with the portal heavy plan last season.
I think the staff will be active in the May portal period. The coaches will have a chance to see how 2 deeps develop after spring ball.

IMO the May period could be equally as big with players who didn't win their position battles during spring ball and looking for starting spot somewhere else.

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
I think the staff will be active in the May portal period. The coaches will have a chance to see how 2 deeps develop after spring ball.

IMO the May period could be equally as big with players who didn't win their position battles during spring ball and looking for starting spot somewhere else.
Plus with the new transfer rules, transferring for playing time is not going to be allowed it seems

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
Wasn't it said that Texas was giving like $50,000 or $100,000 to all of their starting offensive linemen? I'd say that is paying to retain them. Plus they don't have much portal action going on. So, yeah, I think they pay to keep players.
JP said that on a call in show I believe that Texas has been paying their entire O-Line $50,000 each forever. If I remember, it was in reference to the Horns Down AD telling JP that ISU Women's outbid them on a recent recruit. JP said we didnt even bid and the player chose us. I believe the player was from Texas too. JP laughed it off as he made the OL comment as now things are out in the open, but paying to pay has been going on at Texas forever. Horns Down!

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

IowaState88

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2022
Iowa attempted to right their wrongs on offense through the Portal rather than coaching changes. We did the opposite. Only time will tell if either did enough.

Iowa has the benefit of a D that can win them the West with even a few pts per game improvement.

ISU plays a much tougher schedule so we need more overall help.
Had a couple thoughts after the dust has settled from the whole Brian Ferentz debacle over in the eastern side of the state

- Iowa truly had some of the worst pure offensive talent ever last year. Think about it. Petras at QB - horrible. OL - horrible (worst in years for them). WR - terrible (literally had walk ons starting for half of the games). Only areas they were decent at was TE and RB. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think BF is a P5 OC but wow he had nothing to work with last year. Why don’t Iowa fans ever talk about that?? It honestly would’ve been difficult for Andy Reid as OC to have a top 50 offense with the roster they had. But all they want to do is yell about nepotism and firing.

- In my opinion, they achieve the “goals” of 25 ppg and 7 wins next year. They have an easy schedule, like usual smh, and will have a functional QB, RB with some explosiveness, potentially upgraded OL and solid TE. 7/8 wins and 26 PPG would be hilarious, and would be another nonstop off season of complaining Hawk fans. LOL.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron